Damon Severson to the Columbus Blue Jackets for 3rd Rnd

Devilsfan118

1 minute ago, Devilsfan118 said:

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1667161155251367937

Damon Severson and NJ are working on a sign and trade to Columbus. 8x$6.25M

Oh my that is a TERRIBLE move by Columbus.  Columbus is signing up for Seves' Age 29-36 years?!  The AAV is about what I expected for a UFA like Seves but EIGHT YEARS?!  Imagine THAT GUY when he declines?  Wow that's bad.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah I’ll take that. 

Yeah it's basically a free 3rd-rounder.  No complaints.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

He was the longest tenured Devil. I’m guessing that would now be Miles Wood?

Him, then Ole Yeller. And neither might be here end of summer

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah it's basically a free 3rd-rounder.  No complaints.  

Yeah we couldn’t give that money for that term.

I hope he stays healthy but the jackets never experience success. (Hence, no good luck to him)

• Like 1

Just now, Nicomo said:

If those two go I guess it would be Nico and Bratt. That’s actually pretty crazy to think about. 

The end of the dark ages. Not trying to be sarcastic prick but that chapter is mercifully closing rapidly and we’re back on the correct path, thankfully

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Yeah we couldn’t give that money for that term.

I hope he stays healthy but the jackets never experience success. (Hence, no good luck to him)

Oh I figured he was getting at least $6 million AAV, just never thought someone would actually want him for eight years.  I figured five max…and if Columbus had done that, I wouldn’t have killed them for it.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

22 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Oh my that is a TERRIBLE move by Columbus.  Columbus is signing up for Seves' Age 29-36 years?!  The AAV is about what I expected for a UFA like Seves but EIGHT YEARS?!  Imagine THAT GUY when he declines?  Wow that's bad.

That contract is going to age like milk, I can't believe they gave him 8 years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

That contract is going to age like milk, I can't believe they gave him 8 years.

In Seves’ wildest dreams I don’t think that he could’ve imagined being signed to a max term.  Anything over five years would’ve felt like a lot to me.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jagknife said:

https://twitter.com/capfriendly/status/1667172284325408770?s=46&t=iY7dOWxkATrezoqlCWW3zw

year 5 he has a 20 team no trade list after 4 years of full NMC. Wow.. just freaking wow

Did they know they were acquiring Damon Severson and not Cale Makar?! 🤣

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

How does Jarmo still have a job there?

Seriously, Jarmo could’ve gotten to the open market and I have little doubts that a 7-year deal at the same AAV that he just signed for (was anyone going beyond that?) would’ve gotten it done.  Instead they give up a 3rd-rounder just so they can sign friggin’ Minus Man to a full eight years?!  It’s baffling as all fvck.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

Seves' final 45 GP as a Devil:  5 G, 22 A, 27 Pts, +9, 20:27 ATOI per game

Not going to go crazy looking for his metrics, but the above is what the BJs are clearly hoping to get out of Damon for at least the first 5-6 years of this deal.  All I gotta say is...best of luck Columbus.  Hell of a gamble you just took!

• Like 1

Holy sh!t. Good on Fitz to get something for him. Best of luck to Damon. Never would have thought he would go to a divisional rival.

NJ.com is reporting a sign-and-trade. Severson locked up for 8 years at 6.25M/year which is definitely what I would say we would trying to avoid paying him when you have Nemec waiting in the wings who will be cost controlled. 

https://www.nj.com/devils/2023/06/devils-trade-damon-severson-to-blue-jackets-what-it-means.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1667161155251367937

Damon Severson and NJ are working on a sign and trade to Columbus. 8x$6.25M

Good on Fitz for getting a pick out of CBJ for him. Exactly the kind of salary and term we were trying to avoid giving him. 8 years is too much for us to give and that salary is a little high.  

Good for Damon and best of luck to him out there. That's a top 4 kind of contract and I would say he earned it. Hope he's a fixture in the CBJ top 4 for a while. I remember some analyst saying how overloaded CBJ was with LHD and needed to go get a top 4 right hander. Never would have imagined they were looking at Seves. 

Edited by RizzMB30

59 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

it's about 3 years too long. He has a good track record for playing games, though, which is why he was able to get 8.

55 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Let’s hope neither Blackwood or regular wood are here next season. Id like to say we need to replace woods grit but he doesn’t even bring a whole lot of that anymore either. 

• Like 3