GDT: Devils @ wsh Lower Cases, 7:30 pm, TNT - First Game of 2024

Few thoughts from a massive two points:

1. Nico Hischier looks like a new man with linemates that can actually skate. What a difference with him not being anchored down by Palat.

2. Our entire defensive continues to look dreadful, from coverage to breakouts to the penalty kill. Lindy needs to fix this like last month. It’s getting ridiculous.

3. Luke Hughes had his worst game as an NHLer. So many turnovers and blown assignments tonight. Kevin Bahl continues to play like he wants to be the next Brendan Smith. Fitz needs to bring in a veteran blue liner.

4. Nico Daws is our number 1. All it took was two games to take the spot from the helpless Vanecek.

5. Someone needs to tell Jack to get off the perimeter so much. His fellow centermen are scoring goals by getting into the middle of the ice, finding the soft spots in the zone.

Edited by devlman
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Speaking of the next one…I give Dawson that one.  If he’s not heavily taxed and feels good to go, I give him Vancouver too.  Devils have several days off after that so he can rest after.  And I like the idea of giving VV several days off to clear his head.

Bold strategy, Cotton. :P

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, devlman said:

3. Luke Hughes had his worst game as an NHLer. So many turnovers and blown assignments tonight

He looked fine to me. Jack was the bad Hughes brother tonight. 

Also, look at Holtz!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

He looked fine to me. Jack was the bad Hughes brother tonight. 

Also, look at Holtz!

One of Holtz’s best all-around games of his career.  Wish he had just a little more speed, but he’s pretty much held his own in the NHL all season.

• Like 2

Some more signs that the Caps are coming back to Earth:  not only are they just 6-6-4 in their last 16…they’ve managed just 3 regulation wins over that stretch…and only 12 total on their season.  They’ve also been outscored by a pretty sizable margin (-19 after tonight’s loss, when eliminating phantom shootout goals), and don’t score much at all.  Feels like a team that’s going to fall off a cliff at some point.  

9 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

One of Holtz’s best all-around games of his career.  Wish he had just a little more speed, but he’s pretty much held his own in the NHL all season.

He had a real good game, and I thought Nemec was good too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Some more signs that the Caps are coming back to Earth:  not only are they just 6-6-4 in their last 16…they’ve managed just 3 regulation wins over that stretch…and only 12 total on their season.  They’ve also been outscored by a pretty sizable margin (-19 after tonight’s loss, when eliminating phantom shootout goals), and don’t score much at all.  Feels like a team that’s going to fall off a cliff at some point.  

They’re scrappy but, yes, short on talent and long in the tooth. For whatever reason, I don’t think we are making this Caps team eat our dust. It’s going to be quite a fight to make it in.

14 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Apparently Jack was the sick forward last night that Ruff was talking about. Explains him looking a bit off. 

Ya he did look a bit pale and out of sorts, so when they said someone was sick I also though it was him. An off night, under the weather, he'll snap back with another 3 pt night soon

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, bostondevil11 said:

When they tied it at 3-3 I thought oh no another crap game against the caps. Glad they were able to come right back and score.  May go to the game in DC in Feb.

That point blank save by Daws between their third goal and right before our 4th was exactly the type of timely save we've been missing all season.     

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Apparently Jack was the sick forward last night that Ruff was talking about. Explains him looking a bit off. 

Also helps explains why Clarke didn't play. If it was sick Lazar vs. Clarke, you probably play Clarke. If it's sick Jack vs. Clarke, Jack is more likely to help the team win in what was expected to be a close game.

• Like 2