GDT: 3/3/2024 Devils @ Kings, 3 pm, TNT

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

I’m not making comparisons, but yes he is a backup.

Edit: and he is 34.

He’s started 362 over the past 7 seasons, including this one, and of course two of those seasons were abbreviated.  He’s started 57+ four times in the 6 seasons leading into this one.

If you’re not keen on him, that’s one thing, but he is absolutely an NHL starting goalie.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He’s started 362 over the past 7 seasons, including this one, and of course two of those seasons were abbreviated.  He’s started 57+ four times in the 6 seasons leading into this one.

If you’re not keen on him, that’s one thing, but he is absolutely an NHL starting goalie.

He clearly doesn’t know a damn thing about hockey. So just let him continue to delude himself. Literally nothing he asserts is remotely accurate about Markstrom beyond his age. 

Regardless of whether you think he is a fit in NJ or not, no sensible observer of the game could conclude he is a backup. 

“Markström stands out as that fit for multiple reasons. The most important is that he’s rock solid, putting together yet another strong season in Calgary. He’s a goalie who’s shown he can thrive on a high-octane team that likes to trade chances, and New Jersey associate coach Travis Green will be able to attest to that. Markström had two top-10 Vezina finishes playing for Green in Vancouver in 2018-19 and 2019-20 and played for him at AHL Utica as well.

Crucially, too, Markström is signed for two more years beyond this season, which is key given the Devils’ bubble status for this postseason.”

Edited by smelly
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, smelly said:

He clearly doesn’t know a damn thing about hockey. So just let him continue to delude himself. 

Regardless of whether you think he is a fit in NJ or not, no sensible observer of the game could conclude he is a backup. 

Ok, I will admit I was wrong.  He is a start.  I still don’t want the Devils to trade for him.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

Fitz bears a lot of blame too.  He did nothing when Dougie was put on LTIR to shore of the defense or at the goalie position.  

Insane to me that he sets the expectation this year to compete for the playoffs, and then does nothing, literally nothing of significance, during the season to improve the team as issues arise.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Insane to me that he sets the expectation this year to compete for the playoffs, and then does nothing, literally nothing of significance, during the season to improve the team as issues arise.

At some point, he's gonna have to answer for that...if nothing else, to at least give us SOME level of insight as to what his thinking was.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

At some point, he's gonna have to answer for that...if nothing else, to at least give us SOME level of insight as to what his thinking was.

100% agreed, going to elaborate more in the other thread you created but I completely agree.

• Like 1

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

Even with as bad as the staff have seemingly been, I would still have not believed you if you told me before the game they'd pull the goalie and not send out the extra man.

If that's not a fireable offense on top of all of the OTHER fireable offenses that Lindy & Co have racked up this year, I don't know what is.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If that's not a fireable offense on top of all of the OTHER fireable offenses that Lindy & Co have racked up this year, I don't know what is.

Yet here we sit at 12:30 with not a peep from Fitz, as usual.