Brendan Morrison

ARENA2005

Just read a post about Brendan and how he is considered in many circles one of the top ten centers in the NHL.

Did Lou make a mistake by moving him (along with Pederson) for Mogs before giving him a chance to really prove himself?

Also read a funny quote from him in Ledger today about Bertuzzi and how tight he is with his money... "His wallet's like an onion, anytime he opens it he starts crying."

Even if Morrison was still on the Devils, there is no guarantee that he would have the same success he's had in Vancouver.

And doesn't he play on a line with Naslund and Bertuzzi? Of course if you play with players like them you'd put up more points than you'd be expected to with players that aren't of that caliber.

The Morrison situation occured because he held out after a rookie year. Who does that?

Maybe if he had played 2-3 years and proven himself a little more, things could have been different for Mo. He missed out on a Cup because of it.

Now, he's one of the better playmaking centers in the league. He centers the most dangerous scoring line in the league and has benefited from playing with two outstanding players.

I think the Canucks could come out of the West. If they do, maybe he gets his Cup.

But as far as saying this was a bad deal? Not when you won a Cup and Mogilny gave you a great 2000-01 season. Too bad he went cold when the Devils needed him most :P .

Well this one is at least different.

It was the right trade at the right time. Once you start yapping round these parts, you're not long for this world.

He's certainly flourished in Vancouver.

I was a fan of his then and I'm a fan of his now. (Except when he plays us... and I do things like get up and yell at him "GET IN THE BOX, BRENDAN!!!!" when he takes a penalty... like he did earlier this month.)

I know he and Elias were pretty tight. It certainly would be interesting to have him now.

But like Derek says... all we got out of that trade was a guy named Mogs... a lot of goals... a second-line scoring threat and a Stanley Cup.

And to restate what we always restate, if he had just showed up at all late in the 2001 run, Mogs would still be here...

Who knows, Grendel? All I know is that in 99-2000, not only was Gomez better, he was 4 years younger. It was an easy call for Lou to make. Gomez would not have been dealt under any circumstances.. when you have two similar players, and the younger one unseats the older, you deal the older.. he's been in the NHL longer, teams know his value, etc..

Brendan's a greta player, there's no denying it, but Gomez was just a better fit for the team. He still is, I think- with some of the big players getting older, it's essential to have young talent.

Brendan was part of the "best line in hockey feature" done on NHL2Night last night.

I think their heads probably won't swell as much our best line in hockey's did when that feature was done on them.

Naslund-Morrison-Bertuzzi. So TOTALLY dominating. They eat you alive.

If I were the Center for Naslund and Bertuzzie, we'd still be really dangerous. Brendan is not the most imprtant part of that line by far.

Kinda like Arnott.... I always said, I could score 20 goals in between those 2 guys.

Brendan was part of the "best line in hockey feature" done on NHL2Night last night.

I think their heads probably won't swell as much our best line in hockey's did when that feature was done on them.

Naslund-Morrison-Bertuzzi. So TOTALLY dominating. They eat you alive.

If I were the Center for Naslund and Bertuzzie, we'd still be really dangerous. Brendan is not the most imprtant part of that line by far.

Kinda like Arnott.... I always said, I could score 20 goals in between those 2 guys.

Well no, he's not the most important part.

But I watch a LOT of that team. And when one of the Sedins are in there, Naslund-Bertuzzi don't fare as well... So I think he is important to the greater good.

But question... in regards to you playing center for OUR line... you're trying to create room, right? Just checking. ;)

:joker:

If you put Gomer between Naslund and Bertuzzi, how do you think HE would fare?? That's why I don't think it makes much sense to have this comparison and be upset that Morrison is gone. He was being a whiny bitch at the time and hadn't proven anything when Lou dealt him.

Good riddance and Canadian makes a good point. He was Bill Jr.

He was actually worse than Billme, I think. At least Guerin had been in the league a few years and scored over 20 goals a few times before he became a total biatch.

Morrison had a decent first season but what he was really concerned about was that the 'Nucks had been stupid and given his former Michigan teammate Bill Muckalt $1 million a year. So he wanted the same or better from the Devs. He was supposed to be a smart guy. Didn't he realize this was Lou he was dealing with?

When I talked to Stan Fischler once about some of the trades we both called Morrison a 'whiner' at exactly the same time.

anyone who says the Morrison/Pederson for Mogilny deal was a good one was right up until 2 summers ago when Lou refused to give Mogilny a new contract. once Mogilnt bolted to the leaves, teh trade became a bad one because we ended up giving away those players for nothing

to say BreMo had no place on the Devils because of the cnters they had is ridiculous. he or one of them could have very easily been moved to wing

he was out of place though when he held out for a contract, his days were numbered at that point.

it still boggles the mind to think that this Devils team as is could still have had AlMo if only Lou didn't have a big ego

No, it's still a good trade because we won the cup.

Morrison for Mogs = good trade, we won the cup

Souray for Malacough = great trade, we won the cup

Rolston for Lemieux = awesome trade, we won the cup

The object in hockey is to win the Stanley cup. When you make three signifgant deals during a season, and win the Stanley cup, you won all three deals.