Blackwood update

Nicomo

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Fansinz88 said:

That is if there are any takers on him. 

Probably going to have to play him a bit to see if he gets any interest. He also only had one bad game after the opener so the Devils will want to gauge his value before making any moves. 

It’s really hard to argue that Schmid should go down but he’ll have to for at least a little while. 

50 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

He’s probably worth more to us as an insurance policy than the late rounder we’d get back. We just saw a season completely derailed last year due to a rash of goalie injuries. 

Exactly. The idea of having this team play so hard and make the playoffs only to have a VV injury mean we’re trying to make a deep run with Schmid/Daws is not reassuring. 

3 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Probably going to have to play him a bit to see if he gets any interest. He also only had one bad game after the opener so the Devils will want to gauge his value before making any moves. 

It’s really hard to argue that Schmid should go down but he’ll have to for at least a little while. 

Probably but how much run can he get with vitek playing the way he is? 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Exactly. The idea of having this team play so hard and make the playoffs only to have a VV injury mean we’re trying to make a deep run with Schmid/Daws is not reassuring. 

But do you think blackwood could take us deep? 

Just now, Fansinz88 said:

Probably but how much run can he get with vitek playing the way he is? 

Vitek's been mostly terrific but it's not like he has a history of this over the course of a full season...I'd love for him to continue doing this but I'm not going to pretend he's a sure thing.  Blackwood may wind up getting a look down the line.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If he is healthy, I would feel better about him than Schmid, Daws, or bringing in a stiff like Gillies or Hammond like last year, 

Well I think bringing in a stiff like those at the echl level is by far not a reasonable possibility with being first in the division with 21 wins already. 

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Well that would depend on who else was available, wouldn't it?

With the team playing this well do you really think management would bring in jokes like that over schmid if Blackwood is moved or isn’t available? If there’s no options out there other than that garbage I’ll take my chances with schmid. No problems with that. I’m not saying give Blackwood away but with vitek playing this way I’m just not sure I’m given Blackwood many games. 

1 minute ago, Fansinz88 said:

With the team playing this well do you really think management would bring in jokes like that over schmid if Blackwood is moved or isn’t available? If there’s no options out there other than that garbage I’ll take my chances with schmid. No problems with that. I’m not saying give Blackwood away but with vitek playing this way I’m just not sure I’m given Blackwood many games. 

Now, I didn’t say anything about playing him over Schmid. I want him around as insurance in case of an injury. I will feel much better with Schmidt and Blackwood than Schmid and Daws. But again, only if Blackwood is healthy.

The main problem is, we have seen what healthy Blackwood can do. Who are you going to trade for in the event of an injury that will bring the equivalent? The answer is probably nobody, he would be the kind of guy you were looking for, not the kind of guy you were looking to trade.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Keep him down there, weak mind and body. 

I’d urge everyone to exercise caution when trying to evaluate rehab starts. First live action in a while, and you have no idea if his coach gave him anything to specifically focus on (or if the trainer told him to ease his way back in.) 

In baseball all the time an elite pitcher is in the minors for a rehab and goes like 2.1 IP 7ER and everyone freaks out and then a week later is back in the majors playing like a beast. 

Give him a few more games before rushing to say he’s cooked. He had a brutal start to the season but rebounded nicely and I don’t think the Devils should be hasty in moving him just yet.

3 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I’d urge everyone to exercise caution when trying to evaluate rehab starts. First live action in a while, and you have no idea if his coach gave him anything to specifically focus on (or if the trainer told him to ease his way back in.) 

In baseball all the time an elite pitcher is in the minors for a rehab and goes like 2.1 IP 7ER and everyone freaks out and then a week later is back in the majors playing like a beast. 

Give him a few more games before rushing to say he’s cooked. He had a brutal start to the season but rebounded nicely and I don’t think the Devils should be hasty in moving him just yet.

I think he's been rather sh!t for a long time so I don't have much confidence in him period. I just want to move on from him completely and if he keeps it up maybe they'll put him on waivers and keep him there.

I simply don't like the guy. It's been quite some time where I've actively disliked a player on this team and wanted them gone completely. 

I'm all aboard the Vitek/Schmid train. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

Other than the opener, Blackwood only had one bad game before his injury. Vanecek is also showing signs of settling down a bit. He’s allowed 4 goals in 3 of his last 4 games, including getting pulled in one. Of course he also has a shutout in the other game, so the consistency is a little all over.

It’s much safer to keep them both through the season and see if Blackwood can build up any interest in the trade market. Putting him on waivers and losing him for nothing or trading him for a 4th or something makes no sense. 

• Like 1