Rangers-Caps shootout

NJDevs4978

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The shootout now takes away the excitedness that i get for a penalty shot... i used to love seeing a penalty shot and the other day when we got one.. i was still excited we had the opportunity but watching it didnt do anything special for me..sicne i see it every week.

4 on 4 is more exciting in my opinion.

Edited by langsgirl

The shootout now takes away the excitedness that i get for a penalty shot... i used to love seeing a penalty shot and the other day when we got one.. i was still excited we had the opportunity but watching it didnt do anything special for me..sicne i see it every week.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree 100%.

I'm not here to change your opinion, don't get me wrong.  That would be narrow minded of me.  I just wanted to see if there might be a way to lessen the passion of hatrid towards the shootout.

What if you try this: next shootout don't sit there and think how much you hate it.  Sit there with an empty yet open mind to the idea the NHL was going for.  If after that you sill can't stand it, then hate away :evil:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Growing up mom tried for years to get me to eat liver and like peas. Didn't happen and she had a better chance of getting that to happen than for me to like shootouts. :D:P

Edited by LetsGoDevils

I think they should just flip a coin like they do in the NFL.

Man, that was funny.... I guess if you're only going to get one chance at this all year (they'll likely never get to Malik again), you show 'em your trick move. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that was a great shot...davidson's side kick sounded like he was going to have a heat attack.

And I believe the "gimmicky" part of the shootout was the main reason why the GM's and NHL heads liked the idea so much.  Gimmicky things are what fans typically like.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You mean like the glow puck?

The shootout is horrible. It's a skills competition ending a team competition. Why not spin a big wheel at the end of overtime and have it determine what skills competition (fastest skater, shot accuracy) should end the game? Because a big spinning wheel is even more exciting than a shootout! (Just ask Pat Sajak and Bob Barker).

<JESTER>

I do not get the hatred toward shootouts.  What is more exciting then breakaways?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Breakaways are exciting because you don't know when they'll happen. One of the worst things about the shootout is that it takes the "how" out of the end of the game. You know it's going to end on a breakaway; it's just a question of when and by whom.

<JESTER>

The real question is should Malik's goal have counted?

Kelly Hrudey claimed on After Hours that it shouldn't because it failed to satisfy this part of the penalty shot rules:

The puck must be kept in motion towards the opponent's goal line and once it is shot, the play shall be considered complete.

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=194963

Malik draws the puck backward between his legs. Technically it probably shouldn't have counted, but they need to address the wording of the rule and allow for these types of moves IMO.

That's all a matter of wording... I've seen dozens of penalty shots where the player coming in dropped the puck back a few inches to keep the puck from getting to far ahead of him. It's part of stick handling.

As for the shoot-out, don't people get tired of this same debate every 2 or 3 days?!?! If you don't like it, don't watch it. I don't like it, I don't watch it, and I don't feel the need to bitch about it every few days.

That's all a matter of wording... I've seen dozens of penalty shots where the player coming in dropped the puck back a few inches to keep the puck from getting to far ahead of him. It's part of stick handling.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, the spirit of the rule is so plays don't start doing circles with the puck. It would be something to see a late season shootout win overturned on a technicality like this though. I wonder if the league will amend the rule or make a statement as to exactly how it should be interpreted.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree. A penalty shot is still the most exciting play in hockey and it's earned during a game before the artificial aspect of a shootout.

You can't have 4-on-4 forever. I'd have recommended 2:00 of 3-on-3 before the shootout.

As for the shoot-out, don't people get tired of this same debate every 2 or 3 days?!?! If you don't like it, don't watch it. I don't like it, I don't watch it, and I don't feel the need to bitch about it every few days.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agree 100 percent.

I actually like the shootout for reg season..but not to decide playoff games. If it was Devils/Flyers or something it would have been exciting..but the two teams that were playing just do not interset me in the least..booo

Yeah, I REALLY miss regular season ties....that rush that I used to get hearing the buzzer sound and seeing little emotion from the players, and then walking out to the concourse of an arena hearing the chatter of people, not much emotion...trying to remember where they parked....oh that rush was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH TIES!!!!!!!!!!! HIGH FIVE BABY!!!! :doh1:

Think back to all the memorable ties....oh man the chills I get thinking about some classic 2-2 Sabres/Hartford ties....wow I get pumped up.....who will remember that Malik goal, even though it was a long shootout?? Forget that, bring back all the memories of ties past!! :boogie:

(Sarcasm Off)

Edited by LOTCB

Yeah, I REALLY miss regular season ties....that rush that I used to get hearing the buzzer sound and seeing little emotion from the players,  and then walking out to the concourse of an arena hearing the chatter of people, not much emotion...trying to remember where they parked....oh that rush was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!  YEAH TIES!!!!!!!!!!!  HIGH FIVE BABY!!!!  :doh1:

Think back to all the memorable ties....oh man the chills I get thinking about some classic 2-2 Sabres/Hartford ties....wow I get pumped up.....who will remember that Malik goal, even though it was a long shootout??  Forget that, bring back all the memories of ties past!!  :boogie:

(Sarcasm Off)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This argument has not been refuted by anyone on this board. Playing sudden death is completely unfeasible - the players don't want it, the coaches don't want it, and the fans don't want it. I'd rather have ties back than sudden death.

Anyway, I'm sure shootouts will be gone soon. Fans only give a standing O when they're coming and make more noise than they've made all game - NHL execs hate seeing fans excited. All you marketing geniuses on the message boards are sure to come up with better solutions - I suggest most you begin working on the flux capacitor immediately, because your fix seems to involve a time machine.

Yeah, I REALLY miss regular season ties....that rush that I used to get hearing the buzzer sound and seeing little emotion from the players,  and then walking out to the concourse of an arena hearing the chatter of people, not much emotion...trying to remember where they parked....oh that rush was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!  YEAH TIES!!!!!!!!!!!  HIGH FIVE BABY!!!!  :doh1:

Think back to all the memorable ties....oh man the chills I get thinking about some classic 2-2 Sabres/Hartford ties....wow I get pumped up.....who will remember that Malik goal, even though it was a long shootout??  Forget that, bring back all the memories of ties past!!  :boogie:

(Sarcasm Off)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

so, I guess there haven't been any exciting 5-5 ties with end to end action for 65 minutes in the history of the NHL (sarcasm off)

I'd take a 2-2 tie anyday over some phony 3-2 "victory" that degenerated into some worthless pond hockey shootout relay that has nothing to do with the game itself. Do you actually think you saw a team win a game last night?