2024 Offseason Thread - It’s FINALLY here

Kakko and Allen have come and shown us that our issues are more pressing then goaltending. Not that it wasn't an issue, but lights out goaltending and we still were sucked basically. We need better defense, a better philosophy around it for things to ultimately move forward for us

• Like 4

FWIW I’m told that Ullmark is currently the target, as he is considered to be the most realistically obtainable. 

He would require a much longer and much higher cap hit than Markstrom, who remains the other viable target. 

Cost for Saros is considered to be be too high, both in terms of players and financial commitment/term. 

It’s early and things can change. But that’s where things stand as of now. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, smelly said:

Cost for Saros is considered to be be too high, both in terms of players and financial commitment/term. 

Unacceptable. Fitz needs to find a way to make it happen. That, or get Askarov. Anything but one of the Nashville goalies will not be satisfactory.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smelly said:

FWIW I’m told that Ullmark is currently the target, as he is considered to be the most realistically obtainable. 

He would require a much longer and much higher cap hit than Markstrom, who remains the other viable target. 

It’s early and things can change. But that’s where things stand as of now. 

Ullmark is my number one target so I’ll take that. No need to mortgage the farm if you can get a a quality goalie as a cost effective acquisition.

11 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Unacceptable. Fitz needs to find a way to make it happen. That, or get Askarov. Anything but one of the Nashville goalies will not be satisfactory.

You wouldn’t be on board with Ullmark?  Saros is my first choice but I’d be plenty happy with Ullmark.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You wouldn’t be on board with Ullmark?  Saros is my first choice but I’d be plenty happy with Ullmark.  

It would have to be super cheap. I’m not giving up Mercer or Casey or anything valuable. 

The good thing about Ullmark is that it’s obvious Swayman is Boston’s guy moving forward so that puts more leverage in Fitz’s hands. Therefore, if Saros or Askarov are both truly unattainable for one reason or another, Ullmark should come incredibly cheap. 

39 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The good thing about Ullmark is that it’s obvious Swayman is Boston’s guy moving forward so that puts more leverage in Fitz’s hands. Therefore, if Saros or Askarov are both truly unattainable for one reason or another, Ullmark should come incredibly cheap. 

But the thing is you need 2 quality goalies these days. I seriously doubt they would just give him away. 

34 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

But the thing is you need 2 quality goalies these days. I seriously doubt they would just give him away. 

He’s going into the last year of his contract. So either Boston has to trade him or lose him for nothing next summer. They also have to extend Swayman. So Fitz should refuse to be shaken down. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Ullmark is a beneficiary of being on Boston and I don't see him being nearly as dominant without a strong coach, responsible D play, and system around him.

He was always pretty good in Buffalo despite being on some truly terrible teams. 

.912 sv% in 112 starts. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Keep in mind that it’s not like the Devils are going to be the only team involved.  That will help to drive up the price some.

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Keep in mind that it’s not like the Devils are going to be the only team involved.  That will help to drive up the price some.

That’s true. It still shouldn’t be insane though.

Edited by MadDog2020

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That’s true. It still shouldn’t be insane though.

It would be nice if Boston liked any of the goalies currently in the Devils’ system.

I’m guessing it would probably take the Devils’ 2024 first-rounder, Holtz, and one or two other pieces.  Fitz might be able to get away with not including either Mercer or Casey…it will be very impressive if he was able to pull that off.  Especially since Ullmark’s not far removed from a Vezina-winning season.

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Ullmark is a beneficiary of being on Boston and I don't see him being nearly as dominant without a strong coach, responsible D play, and system around him.

If the Devils play D like they did last season, no goalie is going to be able to help.  But I think Fitz is going to try to address that too (really hope that he brings in the right coach).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

There's nothing new in there, really...and that's a good thing.

But yeah that just can't happen.  

I like how Nichols stated at the end in so many words that Green isn’t the right guy.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I like how Nichols stated at the end in so many words that Green isn’t the right guy.

What would really suck about Green getting the gig is that such a move would conclusively show that Fitz isn't the right guy for HIS job.  And that means eventually having to find a new GM with new ideas who's gonna want to bring in his own guys...with no idea if the new guy would turn out to be any better than the outgoing one.

I really want it to work out with Fitz, but obviously only if he proves himself worthy.  Right now overall it's very much been a mixed bag, and a truly crazy sort of mixed bag at that because he went from a guy who was drawing damned near universal praise last summer to a guy some fans are already willing to sack, less than a year later.  He's at an unexpected crossroads but the right moves can set this damned thing back on course...and I'm sorry, if he hires Green, it's going to be an absolute fvcking disaster, and 100% the wrong way to try to course correct.

Like I've said a bunch, I don't want to react to sh!t that hasn't actually happened, but goddamn Fitz, you went the "dust off a former head coach that no one wanted" route once already in Lindy...why the fvck would you ever consider going that route AGAIN?  If every other NHL team isn't willing to hire these guys to be their head coaches, maybe you shouldn't either?!

Really hope we look back on the Green talk and laugh about it in a month or two. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

Green couldn’t even find a way to squeak out a WC birth despite getting stabilized goaltending, and a star forward playing absolutely out of his mind for the last 6 weeks of the season. Not to mention just how pathetic all the teams they were actually competing against for that WC2 spot were.

There is no world where he should be a serious candidate. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Green couldn’t even find a way to squeak out a WC birth despite getting stabilized goaltending, and a star forward playing absolutely out of his mind for the last 6 weeks of the season. Not to mention just how pathetic all the teams they were actually competing against for that WC2 spot were.

There is no world where he should be a serious candidate. 

I don't think there's a single Devils fan who would be on board with Green getting the job.  Literally NO ONE.

• Like 2

"First and foremost, they have to be passionate. They need to love the game," he said. "They need to come every single day, punch the clock and go to work, and actually enjoy it. Those are the players that are willing to block shots. Players that are comfortable with confrontation, who understand that physicality is part of the game."  No kidding Fitz.

Fitzgerald did not hold back when addressing what he saw from his players when it came to their conditioning and what practice habits needed to improve. 

"When we go to work, we work. I ask you for an hour a day," Fitzgerald said of practices. "You should be able to handle a very crisp skate in March after four (games) in five (days). It's a mindset. That's where I'd like to get to. I want the game to be easy for our players. The only way to do that is to get into the best possible shape we can be."

Is that why you hired a players coach and gave him an extension before firing him.

Sorry if I posted in the wrong thread and if all this was discussed.  I took a couple of days off with anything having to do with Devils hockey.