Player Grades

GA Devil

Brian Gionta- A+ His effort has been amazing

Scott Gomez- D+ He has the wheres waldo problem so far. The new NHL was made for players like him and he has sucked so far.

Brylin- B+ Effort and production has been good

Mogilny- C+ lazy play but still getting points

Parise- A- very hard worker, should have a solid season

Kozlov- B despite his lazy play sometimes he has done well offensively

Langenbrunner- C like gomez, wheres waldo? probably in the penalty box

Madden- B- effort is there but production is average

Pandolfo- B- cant expect too much from him, the effort is there though.

Fourth line players- don't play enough to really give a grade

Rafalski- B+ Leader on defense

Malakhov- D awful

McGillis D awful

Martin A- turning into a solid player

Brown- C I don't know why people are impressed with him

White- injured

Brodeur- B- too many sloppy goals

Brodeur: C

Clemmensen: B+

Brown: B+

Brylin: B+

Gionta: A-

Gomez: C-

Kozlov: B

Langenbrunner: D

Madden: C+

Malakhov: D

Marshall: C+

Martin: B-

Matvichuk: C+

McGillis: F

Mogilny: B-

Pandolfo: B

Parise: B

Rafalski: B+

Rasmussen: B-

Rheaume: C

White: B+

Brodeur: C

Clemmensen: B+

Brown: B+

Brylin: B+

Gionta: A-

Gomez: C-

Kozlov: B

Langenbrunner: D

Madden: C+

Malakhov: D

Marshall: C+

Martin: B-

Matvichuk: C+

McGillis: F

Mogilny: B-

Pandolfo: B

Parise: B

Rafalski: B+

Rasmussen: B-

Rheaume: C

White: B+

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with this except I think Martin should get an A- and Parise an A

RD's player grades:

Brodeur: Has been inconsistant this year, great games followed by sub-par performances. I think the time off has effected him as it has other goaltenders in the league. It doesn't help that his defense has let him down thusfar though. He can't do everything back there. Grade: C-

Clemmensen: Looked great in both games he started. Better yet, the goals he's given up, for the most part, haven't been his fault. Many still don't have much, if any faith in Clemmy, but I still think he's quite the viable backup. Grade: B+

---

Brown: One of our strongest defenders this year, he's really stepped it up with the injury to White. If I had it my way, he'd be our permanent #6 while McGillis would ride the pine. Unfortunately Danny McG's contract says otherwise. Grade: A-

Brylin: He's thrived in the new NHL, plain and simple. Who's surprised though? Grade: A-

Gionta: Another strong player for the Devils so far. What I like even better is that he's not afraid to throw the body, even when he's giving up inches and inches on his opponents. Grade: A

Gomez: Well, Gomez has been a disappointment. Maybe he's not comfortable out there, maybe his lockout injruy hit him worse than we thought? I'm not sure what the problem is, but he seems to have it set in his mind that he automatically HAS to pass the puck every chance he gets. Shoot the damn puck, Scott! Grade: D

Kozlov: Another player that is going to do amazing in the new NHL. We can't give up on this guy now, especially with Elias out for God knows how long. Grade: B+

Langenbrunner: Takes penalties, complains about penalties, takes more penalties. Virtually absent otherwise. Not cool. Grade: D+

Madden: I feel for the guy, he's struggled with his shot. I'm not sure if he thinks he can power his shot THROUGH the goalie or what, because more often than not (if it doesn't go wide), he shoots the puck right into the crest. He's been solid on the PK though, which helps tremendously. Grade: C+

Malakhov: What a waste of money. What a waste of a beautiful shot, too. I was nervous when we signed him, but thought he'd prevail (what can I say, I'm an optimist). Too bad he's stunk it up out there. Grade: D

Marshall: Well, it sucks that he plays the PP, because, he sucks on the PP. He's still a sparkplug out there though. Grade: C

Martin: We struggled when he was out of the lineup, but he hasn't exactly been the #1 defender out there. He is playing well, but does show his age every once and a while by making mistakes and turnovers. Grade: B

Matvichuk: He's quietly putting together a nice season. He knows he isn't going to be the #1 guy out there, but he still gets the job done. Grade: B+

McGillis: Trainwreck, trainwreck, trainwreck. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and really wanted to believe he just needed time, but I don't know how much more patient I could be. He hasn't had a single GOOD game -- maybe one DECENT game, but that's it. Too bad he makes too much $$$ for us to actually do anything with him. I feel bad for David Hale when we have this garbage out on the ice. Grade: F

Mogilny: He still makes my jaw drop with some of the plays he makes, his goals are beautiful. It's obvious he's not going to return to vintage Alexander Mogilny, but even an older, slower, Mogs is still better than many of the players out there today. Grade: B+

Pandolfo: As usual, Pando is filling his role perfectly, and it's nice even that he's potted a few goals along the way. Could he possibly be this year's Sergei Brylin with Sarge jumping into the spotlight? Grade: A-

Parise: Looks better than 75% of the rookies out there, but he still is a rookie and does make rookie mistakes. A few costly turnovers have really hurt the team, but overall he's played rather well. What did you expect, Sidney Crosby? Give him time, he'll easily have 30-goal seasons. Grade: B

Rafalski: I've said it before, and I'll keep on saying it -- this guy is great to have on the point on the PP. I don't know how he does it, but he always manages to keep the puck in the zone on the man advantage. Grade: B

Rasmussen: Same as Marshall, you're not going to get much more out of him than 4th line duties. Doesn't mean he can't step up every once and a while. Grade: C

Rheaume: Well, I can't say I can recall too much of his play, but I'm not so sure that's the worst thing in the world. Grade: C

White: He's been our best defenseman, and he's turning into quite the leader. I'm loving what I'm seeing from him. Too bad injury has knocked him out, let's just hope when he comes back he can return to how he'd been playing prior to getting hurt and we'll be just fine. Grade: A

Edited by RD

I'll keep this one short for once -

Brylin - A

Gomez - B-

Gionta - A

Kozlov - B

Parise - B

Mogilny - B-

Pandolfo - B

Madden - B

Langenbrunner - D+

Rheaume - C+

Rasmussen - C

Marshall - C

Rafalski - B

White - B+

Malakhov - C-

McGillis - D+

Martin - C+

Matvichuk - C

Brown - A-

Brodeur - B-

Clemmensen - B+

I didn't look at anyone else's before I did this.

Edited by Triumph

Okay you can say I'm Marty's puck bunny :P but I think a C is unfair. The team has played like crap in front of him. Clemmy has gotten a much better Devil team. So I give Marty a B+ because he looks a bit rusty and needs time to get back into form.

Clemmy has shown he's a very capable back-up and impressed with some timely saves and in the shootout, I give him an A.

Brownie has really come around, he should bump McGillis out of the line-up when Whitey comes back, I give him an A.

Gionta, :hail: Little big man, funny how Gionta has all the letters needed to spell GIANT, he playes big all the time and give 100% A+

Brylin, what's to be said, A.

Gomez is coming around but right now he gets a C-

Langs still not playing like we know he can. Waiting for the real Langs to show up consistently, so he gets a D+ (plus for when he tries)

Madden is still finding his way in this new NHL. His role is not as clear as it was in the past and by god he has to hit the net. I give him a C.

Malakhov not worth the money - D.

Marshall he's a plugger and he keeps on plugging, he just doesn't spark enough, I give him a C-.

Martin the next generation. He gets the job done, B+

Matvichuk the other good M, not too many mistakes, he's adjusted well, I say B.

McGillis, sorry my dear Hawkesbury friend, but your pal just may not adjust to the new NHL, right now he's an F.

Mogilny there aren't many Mogs in the NHL, when he's good he's very very good but when he bad, but for the most part he's good so he gets B+

Pandolfo the reliable, A-

Parise, I got high hope for the kid, he tries every shift, once he finds HIS game, he'll score around 30, give him an A.

Rafalski our best D. Give him an A.

Rheume, I like his work ethic and how he loves his Kool-Aid but he is invisible out there. Good thing he's cheap. C.

Rasmussen he doesn't impress me, I get him confused with Rheume. C.

Whitey, hope he's back soon. A.

Edited by LizDevil30

Eh what the hell:

Gionta, Brylin A Basically put the two mighty mites in the same boat here; they've been awesome offensively and both are always there effort-wise.

Gomez C Started off pretty crappy but between the two mighty mites, looks like he's starting to come around and what's gone unnoticed is his improved faceoff percentage so far.

Langenbrunner C- Again started off pretty crappy but at least he hasn't taken a bunch of penalties recently and his game's picked up the last two-three outings

Parise B- Solid, not spectacular. But for a 'normal' rookie that ain't bad.

Madden B If it was strictly on offense probably a D- :lol: But his PK'ing has been huge early on

Rheaume B- Not as important as Madden, but he's been right there on the PK unit too

Pandolfo B+ Mainly cause he actually has more of a clue offensively than Madden to this point :)

Rasmussen C+ Eh, he's kinda just taking up space so far. But he hasn't really hurt us.

Kozlov B- Looks nice offensively but other than one or two games, not enough has come out of it.

Mogilny C+ Not exactly what we expected from him so far, though he's had a couple of pretty good games, and I'm a little softer on him cause his problems aren't from not trying as much as they are him being a headcase :P

Marshall B- One of the few Devils that hits - and also hasn't taken penalties (granted in his limited icetime).

Rafalski B+ Okay defensively, has made some nice plays offensively

Matvichuk B+ The most physical player on the team thus far and has been fairly solid defensively

Brown B+ I don't know what's been more suprising his improved defensive play or his offensive contributions

Martin B- Hasn't gotten off to the best early start, but he'll come around away from McSucky :P

Malakhov D Not an F cause at least WHEN he shoots he can contribute

McGillis F YUCK :puke:

Brodeur C- Yeah he gets graded on a curve, because he's supposed to be the best goalie in the league and best player on the team and too often hasn't played like it. But it's early, and a guy that's used to a heavy workload might be more adversely affected by not playing much over the last year than most other goalies.

Clemmensen A- Would be an A or A+ if he didn't give up a few goals in garbage time earlier in the year. But when he had to be the man the last couple nights he was.

Edited by Hasan4978

Anyone who thinks Rafaslki is not an "A" isn't watching him and his TOI very closely.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well his TOI's as much indicative of the fact that other than Martin - who missed a couple games himself - we have nobody else to put out there on the power play (Brown's been the third best offensive defenseman and Malakhov though he has a good shot is pretty much a statue) and plus we have one D unit that's basically a black hole right now. Plus I can't really give too many of the D 'A's when they're giving up 35 shots a game :P

Eh what the hell:

Brodeur  C-  Yeah he gets graded on a curve, because he's supposed to be the best goalie in the league and best player on the team and too often hasn't played like it.  But it's early, and a guy that's used to a heavy workload might be more adversely affected by not playing much over the last year than most other goalies.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm glad you're not one of my professors. :lol: I thought a curve brings your grade up? :P Another C for Marty. I guess Marty doesn't realize he's supposed to get a shutout every game. ;)

:evil:

Well maybe a better way to describe it would be holding him to a higher standard :) And I expect more from him than giving up a soft goal or three a game which he pretty much did after the Pittsburgh game in EVERY game except maybe against Tampa, and even then he looked a little shaky.

Believe me I spent years arguing some of the same arguments you've had with the morons over on AOL that blamed him for everything under the sun :P So I'll defend him when he deserves it, which is usually far more often than not :D

Edited by Hasan4978

I guess Marty doesn't realize he's supposed to get a shutout every game.  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't get me wrong, we all (well, most of us) love Marty, but he HASN'T had the best season this year. I truly believe he's struggling after all the downtime, many netminders have this year thusfar; just as other goalies have been injured, he has as well. He's not a unique case -- it's something we've seen throughout the NHL this season.

Some of his struggles have been because of the defense, they've given up a TON of shots a night and there have been quite a few defensive breakdowns this year. He's also had a little bit of trouble playing the puck this year, but again, I think it's because of the time off, not because of the new rules or diminishing skills.

Give him time, he'll be just fine. My only concern is his knee at this point. I'm actually MORE concerned he "just" suffered a sprained knee; he may try to come back too soon just because he's having a few good days and could re-injure the knee and really do some structural damage. He needs to take all the time he needs right now, make sure that knee is rested up and rehabilitated good. THEN he can come back and dominate again. :evil:

Eh Has and RD, I know everybody loves Marty. :evil: He was so phenomenal that first game, but yeah, there have been softies. I just hate softies. :uni: Er um I digress. :lol: Anyway, I think the fact he really didn't play during the lockout has taken a toll on his game and his physical condition. I too am very concerned about his knee. I am sure he is dying to get back on the ice and in the game. I just hope he meant it when he said he wants to be 100% before he returns.

Hasek let in 5 tonight, right after having a shutout. Belfour got pulled. I don't think any of the mainstay goalies have had a great start. Some rookies are shining well because there's really no pressure on them, because no one really expects anything or knows what to expect. When you are the best everyone wants to take your place. But even when Marty's not better, he's always cuter. :D

Marty's puck bunny signing off.

Actually lately I think Gomez has been shooting a lot. I forget what the stat was but his line has produced a lot of shots and most of that has to be attributed to Gomez dishing it off to his wings. Gionta powers the line with his energy, but Gomez is what makes it go round.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agree completely, and Gomez has picked up his game in the past few games.

NY Hockey Report's Derek Felix's Devil Grades:

Sergei Brylin- A

Brian Gionta-A

Sean Brown-A

Brian Rafalski-B+

Scott Clemmensen-B+

Jay Pandolfo-B+

Colin White-B

Alex Mogilny-B

Paul Martin-B

Zach Parise-B

Viktor Kozlov-B-

Richard Matvichuk-B-

John Madden-C+

Scott Gomez-C+

Erik Rasmussen-C+

Grant Marshall-C+

Pascal Rheamue-C+

Jamie Langenbrunner-C

Martin Brodeur-C

Vlad Malakhov-D

Dan McGillis-F

Incomplete-Krys Oliwa, Darren Langdon, Patrik Elias

No need to go through the whole list, I agree with the general grades. Just wanna comment on a few.

I'm sure glad everyone see's McGillis and Malakhov are D or F grades. I once posted on this board the those two are the key reason new jersey is not doing well and have a salary cap problem. I was attacked then, and I hope now all can see that theire combined 5.8 million salary is bulbous, uncalled for, in addition to the fact that these guys are the chief reasons why NJ cant play D this year. Both are F's in my grade book.

Gomez I dont think is as bad as people are saying. He might not be doing great things every game, but the guy has 8 pts, and he's been burning through the neutral zone lately. Also, Gomez is not a 90 point guy or anything. He's a good 70 point guy, and so far he seems on track for that, and this without Elias. So, I dont know why so many complaints. I admit, he hasnt much impressed, but 8 pts without his lover, Elias, not bad. B grade.

I think the Parisi ratings are too high. He looks good to me, but there are so many rookies playing awesome this season. I'd put Parisi at a B-.

Lastly, Sean Brown, definitely an A thus far. One person posted they dont know why people think he's good. 6 pts in 8 games for Browney (thats a ton for a NJ defensive dman), and it is only 1 less than Rafalki's 7, not to mention Brown has a better +- than McUseless, Malasuck, White, and Matvichuk. Brown is a -1, so is Rafalski, and the only + dman is Martin at +1.

So why wouldnt brown get an A? 6 points and a good +- comparitively, and this from the so called "7th Dman." A all the way for Browney. I didnt like him to begin with, but how can anyone still think he's useless when he's outplaying nearly every Devil defender?

I just hope Lou now realizes he doesnt need McUseless and Malasuck. One must go for sure, or I will hate the NJ Defense all season long. I hear Albelin is still skating with the team, seriously (no joke).

I'd much rather see:

Rafalski, White, Martin, Hale, Matvichuk, Brown, Albelin as the seven D dudes. Anybody with me?

I'm sure glad everyone see's McGillis and Malakhov are D or F grades.  I once posted on this board the those two are the key reason new jersey is not doing well and have a salary cap problem.  I was attacked then, and I hope now all can see that theire combined 5.8 million salary is bulbous, uncalled for, in addition to the fact that these guys are the chief reasons why NJ cant play D this year.  Both are F's in my grade book.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:blink: See, this is what I don't get? what is the reason for this? do you think everybody will crawl in and :hail: to your greatness?

NY Hockey Report's Derek Felix's Devil Grades:

Sergei Brylin- A

Brian Gionta-A

Sean Brown-A

Brian Rafalski-B+

Scott Clemmensen-B+

Jay Pandolfo-B+

Colin White-B

Alex Mogilny-B

Paul Martin-B

Zach Parise-B

Viktor Kozlov-B-

Richard Matvichuk-B-

John Madden-C+

Scott Gomez-C+

Erik Rasmussen-C+

Grant Marshall-C+

Pascal Rheamue-C+

Jamie Langenbrunner-C

Martin Brodeur-C

Vlad Malakhov-D

Dan McGillis-F

Incomplete-Krys Oliwa, Darren Langdon, Patrik Elias

Other than giving Rafalski an A-, this is exactly how I see it. No bad for a Ranger's dude.