GDT: 3/11/24 - Devils @ Rangers 7:00 pm NHLN/MSGSN/MSG

ButlerBulldog

Just now, slasher72 said:

I disagree. This team needs an enforcer if they're going to play the Rags and Isles several times a year. If MacDermid wasn't on the ice tonight Rempe would have been headhunting our stars. He tried to go after Jack but was too damn slow..

The dude only played 3:44 and made multiple costly errors leading to Rangers chances.   He looks unplayable to me.  We need toughness throughout the lineup, not the Ryan Reeves plan.   

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

And I will. Loudly. 

Pretty much everyone will.

He used up his mulligan…if he had, say, canned Lindy weeks ago and replaced him with Berube and the Devils were in the race but fell out the last couple of weeks ago, Fitz would’ve gotten more of a pass.  But now he’s just gotta get the next moves right.  Team’s gotta make the playoffs at least a few times before he can earn any more “mulligan” seasons.

• Like 1

Just now, slasher72 said:

I disagree. This team needs an enforcer if they're going to play the Rags and Isles several times a year. If MacDermid wasn't on the ice tonight Rempe would have been headhunting our stars. He tried to go after Jack but was too damn slow..

Yeah, Rempe’s the classic schoolyard bully who loves to pick on people smaller than him but won’t fight anyone bold enough to stand up to him.  I’m fine with the Devils keeping MacDermid if he can discourage goons from targeting the Devils skilled players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Max20Characters said:

Only problem is Hamilton-Seigenthaler were our top pairing to start the season and they were both playing really bad at that time

I’m hoping the combination of a new coach and Nemec and Luke not being rookies will also make a difference.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Hahahahaha.  One shot in 5 minutes. Good luck explaining that, Green. He should be honest and say "What so you want me to tell you? They/we sucked"

Lemaire would say it but he’s got credibility and wasn’t part of the problem on the bench the way Green has been

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Oglethorpe13 said:

At this rate, it's a good(?) Thing they kept their 1st rd pick....😡😡

Yep. Currently in the top 10. I was thinking maybe we could get Jerome Iginla’s son, but they’re going to be picking even higher than he’s projected to go at this point (early teens). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Yeah, Rempe’s the classic schoolyard bully who loves to pick on people smaller than him but won’t fight anyone bold enough to stand up to him.  I’m fine with the Devils keeping MacDermid if he can discourage goons from targeting the Devils skilled players.

We had him tonight and it didn’t do anything to discourage their goon.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

We had him tonight and it didn’t do anything to discourage their goon.  

MacDermid might have gotten a few shots on Rempe had the officials not intervened.  I’m disappointed they weren’t allowed to fight.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

As much as I don't like the piece of sh!t I'm pretty sure he dropped the gloves with Reaves so this isn't entirely accurate.

15 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

The dude only played 3:44 and made multiple costly errors leading to Rangers chances.   He looks unplayable to me.  We need toughness throughout the lineup, not the Ryan Reeves plan.   

The only problem is there's no one on this team outside of Meier and Smith who are somewhat tough, and certainly no one who can fight. If we don't have an enforcer on this team, our star players will start getting crushed by cheapshoting goons like Rempe. What the coaching staff should do is play him less. But having the guy on the team as insurance is a good thing imo. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

As much as I don't like the piece of sh!t I'm pretty sure he dropped the gloves with Reaves so this isn't entirely accurate.

And he did everything he could to keep his distance from Reaves while they fought.  He took some hits, to be sure, but he wasn’t anywhere near as aggressive as he’d been in previous fights.

12 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

MacDermid might have gotten a few shots on Rempe had the officials not intervened.  I’m disappointed they weren’t allowed to fight.

I liked Kurtis's interview in the post game 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

Every other team in the league doesn’t lose a guy to serious injury every time they play these clowns and there really aren’t many enforcers left.  I would argue that’s because our entire lineup is as tissue soft as can be and the Rangers know they can take liberties with little to no response.   It is what it is for this season but keeping MacDermott beyond this season feels like the Leafs thinking they addressed their problems with physicality by just adding Reeves to their 4th line.  

if our core is going to be Hughes x2, Bratt, Hischier, Nemec and Hamilton we can’t have the guys like Haula, Siegenthaler, Marino and Bahl be passive bystanders when games get ugly.  Need more nastiness up and down the lineup.    

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

The only problem is there's no one on this team outside of Meier and Smith who are somewhat tough, and certainly no one who can fight. If we don't have an enforcer on this team, our star players will start getting crushed by cheapshoting goons like Rempe. What the coaching staff should do is play him less. But having the guy on the team as insurance is a good thing imo. 

Exactly.  It’s a roster flaw that a 3 minute a game goon doesn’t fix.   What would happen if we faced Florida or Vegas in a playoff series?   

Let’s face it, the issues currently facing this team aren’t going to be solved by season’s end.

Your offseason Fitz.  

4 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Just imagine how much worse it would have been if we didn't have him.

It looked exactly like every single other game against the NYR this season.   Only difference was the name on the back of the jersey of the guy who got knocked out of the game.  That and we still didn’t take a single shot at one of their guys.   

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

Every other team in the league doesn’t lose a guy to serious injury every time they play these clowns and there really aren’t many enforcers left.  I would argue that’s because our entire lineup is as tissue soft as can be and the Rangers know they can take liberties with little to no response.   It is what it is for this season but keeping MacDermott beyond this season feels like the Leafs thinking they addressed their problems with physicality by just adding Reeves to their 4th line.  

if our core is going to be Hughes x2, Bratt, Hischier, Nemec and Hamilton we can’t have the guys like Haula, Siegenthaler, Marino and Bahl be passive bystanders when games get ugly.  Need more nastiness up and down the lineup.    

Only problem is you can't teach nastiness. All four of those guys you mentioned are Charmin soft and avoid confrontations. It's pathetic that we had to get a guy like MacD to at least show some fire on the ice when he was trying to challenge rempe.. Not one damn player would do that the last time these teams met, even after witnessing two of our players get crunched. 

I'm totally with you in that I want to see nastiness across the board. But to remove the one guy who's capable of blasting people in a fight, I don't want to do that. Rempe would not fight MacD because he probably knows he will get his ass kicked. When the Avs played the Rangers this year trouba was running away from MacD the entire game.

What we need is a coach like Berube who will let this team be physical, and let our enforcers do their jobs at the appropriate time. Hell, the only time I would put MacD on the ice would be to instigate a fight.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

It looked exactly like every single other game against the NYR this season.   Only difference was the name on the back of the jersey of the guy who got knocked out of the game.  That and we still didn’t take a single shot at one of their guys.   

I totally hear you and I'm just as frustrated as you are. The coaching staff sucks. We need a piss and vinegar coach to take charge of this team.