Like It Or Not

PaDevsFan

You know like it or not, call me negative call me whatever you want, but there are 2 big problems tonight.

1. How do you put Marty in net tonight?? When the Hell will another goalie get a shot at a start?? What the Hell do we even keep a backup for?? This is ridiculous. I will bet, not knowing for sure any amount of money that Marty is the ONLY goalie in hockey that has started every game!!!!!! Yeah he is a workhorse, but this is down right crazy. Tonight was the perfect chance for Corey to get a start. I dont care if Arnie or Sykora or whoever is comeing back tonight. MArty sit down and take a REST!!!!!!

2. How can the Devils who got embarrassed on their home ice the other night come out so damn flat. Anaheim has skated rings aroud them the first 10 minutes of this game. starting 30 seconds in with Sykora's chance and continuing right up until this post. The Devs have been nothing short of FLAT!!!!!!!! Horrible what the hell does this team need to wake up????

How do you put Marty in net tonight?? When the Hell will another goalie get a shot at a start?? What the Hell do we even keep a backup for??

Well, first Burns walks up to Marty and says, "Marty you're in net tonight," then Brodeur suits up. Second, the "other" goalie gets his first start likely in the back-to-back Habs games with his start likely in NJ.

Finally, we have a backup goalie incase Brodeur ever goes out with an injury. :o

Lou/Burns(or insert name of whoever is the Devils headcoach at the time) know Brodeur in net is the best shot for this team to win. Like it or not, it's true. Schawby knew what his playing time would be like when he signed, he's played here before. Of course back then he really sucked... :puke:

Marty and Stevens are going for personal records. Stevens to be the 5th player to play in so many games, he's about 8th or 9th now, and Marty is about personal records on his crest for trying to be recognized as the best goalie in the NHL. If not on the ice then in the record books.

Like it or not this is what Marty does. I think he should rest more too; but I think LGD has it right, Burnsy asks Marty if he wants to go and whatever Marty says is the way it usually goes. He is a work horse unlike Kolzig he can handle the work load.

I do not for one second believe Marty and Scotty are out for personal records. Scotty has lost a step; but he is the leader of this team and unless he's injured or playing absolutely horrible he should be on the ice. And Marty in net gives us the best chance at a win plain and simple.

Marty has only played 13 games in the last month. I don't think that that constitutes back breaking labor. The entire team has had a pretty laid back schedule.

I view Schwab as only an insurance policy against Marty going down with an injury that prevents him from playing. If marty is healthy, he'll be in goal. TYhat's the way the management wants it, and apparently its OK with Broduer.

Agreed, point.. he should sit one of the games against the Habs, now that the schedule is finally developing some consistency.

Brodeur should only play very few back to back games, and never all 3 of a 3 games in 4 nights set.

It is all about personal records though GetReal.. Brodeur and Stevens have no desire to win anymore. Most atheletes like taking nights off, I think. So, they're strange in that they want to play all the time.

When the schedule heats up, I'll criticize Burns for playing Brodeur too much.

Schwab shouldn't be playing. Plain and simple - this stretch of the schedule is when Marty should be playing. It's when the grind hits, with back to back games, that Schwab should see some time.

As for Scotty, I have to agree with Chico :evil: (gee, there's a shock). Scotty isn't out for personal records. He's the leader, regardless of the lost step (or sometimes step and a half).

Triumph, Marty won't sit for either of the Montreal games. He never has for Montreal.

Triumph thanks for agreeing with me that it all about personal record in sports. whether it's a win/loss record or most games or whatever record.

My point Triumph, which you wished to challenge, was that in addition to team record Marty wants to set as many personal records as possibke during his playing career. help me Triumph, did I post that was bad? Or are you just challenging me cause it's me or as you usually do challenge everyone?

I aslo didn't state that it was wrong of Stevens to be chasing his only personal record of any meaning the most games played and trying to move up from 8th or 9th place to 5th in for his career.

I made these points because there was a discussion of "resting players." I am sure that you, Triumph will understand that sitting out a game has a negative effect on these records, therefore, sitting out won't be voluntary.

Where did you come up with "Stevens and brodeur don't have any desire to win any more"??? You are reading too much into posts, Triumph, you fangs are showing.

Brodeur and Stevens have no desire to win anymore. Most atheletes like taking nights off, I think.

So, they're strange in that they want to play all the time.

No desire to win anymore? Riiiiiight... <_<

As far as not liking taking a night off, I would think that would be more to their competitive fires. I don't believe for one instance that either are out more for themselves than for the team.

:wacko: How silly! Stevens is not playing for his own personal stats...it's a fun by-product - but not the be all end all of hockey. The only time I saw Stevens play for purely selfish reasons was going for his goal last year...and how cute was that? And it was appropriate...so ha!

Why is it so hard to believe that the guys just LOVE hockey? and with Zuz gone would you all rather have Tommy out there than Stevens?

Marty I really don't know what to say...I was surprised at him last night! EAK! but he still made some great saves...it was a KY in heaven night though!! (not meant as a personal attack mind you - it's just when Marty illustrates KY's every point I think of it as a KY night :D -- Hmmm kind of a nice double entendre too when you think about it!) Anyhow I thought the Oilers game would have been a nice rest chance. But I didn't see the logic to not play him last night -- no reason for fatigue, physical or otherwise.

I'd hate to take either of the Montreal games aways from him -- but it's always something with this guy ain't it? And I don't think it's really selfish -- I think every game just really means that much to him -- really is that much fun for him -- is that so tough to understand?

And it's not that I approve of the situation but let's not make them out to be bad people instead of just the irresponsible hockey addicts that they are! Isn't that a major part of why we love them so much anyhow??

The Devils love hockey -- so I love the Devils!

GR, you have such a hard-on for our two top loyal players, it's almost sad.

It's not about personal records, it's about not wanting to defer the ice time they've EARNED through loyalty to someone else.

But we should respect and cheer Holik when he returns, right?

Bottom line is this, Marty should have sat, I dont care if we have played 13 games or 23 games in a month. He needs to take a breather once in a while. Reason is this, seems like alot of teams will be fighting for the playoffs this yr in the east, games at this time of yr are important, but when it counts are the "dog days" of late January into February and March. MArty will be needed much more then to win games and get us on a "streak" and ready for the post season. Games like last night can be won by Corey or Marty. Now is the time for him to take a break. What, should we wait until he has to play 20 in a row for us to make the post season? And he is worn down by then??? No , this guy plays avg of 72 games a yr. Is it his fault we lost to Carolina?? I wont go that far, but you cant argue with the fact that in some post seasons of past he has looked somewhat tired . I think you play him 60 65 games a yr. That is pretty common among the top goalies. This yr looks like he is going for 75. Man I hope not.

And as far as the second point ... yeah we came back and won the game, but there is still no excuse for this team to be as flat as they were for 2 1/2 periods last night. It was like they were sleep walking and it took a second Anaheim goal to wake us up!!

Have to admit, this is two sub-par games for Brodeur in a row. Perhaps Burns wanted Brodeur to redeem himself after the Edmonton debacle. He looks off, mentally off if you ask me. Thought he should have sat against Edmonton, but what do I know. I don't get the impression it's personal records he's after, but more a matter of feeling he's the backbone of the team - the whole love me Daddy thing if you will. Perhaps he feels the need to be needed, like he and only he can win in goal. But what do I know? I don't know him, GR doesn't know him, none of us know him so it's all conjecture at this point. Regardless, he needs to be told to sit once in a while. Just how do we suppose Schwab will play (because of a Brodeur Injury) if he's completely rusty?

I really don't care if Brodeur and Stevens want to play every night - they should be told to sit every once in a while.

The team looked nervous - tons of wide shots, thought they were never going to hit the net. They just look nervous at home for some reason. Seems we just can't win with this team - they either play like crap on the road and good at home or vice versa. I think the Devils need a sports psychologist myself.

OLP:

"The team looked nervous - tons of wide shots, thought they were never going to hit the net. They just look nervous at home for some reason. Seems we just can't win with this team - they either play like crap on the road and good at home or vice versa. I think the Devils need a sports psychologist myself."

MaddDog's been saying that for years :lol: .

Seems some people don't understand sarcasm. I'd hate for the Devils' ostensible leaders to be guys who want to take a night off. That's not a sign of leadership. I don't think this has anything to do with personal records. These guys genuinely want to win. The best way for their team to win on any given night is for them to be in the lineup, period.

Brodeur should be playing all of these games. Think about it, in the playoffs, how many games are played a month? I'd say 13-14. Brodeur would play all of those too. No one would be saying "Play Schwab!" in the middle of the playoffs.. because the playoffs don't have games on consecutive nights usually.

I think Brodeur has sat against Montreal, and he should sit at home. No need for Burns to pull a Ftorek.