GDT - Devils vs Bruins 12/23/22 7:00pm MSGSN2

NJDfan1711

Just now, Lateralous said:

Let me preface my comment with the fact that I hope I never see MacKenzie Blackwood in net for the Devils ever again after this season.  

With that being said, he won the game the other night after the other two have struggled through a 6 game losing streak.  I dont think this has anything to do with showcasing Blackwood.  IMO, this is an all hands on deck situation at the moment and with the really small NHL sample sizes of Vanacek and Schmid being used as a #1, there's a really good chance we will need all three this season.    The ONLY way to make sure all three are getting regular playing time while they're all healthy is to put Schmid in Utica.  I don't see the issue.   

The problem is, yours is a common sense answer and we don’t like those here on NJDevs. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The problem is, yours is a common sense answer and we don’t like those here on NJDevs. 

I get what Lateralous is saying, but not sure I want to see Mac getting a game against a team like the Bruins.  But yeah even if I’m not a fan, I get (and have always gotten) that he’s not getting mothballed.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I get what Lateralous is saying, but not sure I want to see Mac getting a game against a team like the Bruins.  But yeah even if I’m not a fan, I get (and have always gotten) that he’s not getting mothballed.

Conversely, do you want Vanecek to take a beating against the Bruins and further ruin whatever confidence he has left after being beaten a bunch of games in a row? Now, maybe he would have, maybe he wouldn’t, but I can certainly see why you might want to hold him back from a game like this. 

Blackwood costed us this game with severson sh!tty fvcking play.

Apart from Bratt Nico and Jack we have no real constant goal scorers which will never make us a real playoff team.

That said, we need Palat back ASAP in terms of offence and goals. We need Blackwood to never touch that crease again and Marino and Graves and Bastian back and ship severson the fvck out of jersey. 

I know people like to get on Sharongovich for being streaky, but man does Dawson Mercer tend to go MIA when he’s not playing with Jack. 6 straight games now without a point. 

I wish Ruff would stop expecting a 21 year old non-elite player to drive his own line. Put him back with Hughes and just leave them together FFS. Haula the face off master lost a big one cleanly tonight on the 1st Bruins goal anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I know people like to get on Sharongovich for being streaky, but man does Dawson Mercer tend to go MIA when he’s not playing with Jack. 6 straight games now without a point. 

I wish Ruff would stop expecting a 21 year old non-elite player to drive his own line. Put him back with Hughes and just leave them together FFS. Haula the face off master lost a big one cleanly tonight on the 1st Bruins goal anyway. 

It’s ponderous to say the least. The trade off for winning an extra 20-ish percent of faceoffs is quite costly. How anyone could have seen Hughes and Mercer play together and not know that they’re magic together?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Conversely, do you want Vanecek to take a beating against the Bruins and further ruin whatever confidence he has left after being beaten a bunch of games in a row? Now, maybe he would have, maybe he wouldn’t, but I can certainly see why you might want to hold him back from a game like this. 

Or did Vitek going 5 for 5 against Boston boost his confidence enough to get him back on track too lol

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I mean, right now, outside of the last 2 games in which Sharangovich has scored, I totally understand it. 

Did McLeod or Wood outscore him?

Wood has been mia physically and off the scoresheet, when we were winning everyone was getting 14-18 mins, and everyone was contributing, now he's back to riding Jack and hamilton

3 minutes ago, ilzz89 said:

Did McLeod or Wood outscore him?

Wood has been mia physically and off the scoresheet, when we were winning everyone was getting 14-18 mins, and everyone was contributing, now he's back to riding Jack and hamilton

wood and mcleod bring things to the table that sharangovich simply doesn’t. when sharangovich isn’t scoring he is one of the worst players in the league, full stop. Wood and McLeod at least bring effort, speed, and some semblance of snarl.

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

wood and mcleod bring things to the table that sharangovich simply doesn’t. when sharangovich isn’t scoring he is one of the worst players in the league, full stop. Wood and McLeod at least bring effort, speed, and some semblance of snarl.

Sharongovich has the same # of goals as Wood and McLeod combined. For a team struggling to provide offense snarl isn’t really my main concern.

He also is a very good penalty killer, so to say he brings nothing outside of his shot isn’t even true anyway. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah about sums it up.  Not saying he should’ve pitched a shutout, but he needed to be better. 

17 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Management needs to get this guy outta here, besides not passing the obvious eye test he's sucking with the math stats nerds too... 

He’s a sh!t goalie and always has been except for one year a long time ago now where he was acceptable. He’s a 3rd string goalie. That’s simply what his level is.  His rebound control is up there with Jon Gillies. That’s his contemporary. Schmid needed to be up here with the club.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

Thats the worst take ever, shara is a great pker and has a great shot, wood and McLeod are fast that's about it. Also Mikey can't score to save his life

just because sharangovich plays on the PK doesn’t mean he’s an “excellent PKer” lol. Haula gets more PP time per game than Sharangovich gets PK time — is he an “excellent” power play forward? 

Edited by MB3

4 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Sending Schmid down was a bad move the moment it was made. I get not wanting to lose Blackwood for nothing, but teams can carry 3 goalies. And the kid was playing out of his mind. 

But hey - Blackwood was good for like half a season 3 years ago…

This is what I don't understand. Schmid earned the job, so why does Blackwood keep getting opportunities? To me, Blackwood represented hope when we had not much else in the system. But now that there is a better option, I don't think Blackwood has done much to prove he's the guy. Plenty of goalies have stretches of good play, and it doesn't earn them endless opportunities once the good play stops.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

just because sharangovich plays on the PK doesn’t mean he’s an “excellent PKer” lol. Haula gets more PP time per game than Sharangovich gets PK time — is he an “excellent” power play forward? 

No, but the penalty kill is actually…you know…good. Currently 9th in the league. So Sharongovich is actually contributing to a functioning unit. 

The power play otoh sucks ass, and Erik Haula is part of that.