Will One Player Make A Difference

GetReal

Posters say the Devils are one player away from bring a strong contenter.

Look at the Nets, lousy team, year after year, then they get KIDD, he is 20% of the 5 playing at one time, gets a lot of minutes, has had major impact.

Would one player like him do the same for the Devils? I don't think so, not now.

Why didn't the Devils do the same in the past, get a big name player?

MONEY.

They had one, Alex Mogilny, he had his impact on the team and it had a positive effect on other players, production was up greatly. But they let him go for the sake of MONEY.

They won't get someone this time for same reason, plus that type of person isn't around for the picking.

Devils won't fix their problems with one player, they are too cheap. A trade will impact the team negatively cause they will have to trade a plus player to get a player so that will lessen impact of incoming player.

I say yes, 1 player can complete this team. As I see it, there is very little chemistry after the Triple J line. After that, there just isn't a trio that works. Hasan puts the onus on Elias, Friesen, and Niewy. I agree with that. Failing their long anticipated production, get the one player (doesn't have to be Bertuzzi), and then watch the chemistry come together. 'Cos I think if you can get a second line consistently producing, then the 3rd and 4th lines fall into place.

I think we need 2, unfortunately. We need a power forward (Carter, anyone?) and we need an Alex Mogilny/Alex Kovalev/Miro Satan kind of winger that can make Gomez shine again.

Who can we give up, though?

People I'd be OK with giving up for these causes:

* Tverdovsky

* Nieuwendyk (I don't care what you say - there are West Coast contenders that WILL want this guy)

* Gionta

* Friessen

* Bicek (though he's looked very good lately)

* McKenzie

Can we put together a package here for a Satan? Do we have enough left over for a Carter?

*shrug*

But those two players will make a difference.

And what, exactly, has Turner provided as a 4th liner?  (I'm REALLY not trying to be adversarial)

Here's what Turner gives us...

He does what the big body is supposed to (creates room). He does that by giving and receiving hits. The problem being that with two of them out creating room, when someone Gomer or Nieuwy make that playmaking pass, he's not a finisher.

He has his stick down on the ice and ready to break up passes or guys who think they can get by... seen this a lot in the past couple of games from him. And he makes the smart play off of that.

He's an enforcer.

He plays hard every shift and he's a good team leader.

He does all of these things better than McKenzie does, in my mind.

Money is always an issue, but I wouldn't call the Devils cheap. They've got a payroll over $50 Million!. They're in the top 10 spenders. They have one of (if not the) highest paid goalies in the sport.

If this was basically started to say that Lou made a mistake not resigning Mogilny, I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you. But Lou had the money that went to him earmarked for Elias, Stevens, Brodeur, etc. Of course, had Stevens been paid about $5.5 or $6 Million (which is more in line than the ridiculous $7+ he's getting), maybe there woulda been money there.

i must admit i have a bit of a soft spot for turner :):) something about the black eye kinda draaaaws me

lol Turner isnt as sucky as some people say he is. he tries, but he just has to finish, like 90 % of the team :P

and hes big biiiiig biiiiiiig! lol or i think...

I'll buy a whole lot of that except for the enforcer part. He drops the gloves way too far and in between.

Well that's true. He's not an enforcer in the NHL kinda way of looking at that word. But he's not afraid to drop them, at least. In fact, I'm always kinda surprised by the viciousness in there... cause he's so quiet and maintained at all other times. Guess he's just prepared to do what he has to for the greater team good.

ESB, I'm with you about Turner. He's done a nice job this year. But the ONLY way I should see Gomez on a line with McKenzie and Stevenson is if Gomez is being double-shifted.

This I agree with!!!

Worst line I've ever seen with my own eyes...

And I even kinda doubt Gomez double-shifting with them. It just doesn't work. Let's see who could double-shift there... Brylin?

They both can't be on that line, which I guess is why Turner has to move around... and Jimmy has to sit when we play someone who doesn't need his special touch.

Nieder fan, it's not that Turner sucks, it's just that his abilities warrant him playing with Madden and Langenbrunner (not a bad idea, eh?) and not a good passer like Scott Gomez.

Burns has to be careful, here. He will lose the skilled players on this team quickly if he keeps throwing out these stupid line combos. I wouldn't be surprised if Gomez and Elias aren't frustrated with Burns already.

Oh, yeah, and the worst thing that ever happened to this team:

Mike Danton.

Danton coming back was good, in that we will get something for him.

If he stayed away from hockey this year, he couldn't have been showcased @ all. Smart move to bring danton back & let him play. There is interest for him, & others, but not yet the best deal.

Vince

Yeah, one player could turn the team around, but it's exactly the kind of player we're never going to get: A true 1st line center at least 6'3. The quintessential example would be Thornton:

Elias-Thornton/Sundin/Lecavalier/Lindros-Gionta

Friesen-Gomez-Brylin

Pandolfo-Madden-Langenbrunner

Berglund-Niuwendyk-Stevenson

I think those lines would have a real good chance.