2024 Offseason Thread - It’s FINALLY here

On 4/27/2024 at 5:49 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Interesting.

Tkachuk has four years left on his current deal, and Bratt has seven.  So Ottawa would get three more years of a cost-controlled Bratt.  Tkachuk is about 14 months younger.

Bratt for Tkachuk alone probably won’t be enough, but if it ever became a case of Tkachuk simply wanting out that badly, Bratt + something else not too too prohibitive might get it done.  Bratt’s obviously become a plenty productive player since turning the corner but Tkachuk checks boxes that Bratt never will AND brings production of his own.  I think I’d have to make that deal.

Absolutely.  I love Jespar Bratt and I've dreamed this one up.  But, Bratt and something other pretty high end is going to have to go the other way.  They just don't make them like Brady anymore.

On 4/27/2024 at 2:31 PM, devlman said:

There is no way Bratt would not be enough in a deal. Tkachuk brings sandpaper but he’s also a dolt of a player. His IQ is low, he takes dumb penalties all the time and his production isn’t anything where you’d have to throw players into a deal in addition to Bratt.

Theres a reason he’s captained disappointing team after disappointing team year after year. His on ice leadership sucks. That said, I’d take him in a heartbeat because of his intangibles and because he’s a good player and what we need. For Bratt? Hell no. For Bratt plus more assets? Stop.

Something he very visibly has that NJD does not seem to have is a desire to win and fiery competitive spirit. I know realistically that they're all professional athletes and want to win, but this team seems to lack heart(some blame on coaching for that obv). Last season they showed a lot of heart-- they went down in games quite a bit and never gave up. They wanted it and had confidence the game was almost never out of reach. This season, nothing. Rolled over worse some nights than the teams of yore that were headlined by Bobby Farnham and Brett Seney. Athletes need to be able to perform under pressure and this season the pressure of expectation was too much for them.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Oglethorpe13 said:

Yep. I'd welcome Brady, but I'm not giving up Bratt for him. No chance. I feel like he's one of the least talked about studs of the league. I could see him taking a lady byng or selke some day.

Pipe dream scenario is NJD wins the draft lottery(league riots, yes) and they trade the pick for Brady straight up and pay someone else off to take Palat(Utah is the new Arizona). Not sure the in-depth implications on the cap when you add Brady even if you get rid of Palat as part of it, though.

I know we are waiting to hear what Casey decides, but does anyone know what Filmon's status is? Nolan Foote and Filmon slot in and Tierney and Nosek slot out? Probably not an ideal scenario but I know Fitz was high on Foote being an NHL regular this season before he got hurt.

Edited by NJDevils1214

I don’t think it’s fair at all to question their competitive spirit. Guys like Jack and Timo were literally playing with severe injuries most of the season. They battled through it because there was a slight chance at the playoffs. They could have easily asked to be shut down. 

58 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I don’t think it’s fair at all to question their competitive spirit. Guys like Jack and Timo were literally playing with severe injuries most of the season. They battled through it because there was a slight chance at the playoffs. They could have easily asked to be shut down. 

That's okay, you don;t have to agree. I am talking about the team overall, I didn't mention any individuals. Some nights they played like they knew they were going to lose. Consistently laying a steaming poo on the ice in the first period isn't acceptable. Now Fitz is telling us things got lax around the team. Guys weren't conditioned, guys weren't disciplined, and practices weren't intense enough. I don't think a competitor like Nathan Mackinnon would have settled for that level of dedication and I wonder where a guy like Palat was with his 6m bag when dudes were skipping the weight room. Fitz has got to get a coach that is going to demand more from them.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Pipe dream scenario is NJD wins the draft lottery(league riots, yes) and they trade the pick for Brady straight up and pay someone else off to take Palat(Utah is the new Arizona). Not sure the in-depth implications on the cap when you add Brady even if you get rid of Palat as part of it, though.

I know we are waiting to hear what Casey decides, but does anyone know what Filmon's status is? Nolan Foote and Filmon slot in and Tierney and Nosek slot out? Probably not an ideal scenario but I know Fitz was high on Foote being an NHL regular this season before he got hurt.

I've had dreams of sending Palat to Arizona/Utah, too, but with Smith's investment and his infinitely higher levels of give-a-sh!t when compared to Muruelo, I don't think they're going to be the dumping ground for bad contracts anymore.

Palat, however, does have "leadership value" to teams needing balance and pushes as they pursue playoffs. I think it was 32 Thoughts where they discussed Palat a few weeks ago being a good fit for playoff bound teams.

9 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I've had dreams of sending Palat to Arizona/Utah, too, but with Smith's investment and his infinitely higher levels of give-a-sh!t when compared to Muruelo, I don't think they're going to be the dumping ground for bad contracts anymore.

Palat, however, does have "leadership value" to teams needing balance and pushes as they pursue playoffs. I think it was 32 Thoughts where they discussed Palat a few weeks ago being a good fit for playoff bound teams.

The problem with Palat is that his money is just too prohibitive right now…Devils probably can’t start thinking about moving him until 2025-26, and there’s a good chance they’ll be stuck retaining money to make it happen.  For now I’m crossing my fingers that he has a better year, but it feels like Tampa simply knew when to say when.

• Like 1

I guess I'm on my own thinking you do the Bratt for Brady swap every day of the week, assuming Ottawa agrees to it.

You deal from a surplus (small, skill player) and acquire a desperate need (competitiveness, toughness, grit) without losing a ton of production in the process.

Not trying to disparage Bratt - he's a hell of a player - but you're getting back a hell of a player too.  One that this lockerroom desperately needs.

• Like 1

32 Thoughts today: EF wonders if a team will move to hire Berube sooner rather than later. He wondered if teams like us or Ottawa will try to make a deal before other teams are k cocked out of the first round and move on from their coaches.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jagknife said:

32 Thoughts today: EF wonders if a team will move to hire Berube sooner rather than later. He wondered if teams like us or Ottawa will try to make a deal before other teams are k cocked out of the first round and move on from their coaches.

He’s right to wonder that. Did he mention anything on Sullivan?

Edited by MadDog2020

7 minutes ago, jagknife said:

He mentioned on the most recent podcast that Ottawa had already interviewed him, though he couldn't confirm if an offer was fully made.

That's my recollection, but yeah if Fitz wants Berube he's gonna have to move quickly.

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

He’s right to wonder that. Did he mention anything on Sullivan?

Nothing in Sullivan at all

6 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

He mentioned on the most recent podcast that Ottawa had already interviewed him, though he couldn't confirm if an offer was fully made.

That's my recollection, but yeah if Fitz wants Berube he's gonna have to move quickly.

Yeah, I think that was Friday’s episode, and he said someone else had two interviews up there but I can’t remember who.

He did say he doesn’t think Berube is a good fit for San Jose today, and went on a list of reasons why not. Said woodcraft might be 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

You aren’t; I’d make the deal too. 

Yeah, def not a case of having any real issues with Bratt, as much as wanting a player who produces AND adds physicality.  I'd love a situation where the Devils keep Bratt AND deal for Tkachuk, but I just don't see how that gets done.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, def not a case of having any real issues with Bratt, as much as wanting a player who produces AND adds physicality.  I'd love a situation where the Devils keep Bratt AND deal for Tkachuk, but I just don't see how that gets done.

Cap-wise I don’t think it’s possible. SOMEONE making some money would have to go. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Cap-wise I don’t think it’s possible. SOMEONE making some money would have to go. 

Looking ahead just a few years - you've got Nemec and Luke needing (hopefully) big deals if they keep developing.  Likewise, Holtz is gonna need a deal (assuming he develops).

So, yeah very little chance we could add Brady without moving out significant salary imo.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Looking ahead just a few years - you've got Nemec and Luke needing (hopefully) big deals if they keep developing.  Likewise, Holtz is gonna need a deal (assuming he develops).

So, yeah very little chance we could add Brady without moving out significant salary imo.  

If Fitz was ever trying to add a guy like Tkachuk AND keep Bratt, probably looking at Mercer and Holtz either going as a part of that deal or other deals.  Devils wouldn't be in a great position to offer either of them big raises (though as of right now, Holtz still has an ELC year left, and Dawson won't be getting big money on what figures to be a bridge deal).  But of course the bigger question is where will the money be to go after a "big fish" goalie?  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

We don’t have an abundance of speedy skilled wingers that can play with Jack. Getting rid of Bratt to fill one need just creates another void. Not to mention I think Bratt can keep improving and hit an even higher level. I like that Jack has someone who can play a hundred miles and hour with him. 

Mercer/Holtz can kick rocks if making room for Tkachuk. Cap space can always work itself out. Vegas and Tampa have had no problem figuring it out.

Edited by devlman
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

That's why if rather pay the premium to move on from Palat rather than have to get rid of Bratt. You likely send Holtz or Mercer to dump Palat without retention.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

That's why if rather pay the premium to move on from Palat rather than have to get rid of Bratt. You likely send Holtz or Mercer to dump Palat without retention.

Are you talking in a separate deal? Because you may get someone to take Palat if you gave them something nice like you mentioned. Obviously that is what we’d all prefer. But you have to give to get, and if Ottawa ever did trade Tkachuk (and I still can’t believe they would), they’re gonna demand a mint in return, and they absolutely should. If you trade for Brady Tkachuk, you are DEFINITELY gonna have to part with something you don’t wanna part with. That’s just the way it is.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Are you talking in a separate deal? Because you may get someone to take Palat if you gave them something nice like you mentioned. Obviously that is what we’d all prefer. But you have to give to get, and if Ottawa ever did trade Tkachuk (and I still can’t believe they would), they’re gonna demand a mint in return, and they absolutely should. If you trade for Brady Tkachuk, you are DEFINITELY gonna have to part with something you don’t wanna part with. That’s just the way it is.

To Utah or some other not yet contending team.