YOU'RE NEXT....

Matteau#32

At least one Ranger fan can admit that the Rangers were playing the trap. What, Ranger fans can only recognize that particular defensive formation when other teams - or should I say a team that plays on the other side of the Hudson - plays it? Actually, NJ didn't play passively for the first 2 periods. They were hitting and they tried to break the Ranger trap as much as they could without being stupid (nice work by Gomez, in particular). They did sit back in the 3rd but what I think you probably found made the game boring for you as a Ranger fan was that Pandolfo was glued to Jagr and it made it a fairly long evening for him.

I'll agree with the part about the Devils playing more aggressively. They hit our guys at every turn. That frustrated me. Our guys just weren't willing to hit back until it was too late. I disagree about the Pandolfo on Jagr thing though. They could've played with more desire. They just didn't. Jagr is right. They could've taken advantage of that double team. They have in the past. They just weren't willing to get dirty until the final 12. And sometimes, your luck runs out.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

brylin as usual summed up my thoughts pretty well, plus made a gold Simpsons reference.

However, I'm really not scared about the long-term dominance of the Rangers. Right now their top 5 scorers currently on the roster are all 34 and older. Immonen and Dawes look like good prospects, but let's wait until they get to the NHL. They will probably both be succesful - still, the Rangers' defense and offense is made up of a lot of free agents and castoffs. Jessiman is going to be another Mike Rupp - a tease who has a lot of skills but can never put them together. Prucha will be an excellent scorer; I'll have to wait and see if he keeps this up. His shooting percentage is unsustainable, so it remains to be seen whether he will 1: take more shots or 2: score less goals.

Matteau says Montoya will get a lot in trade - ha ha! Yeah right. Just ask Darcy Regier how much he got for having that great trio of goaltenders in 2003. Oh wait, it's 2006 and he STILL hasn't traded one. Goalie prospects go for a 2nd round pick at *most*. With that pick you could've selected Rostislav Olesz who is already in the NHL and played for his national team at the Olympics. Derek was thinking this pick was a mistake back when it happened and he cited Lundqvist as why.

There's no arguing your first point. Jagr is a superstar and has probably 3-4 good years left. But if he is still producing, that's our top line. Guys like Prucha, Immonen and Dawes should be part of the mix. One guy already shows he has the finishing ability and fiestiness of a Fleury without the idiocy.

Jessiman's development depends on how patient they are. They were willing to send him down to Charlotte. It obviously worked. I wouldn't expect him to be a Ranger for a couple of years. He'll need a full season probably at Hartford next year.

Regarding Al, I don't want to trade him now. It's too early for that. He's 20 and Lundqvist just turned 24 and is still in year 1. Even if he is the real deal, they need to see what Montoya can do. Maybe he makes the team next year and gets into some games. That's the only way to increase his value. You saw it with Ahonen. This guy was highly rated. But he never even started. And Albany was so putrid that he lost some confidence. Now they'd be lucky to get a 6th round pick for him.

It's true that I wasn't in favor of picking Al because I had this feeling that Lundqvist would sign and be good. But still, there was the whole Blackburn situation which contributed to their choice. They wanted insurance. If that wasn't the situation, Olesz might have been the pick.

Would've, should've, could've but didn't. They lost the game. Don't be like Matteau, Derek, with the spin, spin, spin.

And as was said, Marty is playing a typical Marty season. I wonder how Weekes feels about going from starting goaltender to capable back-up?

If nothing else, we have a competitive rivalry again.

I'm not spinning anything Liz. Just pointing out that the Devils sat back and it nearly cost them as the two posts would point out.

Sometimes, it just isn't your night.

Agreed about the rivalry. There's a lot more intensity in these posts. What happens if the teams square off?

Derek, re: Devils defensive prospects, they drafted a few d-men this past summer. Mark Fraser, Mark Fayne, Sean Zimmerman (http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=7850). They seem to be stay-at-home d-men with little offensive potential; not that that's a bad thing.

Aside from them, the Devils do still have Eckford (17 points in 35 games as a rookie @ Alaska-Fairbanks) and DeMarchi in there, too.

But right now, their prospect ranks are overwhelmingly filled by forwards.

There's no arguing your first point. Jagr is a superstar and has probably 3-4 good years left. But if he is still producing, that's our top line. Guys like Prucha, Immonen and Dawes should be part of the mix. One guy already shows he has the finishing ability and fiestiness of a Fleury without the idiocy.

Jessiman's development depends on how patient they are. They were willing to send him down to Charlotte. It obviously worked. I wouldn't expect him to be a Ranger for a couple of years. He'll need a full season probably at Hartford next year.

Regarding Al, I don't want to trade him now. It's too early for that. He's 20 and Lundqvist just turned 24 and is still in year 1. Even if he is the real deal, they need to see what Montoya can do. Maybe he makes the team next year and gets into some games. That's the only way to increase his value. You saw it with Ahonen. This guy was highly rated. But he never even started. And Albany was so putrid that he lost some confidence. Now they'd be lucky to get a 6th round pick for him.

It's true that I wasn't in favor of picking Al because I had this feeling that Lundqvist would sign and be good. But still, there was the whole Blackburn situation which contributed to their choice. They wanted insurance. If that wasn't the situation, Olesz might have been the pick.

I'm not spinning anything Liz. Just pointing out that the Devils sat back and it nearly cost them as the two posts would point out.

Sometimes, it just isn't your night.

Agreed about the rivalry. There's a lot more intensity in these posts. What happens if the teams square off?

Jagr has been through a lot and I think 3 or 4 good years left is an overstatement. It always seems like the guy is playing hurt or is sidelined with a nagging injury. I expect next year to be his last like this year, then a decline will begin. I still think he has lost a step from his Pittsburgh days but he is still a heck of a player.

Ahonen wasn't highly rated. He was a reach pick, but whenever Lou and Conte reach, everyone figures it must be for a good reason. There was no reason to get him into any games and while it's possible the Devils stunted his development, that's a product of the market for goaltenders being crappy. The guy is unlikely to be an NHL goaltender. I'm sure he will do well in Europe.

Insurance for Blackburn was a thought but when you have a goaltender dominating in Frolunda it seems foolish to take another one. The organization was completely in disarray when they took Montoya - to me they did it for PR reasons as well as hockey reasons. Big mistake. They will end up paying for it.

I cannot believe that there are 7 pages so far for this thread...32 refers to females as broads...he is 30ish and refers to females as broads :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: a tad too young for such references...from one post about a prediction that did not come to pass and then trying to rail his way out...tsk tsk...as for the game...Madden was just great...again...gotta love the way Marty played...gotta love Gomez and Timex Jr...they flow so well together...Jagr kept out of play...we are hitting all cylinders at a good time in the season schedule...RanJuhs have played better this season and I hope they end up 1st in the division...let them have that cursed slot...oh and for pounding the Flyers...nice game...pounding a team that is riddled with injuries and bragging...cannot wait for spring...this is going to be a great playoff run for all hockey fans :)

Devildude, yes I am close to 300, havent been to the gym in a while, but I am not a kid and had no trouble finding a date for the prom, and if I want to shoot my load I go crawl into bed with my gf now and get taken care of. Nice try though.

She must be a real prize, the Belle of the Ball, I bet.

why are you guys even prolonging this thread ??

(yes I know i am doing the same by even saying this :P)

But geesh... ignore the troll and he wanders away to the cesspools of ESPN boards.... you guys should know better then this !!!!! :rant:

• 1 month later...
Unfortunately, by the time the game is played, the Rangers will have likely clinched the division and all I'll be concerned about is noone on my team getting injured and the players staying mentally focused.

Welcome to HELL, Matteau!

You know, that place where you have no shot!!!

Matteau can't help it. He put the hex on them. I was going to bring this thread back up too. Anyway, we'll see what happens the next two weeks.

Derek, you're a really cool dude and well respected around here. I could never bash you, but this "person", well, he deserves it. I'm just having my fun tonight.

They have been terrible for most of it, but we are talking about THIS YEAR, THIS YEAR is what counts.

Yes, Matteau, this year or should I say THIS YEAR does indeed count.

Devils 101 points :clap:

Rangers 100 points

Oh, by the way, YOU'RE NEXT!!

Checkmate!

Yes, Matteau, this year or should I say THIS YEAR does indeed count.

Devils 101 points :clap:

Rangers 100 points

Oh, by the way, YOU'RE NEXT!!

Checkmate!

We shall see about that. Wouldnt be the first time the devils entered the play-offs hot and fell flat on their face.

I still can't believe they blew it, but oh well, beat the Devils and giving away the division won't mean as much.

Matteau can't help it. He put the hex on them. I was going to bring this thread back up too. Anyway, we'll see what happens the next two weeks.

Right KOVY, it was my fault. I see you still come here and bend over for the devils fans in hope they will accept you as a friendly foe. You're a joke.

Matteau keep tooting your horn.. we all knew the rags would fall on their faces, just expected it back in Jan not in APRIL!!! :lol:

Lundqvist had a nice run... he's done.. rags ar feeling the pressure.. and Jagr alone is not enough to beatthe DEVS!!!

man 1st to 3rd in 1 night.. that SUCKS!!!

I think it's great that the Devs will get to raise yet another banner to their rafters next year ( and maybe more than one ?!).

Perhaps this one can be trimmed in blue to remind them who they beat out for the title.

HA, he called me "Dummy". All because of a typo.

Ouch !