Malakhov retires

Joe Mac

I suspect that Lou made his decision that McGillis was not a good fit for his team.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It had NOTHING to do with a good fit for this team. It was a payroll / salary cap move. Monies needed to be cleared for Elias, and with 7 'D' it was obvious where some of that would come from. Whether we liked McGillis or not, the waiving had nothing to do with his play. To give you an example, Oliwa is 10x the player that Langdon is, but who is playing for the big boys now?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WAIT!!!!!!!!

malakhov did NOT retire... his agent says he has requested a personal leave of absence... maybe this doesnt mean much but what about his contract and the cap...

here...

Devils GM Lou Lamoriello tried to reload quickly by signing stopgap vets Dan McGillis and Vladimir Malakhov. Neither man (nor fellow free-agent acquisition Richard Matvichuk) has been particularly good in the "new" NHL. All three have taken turns in the club's doghouse.

In fact, the club placed McGillis (and his $2.2 million salary) on waivers late last week. Once he cleared, they were planning to send him down to the minors to create cap space for the soon-to-be returning Patrik Elias, who has missed the first part of the season due to illness. Earlier in the season, they made a similar money-saving move with tough-guy winger Krzysztof Oliwa ($835,000). But an unforeseen circumstance may change McGillis' minor-league fate. On Monday, during a question-and-answer session with reporters, Lamoriello said Malakhov had decided to retire. According to Lamoriello, the lanky Russian defender had made his decision on the flight back to New Jersey after Saturday's 4-1 loss in Carolina. If that's the case, it would be a gift from the salary-cap gods. Malakhov's $3.6 million annual salary -- he signed a two-year contract with the club in August -- would come off the books. That would enable the Devils to keep McGillis on the big-league roster. Lamoriello said he was planning to sign veteran Tommy Albelin to fill the spot. However, Malakhov's agent, Paul Theofanous, claims (through a spokesman) that Malakhov has not retired. Instead, Theofanous says, Malakhov requested a personal leave of absence.

When contacted with the contradictory statement, a Devils spokesman said it's the club's position that Malakhov had indeed retired. Lamoriello could not immediately be reached for further comment. This situation is ... to be continued.

link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=2265453

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

fvck that blowjob hack. He's retired. Whether he likes it or not.

Malakov might be technically on a "leave of absence" which would give him the paycheck he's looking for but not count it towards the cap. Kind of a going away present for playing nice instead of dropping him outright.

I was too busy to read all of this at work! WOW! Just wow...

-Dan

It had NOTHING to do with a good fit for this team.  It was a payroll / salary cap move.  Monies needed to be cleared for Elias, and with 7 'D' it was obvious where some of that would come from.  Whether we liked McGillis or not, the waiving had nothing to do with his play.  To give you an example, Oliwa is 10x the player that Langdon is, but who is playing for the big boys now?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you for stating this.

It had NOTHING to do with a good fit for this team.  It was a payroll / salary cap move.  Monies needed to be cleared for Elias, and with 7 'D' it was obvious where some of that would come from.  Whether we liked McGillis or not, the waiving had nothing to do with his play.  To give you an example, Oliwa is 10x the player that Langdon is, but who is playing for the big boys now?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right, it had nothing to do with his play - most teams have a 2.2 million dollar defenseman sitting out every night.

It had everything to do with his play. If he'd played well, he wouldn't've been benched. You're telling me Dan McGillis can't outplay Sean Brown, a guy who he's beaten out for roster spots in two places?

Right, it had nothing to do with his play - most teams have a 2.2 million dollar defenseman sitting out every night. 

It had everything to do with his play.  If he'd played well, he wouldn't've been benched.  You're telling me Dan McGillis can't outplay Sean Brown, a guy who he's beaten out for roster spots in two places?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh right, keep McGillis as 7th D then, or just send him to Albany. No, we are talking about why he was WAIVED. If your statement makes sense, Malakhov would have been gone in favour of my 8 year old nephew. Martin playing well? Matvichuk consistent? Let's be realistic here. McGillis was signed for a reason, he was waived for a reason. If statements about how our D play are accurate, Hale would be one of our top guys right now.

Again, using my previous statement, McGillis was handled the same way Oliwa was, cut for money reasons. This is why McGillis is back now and not Hale.

If we are talking about waiving players based on their play to date, the precious Parise, who is oh so loved by all those on this board (myself included) would be gone. In fact half of the team would be gone. Fact is, play was not the motivation for McGillis being waived.....though his play didn't garner him any special consideration.

Oh right, keep McGillis as 7th D then, or just send him to Albany. No, we are talking about why he was WAIVED. If your statement makes sense, Malakhov would have been gone in favour of my 8 year old nephew. Martin playing well? Matvichuk consistent? Let's be realistic here. McGillis was signed for a reason, he was waived for a reason. If statements about how our D play are accurate, Hale would be one of our top guys right now.

Again, using my previous statement, McGillis was handled the same way Oliwa was, cut for money reasons. This is why McGillis is back now and not Hale.

If we are talking about waiving players based on their play to date, the precious Parise, who is oh so loved by all those on this board (myself included) would be gone. In fact half of the team would be gone. Fact is, play was not the motivation for McGillis being waived.....though his play didn't garner him any special consideration.

Sorry, I agree with Tri. If McGillis was lighting up the league on the PP and plastering ppl like we all hoped he would, Lou would have waived someone else with a similar salary. As it is, McGillis's play made him an easy choice.

As for Malakhov, I don't think Lou did him any favor by signing him to such a huge salary. For guy who seems to take any kind a criticism to heart, kinda made him an easy target.

Oh right, keep McGillis as 7th D then, or just send him to Albany.  No, we are talking about why he was WAIVED.  If your statement makes sense, Malakhov would have been gone in favour of my 8 year old nephew.  Martin playing well?  Matvichuk consistent?  Let's be realistic here.  McGillis was signed for a reason, he was waived for a reason.  If statements about how our D play are accurate, Hale would be one of our top guys right now.

Again, using my previous statement, McGillis was handled the same way Oliwa was, cut for money reasons.  This is why McGillis is back now and not Hale.

If we are talking about waiving players based on their play to date, the precious Parise, who is oh so loved by all those on this board (myself included) would be gone.  In fact half of the team would be gone.  Fact is, play was not the motivation for McGillis being waived.....though his play didn't garner him any special consideration.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

McGillis and Oliwa were cut for money reasons and because they sucked. With Oliwa it wasn't his fault really, but with McGillis it is - he hasn't shown very much as a Devil. He got beat out by Sean Brown - there's no denying that. There's no denying he got beat out by Vladimir Malakhov either. Perhaps part of the reason he got waived is because there would be interest from other teams, but for the most part it's because he was awful.

Here is an interview (apparently) wth Malakhov:

http://www.sport-express.ru/art.shtml?114458

Vladimir, what happened?

I don't want a public discussion of what happened. Lets talk about the facts. As of yet, there is only one fact: starting Monday, I am a pensioner.

Did something or someone force you to retire?

At the current stage, I dont want to go into specifics. On Saturday, after the game in Carolina, I did indeed talk to the General Manager of the team Lou Lamorello. You know the result.

Is any pressure exerted on you?

I cannot comment yet.

How can one explain the statement of your agent, which refuted that you retired?

It came at the moment when the situation was "shaken down"... (no idea what he means)

Is the financial aspect settled?

I no longer recieve a salary in New Jersey.

Can you return to proffessional hockey?

In the NHL - no.

What about in Russia?

I need to think about it.

If the need arises, SE, as a Russian newspaper, is ready to support you.

Thank you for the attention to my personna, and for the support.

The implication is Lou forced him to retire.....GO LOU!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have the feeling Lou gave him two options:

1) Get waived and play in Albany

2) Retire

That's not "forcing" him to retire, that's a business decision. An unpleasant one for Vlad, but "nothing personal, just business."

I take away anything I said about this clown showing any type of character walking away :P

Either way I wouldn't worry about it, at this point even if his contract was somehow restored which I doubt Lou would banish him to Albany and dare him to either play there or get suspended without pay and I doubt he'd take Lou up on that (playing in Albany) :lol: