official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

90-minute games where the teams might register 15-20 shots on goal COMBINED (and I'm being generous).

And yeah plenty of 1-0 hockey games that come down to excellent goaltending...not all of course, but I've seen my share.

I was actually just about to ask what the average shots on goal in a soccer game Is. Clearly in a 1-0 hockey game, you’re probably seeing a minimum of 40 SOG so there’s at least an opportunity to score. That does keep it more exciting than if the guys were just skating in circles. 

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I was actually just about to ask what the average shots on goal in a soccer game Is. Clearly in a 1-0 hockey game, you’re probably seeing a minimum of 40 SOG so there’s at least an opportunity to score. That does keep it more exciting than if the guys were just skating in circles. 

They also miss a lot of shots on goal in soccer by a country mile.  As in not even close.

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Depends on the teams but I'd rather smash my face into a wall then watch a few seasons of Stephen Gionta and some of the other scrubs we've had over this past decade shoot pucks straight into the opposing goalies chest. 

10 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Depends on the teams but I'd rather smash my face into a wall then watch a few seasons of Stephen Gionta and some of the other scrubs we've had over this past decade shoot pucks straight into the opposing goalies chest. 

Like they could hit what they were aiming at lol. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Like they could hit what they were aiming at lol. 

Stephen's bro could launch logoseekers with the best of 'em.  

23 hours ago, Crisis said:

If you want a shot in the arm, check out the Netflix series "Drive to Survive".  It's incredible.  Basically Netflix sends a crew to follow the F1 season and they give you a really nice inside look at the drivers and teams.  It starts with the 2018 season and continues from there.  I think they released the latest in January which was the 2021 racing season.

It's also a ton of fun to wager on.  Especially live betting.

One of my son's is into F1 and told me about it. He was at the Hungarian Grand Prix last year and missed the Melbourne GP in '20 by a week due to Covid

6 hours ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

One of my son's is into F1 and told me about it. He was at the Hungarian Grand Prix last year and missed the Melbourne GP in '20 by a week due to Covid

How did he like it? Is it worth going to see it live? The tickets are like $500+.

On 8/4/2022 at 4:34 PM, Crisis said:

How did he like it? Is it worth going to see it live? The tickets are like $500+.

If you don't care about missing the vast majority of the race and are just there for the experience then it can be worth it. Personally I never go to road courses anymore besides new jersey motorsports park in south jersey and that's only cause I can back up the car straight to the fence and watch from there without paying extra but a lot of big series don't race there. 

If you have money to burn then go for it but personally I think the experience is so much better on TV but F1 is also my least favorite of any series of racing so unless someone invited me to their super yacht just so I could say I saw the Monaco grand prix live I'd never go again.

If you're just into racing in general it's hard to top Monster Energy Supercross that comes to Metlife, it's definitely the best bang for your buck in terms of ticket cost and entertainment and they put on an amazing show and those guys are nuts. If you're more into NASCAR then in our area Dover, Delaware is a great place to see the race. Pocono is dog sh!t because it's hard to see a lot of the action cause the stands really aren't high enough and unlike a lot of sports the higher the better in terms of being able to see for the vast majority of NASCAR/Indycar tracks. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

On 8/5/2022 at 8:51 PM, Satans Hockey said:

If you don't care about missing the vast majority of the race and are just there for the experience then it can be worth it. Personally I never go to road courses anymore besides new jersey motorsports park in south jersey and that's only cause I can back up the car straight to the fence and watch from there without paying extra but a lot of big series don't race there. 

If you have money to burn then go for it but personally I think the experience is so much better on TV but F1 is also my least favorite of any series of racing so unless someone invited me to their super yacht just so I could say I saw the Monaco grand prix live I'd never go again.

If you're just into racing in general it's hard to top Monster Energy Supercross that comes to Metlife, it's definitely the best bang for your buck in terms of ticket cost and entertainment and they put on an amazing show and those guys are nuts. If you're more into NASCAR then in our area Dover, Delaware is a great place to see the race. Pocono is dog sh!t because it's hard to see a lot of the action cause the stands really aren't high enough and unlike a lot of sports the higher the better in terms of being able to see for the vast majority of NASCAR/Indycar tracks. 

Awesome, thanks for the info. I'm not huge into auto racing but I'll have to look into the Supercross. I'm more into the road courses.

5 hours ago, MB3 said:

today I got yelled at in a professional setting by an interior decorator for using the word “female”. apparently AFAB “a female at birth” is now the correct way of speaking.

im as far from transphobic as you can get. my college roommate and best friend (was a groomsman in my wedding) is gay and when I hang out with him he has several trans friends that I really get along with. 

but it feels like we’ve gone a little off the fvckin deep end here, am I wrong?

Short answer:  no, you’re not wrong

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MB3 said:

today I got yelled at in a professional setting by an interior decorator for using the word “female”. apparently AFAB “a female at birth” is now the correct way of speaking.

im as far from transphobic as you can get. my college roommate and best friend (was a groomsman in my wedding) is gay and when I hang out with him he has several trans friends that I really get along with. 

Sucks you had to deal with that, sounds embarrassing.  I don't think I would do anything different going forward.  I mean, what are the chances that happens again?  Feels like you're blindly walking through a minefield.

7 hours ago, MB3 said:

image.gif.6271a680c120793a72d6e1d8ab5cedb7.gif

8 hours ago, MB3 said:

The more I'm thinking about this, the more pissed off I'm becoming.

Like you, I'm not at all "phobic" about any particular sexuality...I'd say more indifferent.  I'm all for gay/trans rights (including marriage of course), but as far as judging people goes, all I care about is that you're a good person and someone whose company I can enjoy.  A person's sexuality simply doesn't register as part of that equation for me, never has.

At the same time, the "rules" (which seem to be written on the fly, and heaven forbid you're not up on the latest version of these rules) and heavy-handedness which some of the "oh we're just so much more enlightened than YOU" crowd insist on "enforcing" them is really fvcking annoying.  You obviously meant absolutely NO harm with your use of "female"...did that interior decorator really need to come down on you by yelling at you?!  Even if in that person's eyes you were somehow "wrong", maybe that individual could have taken you aside later and explained why he or she didn't agree with your terminology, in wanting to share that viewpoint with you.  Sorry, most people grew up believing that men were men and women were women...not saying that there isn't room for evolution and shades of gray and updated definitions, but not everyone is going to just instantly adjust to what for them is a new (and often confusing) reality.  Yelling at people who aren't fully "in the know" isn't helping anyone, and if anything, can help to turn people off, which obviously isn't supposed to be the intent.  AFAIC, that interior decorator was really being an a$$hole...congratulations on being so superior.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, MB3 said:

It is becoming a minefield. A rather large portion of my professional groups have started adding  he/him she/her they/them on their email signatures to head of these kind of confrontations and cause themselves unexpected embarrassment. Thanksfully it happened the one time I guessed wrong the individual was more polite about it.

If the person offended is in any position of power you would have been in front of HR, count your blessings.

• Like 1

Personal opinion, I'll call you whatever you want me to call you. But I shouldn't be expected to know what that is if you haven't told me.

If you look like a woman, wear makeup like a woman, wear a dress like a woman, have long hair like a woman, wear women's shoes, have a husband and two kids, and you identify as an avocado, don't be offended if I call you "her", just tell me you're an avocado and next time I will call you an avocado.  Nothing to get upset about. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Personal opinion, I'll call you whatever you want me to call you. But I shouldn't be expected to know what that is if you haven't told me.

If you look like a woman, wear makeup like a woman, wear a dress like a woman, have long hair like a woman, wear women's shoes, have a husband and two kids, and you identify as an avocado, don't be offended if I call you "her", just tell me you're an avocado and next time I will call you an avocado.  Nothing to get upset about. 

I wear men's clothes, have a short haircut and boobs. I get called Sir every so often. I find it funny. It really isn't that big of a deal to me. 

3 minutes ago, bostondevil11 said:

I wear men's clothes, have a short haircut and boobs.

So do some of my friends…only they’re not women.  Just very out-of-shape men.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Its a different world. Used to be the problem was trying to keep up with the segue from "colored" to "African American" to "black".

I simply am baffled by individuals who wish to be refered to in third person plural. This makes words meaningless.

How many will show up, If "they" are coming to dinner? It forces the use of proper names, I guess.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, point said:

Its a different world. Used to be the problem was trying to keep up with the segue from "colored" to "African American" to "black".

I simply am baffled by individuals who wish to be refered to in third person plural. This makes words meaningless.

How many will show up, If "they" are coming to dinner? It forces the use of proper names, I guess.

Yeah I'm with you on the bolded...I'm very accepting of a lot of what amounts to gender re-definition (I have a trans employee), but plural pronouns for singular entities are too much for me.  It gets to a point where I simply think "I have don't have to accept every single new way of gender identities on YOUR terms."

I'm never going to go out of my way to insult or confront anyone insisting on being referred to as "they/them", but doesn't mean that I don't think that part of it is a bit much.  

10 minutes ago, point said:

My daughter is in various musical theater programs, with kids and adults, so we know a handful of “theys”. 

It’s not only confusing at times, but it’s a very unnatural way to speak after saying she and he your whole life. But I do try the best I can. Most of the time the subject is not present and it’s just my daughter correcting me. 

It doesn’t really take much effort to make people comfortable, but as I noted in my previous post, there’s no reason to be belligerent about it. If you are a pork roll, egg and cheese sandwich, tell me you are and I’ll call you that. But when you look like a person, don’t expect me to automatically know. 

• Like 1