Does Rupp Give Us Some

Devil Dog

While not ready to deem Mike Rupp the second coming of anyone, his play does present some interesting possibilities. At 6'5'' and 230 lbs. Rupp has the size that this team needs. If he continues to play well I can see that this could open up some trade potential that otherwise might not have been possible.

I would be comfortable putting Berglund, a prospect and a high pick on the table to Pittsburgh for Kovalev. I like the way Bicek has been playing with Elias and Gomez and wouldn't want to break that up. With Little G coming back in the next two to three weeks I would like to increase our size and having Rupp and Kovalev in the lineup do just that.

Any thoughts?

Just some thoughts..

Pittsburgh isn't going to accept that offer for Kovalev.. but that's been gone over in other threads, so I won't bother to go into it here.

I do not think Gionta will have many more games as a Devil, he doesn't seem like he fits in unless he learns how to play the off-wing. His numbers have not been exceptional and while he makes the occasional beautiful play, too often what he does doesn't result in a goal. The Devils haven't missed a beat offensively with him out of the lineup, and he's not a very good defensive player.

Rupp needs 10-15 more games to prove he's an NHLer. Obviously I like the fact that he's a guy who can sit in front of the net.. the Devils have needed one of these all season. I highly doubt he will keep up anything like this pace, but I haven't seen him.

Brylin may be an odd man out, as much as I hate that. I can't imagine Lou dealing him, his trade value cannot be very high, but his place on this team is ambiguous. If Bicek does not work out on that top line, Brylin could very well take his place, though.

Should be interesting to see how this shakes out. I can't see Lou going into the playoffs with this team as is, there's a mismanagement of assets on this club. The last time the Devils went into the playoffs with a lopsided club was in 99, and Lou was able to get rid of the entire 3rd and 4th lines from that year, save Pandolfo, and make an excellent team out of it.

I think Bergy has a higher trade value than G now so he might be the one going. I think Burns and Co like G better than Bergy. They chose him over Bergy in training camp and whenever both are in the lineup, Burns puts G on the better line.

Bergy, Ahonen, and a 2nd rounder will interest Pitts very much. Bergy is their type of player.

I like Berglund, but with all the talent we allegedly have in the ranks, I could stand to give him up if it meant returning Kovalev. As is, we have these lines:

Elias-Gomez-Bicek

Langenbrunner-Nieuwendyk-Friessen

Brylin-Madden-Stevenson

McKenzie-Rupp-Berglund

Inuries: Gionta, Pandolfo

a$$holes: Danton

When Gionta and Pandolfo return (Pandolfo on Wednesday), things become unbalanced. I would move Pandolfo onto the 3rd line with Madden and Brylin. That way you have the solid defensive-forwarding of Madden and Pandolfo and a scoring threat with Madden and Brylin. Drop Turner to the fourth line and have a grinding/hitting/fighting fourth line with Rupp. To me, this blocks out McKenzie and Gionta, the extra spot going to Berglund on the 4th line.

However, if a deal can be made with Berglund and Gionta and Tverdovsky and Danton in some combination for Kovalev and a reliable 6th man on defense to pair with Daneyko, I'm all over it. Of course, putting Kovalev into the mix also frees up a spot - either Brylin or Bicek, and I'm of course more likely to go with Bicek there.

In summary, it looks like we have quite a few guys that are making us a bit heavy at finesse forward that we can likely use to pry experience away from budget-minded non-playoff contenders. I know Lou will do something - the only question is "what?"

As for Kovalev and his deadly plus-minus, I think this is a product of the "loose-as-a-Sorority-chick-on-Friday" defensive system they play. Kovalev isn't a cherry-picker and I think can fit into our defensive system rather well.

I agree that there's no way this team is going to stay the same as it is now as the season wears on. I think Tverdovsky is definitely trade bait, and Berglund could be too. If they were to throw in a good younger player, some teams, including Pittsburg would go for, I think. As much as I like Gionta (hehe) I don't think there's too much of a market for him right now.

Lou has said all along that this group will score enough goals for the Devils to succeed. They are finally jelling as a team, the scorers are regaining their scoring touch. Let's see if they continue to get stronger before we dismantle the team and tinker with the chemistry that has taken a half season to come together.

Berglund's not going to be kept unless a spot can be found for him. If Lou lets him stay on the fourth line, that is foolishness, and it cost him in 99 when he left Morrison on the fourth line. Unless the Devils have an impending UFA forward who plays Berglund's position, the Devils should instead improve the team by dealing Berglund for someone who *can* play the top two lines.

Pittsburgh did not take "crap" for Jagr, they took three prospects, none of whom had regressed since draft day, and all three were in the top 40. Kris Beech and Michal Sivek have not performed well, but Pittsburgh is a poor prospect developing team and has been for some time.. their greatest sucesses usually come from waiver acquisitions, not prospects.

Also, Jagr's worth is less than Kovalev's, so they're going to end up getting more for Kovalev.

I agree, Rock, but I don't think Bicek on the top line presents enough of a threat in the playoffs to put us up against teams like Philly and Ottawa (my only concerns in the East, to be honest).

Maybe it's not Kovalev, I dunno, but the guys I'm talking about, minus Bicek, are not involved in the team's "new found chemistry." Berglund, as much as I like him, is playing on the 4th line, Gionta's absence CAUSED half the changes that resulted in the new hotness, we've been playing unbelievably without Tverdovsky (not saying it's BECAUSE he's gone... but well, you know) and Danton is, well, Danton.

If good is good, but good can be better and maybe become excellence, why not make good better? :)

I agree, Rock, but I don't think Bicek on the top line presents enough of a threat in the playoffs to put us up against teams like Philly and Ottawa (my only concerns in the East, to be honest).

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. One guy I'd still like to see the Devils pick up, and I might have mentioned this before, is Slava Kozlov. He is a reasonably consistant scoring line forward who I think can be had for very little right now.

Elias-Gomez-Kozlov

Friesen-Nieuwendyk-Langenbrunner

Brylin-Madden-Berglund

Gionta-Rupp-Stevenson

Odd men out: McKenzie, Bicek

The 'very little' he should be dealt for is Brian Gionta, who isn't a left wing. Neither is Kozlov a natural right wing, but Slava is Russian and most of those guys can play both wings.. Jiri Bicek can play the fourth line. I actually think that Rupp Stevenson Bicek would make an interesting combination for a fourth line.. but I also think it's too early to think about Rupp as 4th line center come playoff time.

You left Pandolfo out there, BlackJack. He will most assuredly be back in the lineup.. and Brylin will move over to the right wing, perhaps.

With Bicek, Rupp, and the aquisition of Kozlov (Without me speculating on who would go the other way) there were a lot of forwards and I forgot one :joker: ok, how's this...

Okay, let's pretend we get Kozlov for Gionta

Elias-Gomez-Kozlov

Pandolfo-Madden-Berglund

Bicek-Rupp-Brylin

For games against skill teams, and

Elias-Gomez-Kozlov

Pandolfo-Madden-Berglund

Stevenson-Rupp-Brylin

For games against grit teams

If Kovelav can be had for Bergy, Ahonen & a Pick you HAVE TO DO IT!!!

I love Berglund, but like it or not he's still an unknown....Kovelav is a proven star...and could very well be the last piece to t he puzzle, if One of the Big 3 has to go inorder to get Kovy then I'd probably pass....defense wins cups....

You're right Red, about defense wins Cup, but that assumes that same team can score at least a couple of goals and then hold on.

Not like The Devils: 2001 Cup finals; or 2002 round 1; 1996 no show; 1997, 1998, 1999 round 1 your out. I know one of those years was round 2 your out.

Devils strenght has always been their defense. It's scoring a goal that needs help at times. The talent has always been there. Some players need assistance such as a winger or a center to work with them. Devils haven't had much luck getting or retaining that winger or center.

But then they have won the Cup twice in 8 years, it's the dissapointment of the other years with so much talent that hurts, and the knowledge that maybe, just maybe, one decent player would have fixed the problem.

No doubt, Kovelav seems to be the answer, but it won't happen. Too expensive even as rental. If he was to play with Elias it must happen sooner than later to get the chemistry working by playoff time. Elias needs time for chemistry to click, more so than other players.

No doubt, Kovelav seems to be the answer, but it won't happen. Too expensive even as rental. If he was to play with Elias it must happen sooner than later to get the chemistry working by playoff time. Elias needs time for chemistry to click, more so than other players.

I'm not for certain that this is true. When Nieuwy and Brunner came over, he played pretty well with them immediately. It kept the "he's not going to be able to survive the breakup of the A-Line" thing from becoming a thing until the struggles began. We probably never would have heard a thing about it again, if he hadn't struggled early this year when the line combos were just not working at all.

I don't think everyone should really overlook what Bicek can provide. I don't think we're getting Kovy, so seeing a little of that Sykora spark in Bicek is a pretty good thing as far as I'm concerned. You have two showmen on that line, people are gonna forget that little Jiri (he seems so tiny out there!) are around. But he's dangerous and he's gotten a couple goals and a nice handful of good chances to show that.

I really like the team as formulated now... but I see the tradeable pieces as Gionta, Berglund, of course Danton and Pando to a team looking for PK help (but the latter will NEVER happen). Oh yeah, Ari might be too. Rupp won't go anywhere. It could be Bicek too if it was Kovy. It's kind of tough to guesstimate what Pitt might do since they gave up a lot for less than what I think we have to offer. It's daydreaming too much to think they'll go for it -- esp. when a Colo deal with Skoula and Tanguay prob. sounds much more appealing. I still don't think it'll be Kovy.

The funny thing about the trade possibilities and all the attention being paid to Kovalev(Myself included) is that Lou will most definately do exactly what none of us expect. Like the acquisition of of Malakhov and Almo, most if not all of the experts never saw either trade coming. Lou has a way of moving in a different direction then the standard thinking.

My guess is that something will happen and its not what we expect.

I believe there is a real possibility of acquiring Kovalev. We'd have him for this year and next year.....Kovalev would go to arbitration and the Devils would pay him his 1-year award before Kovalev becomes a UFA. Meanwhile, in order to help fit Kovalev into the budget, Nieuwendyk won't be re-signed and maybe Daneyko retires. I don't see this as a pipe dream at all.

Kovalev could be Alex Mogilny all over again, with an arbitration hearing thrown in.