GDT: 03-29-2024 Devils @ Sabres 7:00PM EST MSGSN

Rock

Just now, Nicomo said:

He literally hasn’t though. He was really good in Oct/Nov/Dec, then hit a wall in Jan/Feb, but has gotten a second wind in March. He’s been nothing short of fantastic for the last few weeks. And he’s been paired with a guy who played a grand total of 27 NHL games before joining the Devils. 

He’s 2nd in rookie scoring, behind only a generational prospect in Bedard. If that’s disappointing idk what people expected. 

So he plays well for a few weeks when the games are the most meaningless with the playoffs out of reach and he’s declared ‘fantastic’? Lol ok. Definitely disagree that he was ‘really good’ in Oct/Nov/Dec.

And don’t cite his point total as evidence, he gets major powerplay minutes on an offensively loaded team. (Peter Harold btw would put up a lot of points on this powerplay). No one cares if a defenseman is scoring points if they’re giving it right up defensively.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He’s under contract for next year.  He’ll be back, especially since Fitz really seems to like him.

A long offseason (which this will most definitely be) can heal a lot of wounds.  And like others have pointed out, with a coaching staff that actually knows what the hell it’s doing, and some roster tweaks, this can be a team that players very much want to be a part of.

That's true, time heals all wounds. It's just a bad taste that Allen has to have in his mouth right now, is all I'm saying. Hopefully a lot of mouthwash thus offseason, metaphorically speaking, will fix that as you alluded to.

5 minutes ago, devlman said:

So it’s Marino’s fault Bahl made that stupid reverse pass which led to the goal? Or that he went for a change with the goalie pulled completely vacating the point?

I was listening to the radio broadcast and I heard as loud shriek from Chico and Matt when Bahl went for the line change.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

That's true, time heals all wounds. It's just a bad taste that Allen has to have in his mouth right now, is all I'm saying. Hopefully a lot of mouthwash thus offseason, metaphorically speaking, will fix that as you alluded to.

Oh I agree, I’m sure right now he’s ticked.  I know the first goal he allowed was very iffy, but the guy kept the Devils in the game for much of the night.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

What exactly were you expecting Luke to do this season?  Play like Niedermayer in his prime?  I know that everyone’s frustrated right now, but some of the takes I’m seeing are completely unfair.  Luke and Nemec are 20-year-old kids.  Yes, both are expected to be excellent players, but they won’t get there overnight, especially not while learning the most difficult position in hockey.

I wasn’t expecting him to make the same mistakes repeatedly with the frequency he has. I also wasn’t expecting him to be so turnover prone and getting so much ice time.

Yes, as I said far too much has been put on his shoulders. He’s only 20. But on its surface, for an aspiring playoff team, Luke hasn’t been nearly good enough. Not really his fault but he hasn’t been good enough to play the minutes he has and for this team to make the postseason.

@devlman @Nicomo well we're discussing Luke, I can see both of your points. Personally, I very much agree with devilman in that I could really care less how many points Luke scores, if he can't stop making egregious turnovers and giving the other team scoring chances, it defeats the purpose. 

They truly gifted and great offensive defenseman the league has ever seen are the guys who first and foremost are good at their primary job, which as defenseman is to stop the opponent and minimize turnovers, and then on top of that they are gifted offensively and can skate and score like a forward. 

Luke made a lot of turnovers and bad decisions this year, however, I'm not completely worried about it because as we all know he's incredibly young. It'll take a couple years before we really know if he's a guy who is capable of not only being sound defensively well at the same time providing his team with the added bonus of being able to be a Canon of a shot on the power play and the guy who can knife through defenses, or if he simply just a guy who likes taking risks and gets caught more often than he delivers. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, devlman said:

So he plays well for a few weeks when the games are the most meaningless with the playoffs out of reach and he’s declared ‘fantastic’? Lol ok. Definitely disagree that he was ‘really good’ in Oct/Nov/Dec.

And don’t cite his point total as evidence, he gets major powerplay minutes on an offensively loaded team. (Peter Harold btw would put up a lot of points on this powerplay). No one cares if a defenseman is scoring points if they’re giving it right up defensively.

Then you’re in the minority, as most of us were happy with Luke’s play the first three months of the season.  He’s definitely struggled at times, but—and I reiterate—he’s a rookie.  He’s not supposed to have mastered playing in the most competitive league for his sport and likely won’t for several more seasons.  I expect him and Nemec to improve with experience, better coaching, and improvements to the rest of the roster, but said improvement will happen in stages and won’t be instantaneous.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

I was talking about Luke and Nemec and the lack of support they’ve received, not bAHL.  Jesus Christ, what is the matter with you?

Are you ok? It was all rookie dmen in the topic. Sit this one out if you’re not keeping up.

21 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

If I'm Allen, I want nothing to do with this team next year. Why would you? The dude came in here as fresh blood and gave it absolutely everything he had. Total effort and stellar play.  His new teammates not only lacked execution, but lacked heart and effort at times too. A very bad first impression that the Devils gave him.

Where else is he going to play? He’s under contract next year and he was relegated to third string in Montreal after two bad years. If we resurrect his career he’d be more than fine playing next year.

4 minutes ago, devlman said:

His average game score was very good until about January or so. It’s not really debatable. 

image.png.9a759a13512675b60d390bb1c9b46214.png

“Don’t cite the offensive defenseman’s point totals” is pretty wild. 

And you might not have the strongest argument if you’re using THIS power play of all things to make your point for compiling points. :lol:

6 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

@devlman @Nicomo well we're discussing Luke, I can see both of your points. Personally, I very much agree with devilman in that I could really care less how many points Luke scores, if he can't stop making egregious turnovers and giving the other team scoring chances, it defeats the purpose. 

They truly gifted and great offensive defenseman the league has ever seen are the guys who first and foremost are good at their primary job, which as defenseman is to stop the opponent and minimize turnovers, and then on top of that they are gifted offensively and can skate and score like a forward. 

Luke made a lot of turnovers and bad decisions this year, however, I'm not completely worried about it because as we all know he's incredibly young. It'll take a couple years before we really know if he's a guy who is capable of not only being sound defensively well at the same time providing his team with the added bonus of being able to be a Canon of a shot on the power play and the guy who can knife through defenses, or if he simply just a guy who likes taking risks and gets caught more often than he delivers. 

Agreed. And again I never questioned his promise or ceiling. It’s ok to say a talented young player has looked poor playing the role he’s played.

1 hour ago, Max20Characters said:

Jack and Haula both said they love playing together

Jack also loved Lindy. You can’t let a 22 year old run the team. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, devlman said:

Are you ok? It was all rookie dmen in the topic. Sit this one out if you’re not keeping up.

I think you’re the one who needs to sit things out, as you’ve offered one bad take after another this evening, and now you’re copping an attitude about it because @Nicomo and I have rightly called you out for your remarks.  Next time, take your antipsychotics as directed by your physician.

1 minute ago, devlman said:

Agreed. And again I never questioned his promise or ceiling. It’s ok to say a talented young player has looked poor playing the role he’s played.

But he wasn’t even bad tonight (or anytime recently). He literally had the 2nd highest game score on the team. That’s why the “AHL” comment felt so weird. 

Just now, Nicomo said:

His average game score was very good until about January or so. It’s not really debatable. 

image.png.9a759a13512675b60d390bb1c9b46214.png

“Don’t cite the offensive defenseman’s point totals” is pretty wild. 

And you might not have the strongest argument if you’re using THIS power play of all things to make your point for compiling points. :lol:

Excuse me if I don’t take ‘game score’ as some gospel be all end all. Case in point, he stunk tonight, yet his game score was right up there with Max Willman.

Wrong again. Even a league average powerplay (which the devils are above) will boost a player’s point totals if they’re on PP1. You don’t see many rookies on the first unit of a good NHL powerplay. The game is more than points, especially for a defenseman.

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

But he wasn’t even bad tonight (or anytime recently). He literally had the 2nd highest game score on the team. That’s why the “AHL” comment felt so weird. 

He wasn’t bad tonight??? Well if we cannot even establish common ground on tonight’s performance then we won’t agree on the season.

2 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

I think you’re the one who needs to sit things out, as you’ve offered one bad take after another this evening, and now you’re copping an attitude about it because @Nicomo and I have rightly called you out for your remarks.  Next time, take your antipsychotics as directed by your physician.

Lol I don’t even know what you’ve ’called out’ that I’ve said. You disagreed with my posts? Cool, man. Welcome to the forum. In the mean time I can have a discussion with Nicomo and anyone else who wants to disagree respectfully. You don’t seem emotionally stable to meet that criteria.

Bahl was technically not a rookie this season. 

Lol really? So when someone says our 3 ‘rookie’ defensemen (players sub-82 games experience start of the year) we are gonna get all tripped up by automatically excluding Bahl from the topic on the technicality? Ok…

2 minutes ago, devlman said:

Lol I don’t even know what you’ve ’called out’ that I’ve said. You disagreed with my posts? Cool, man. Welcome to the forum. In the mean time I can have a discussion with Nicomo and anyone else who wants to disagree respectfully. You don’t seem emotionally stable to meet that criteria.

Then I would suggest that you read my posts more carefully from now on, as I’ve clearly taken issue with several things you’ve said.  As for the remainder of your post, it’s meantime and sufficiently emotionally stable.  If you must call my sanity into question, you can at least do so while using proper grammar and syntax.

Just now, devlman said:

Lol really? So when someone says our 3 ‘rookie’ defensemen (players sub-82 games experience start of the year) we are gonna get all tripped up by automatically excluding Bahl from the topic on the technicality? Ok…

You seem to not like facts very much. Bahl went past the number of games you can play under rookie status early last season. 

To be considered a rookie, a player must not have played in more than 25 NHL games in any preceding seasons, nor in six or more NHL games in each of any two preceding seasons. Any player at least 26 years of age (by September 15th of that season) is not considered a rookie.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Then I would suggest that you read my posts more carefully from now on, as I’ve clearly taken issue with several things you’ve said.  As for the remainder of your post, it’s meantime and sufficiently emotionally stable.  If you must call my sanity into question, you can at least do so while using proper grammar and syntax.

‘Sufficiently emotionally stable’? Yeah that’s not grammatically correct. It’s not even close lol. The way I phrased it was perfectly fine. You’re not grammatically stable to fit the criteria either, it seems.

You seem to not like facts very much. Bahl went past the number of games you can play under rookie status early last season. 

To be considered a rookie, a player must not have played in more than 25 NHL games in any preceding seasons, nor in six or more NHL games in each of any two preceding seasons. Any player at least 26 years of age (by September 15th of that season) is not considered a rookie.

No sh!t buddy. I’m not debating his technical status.