A thought

Derek21

I was thinking about it on the way home from the game. It sucks to be a Ranger fan. The team finally made the playoffs after nine years and when it does, it goes into a slide of epic proportions. It doesn't ruin what the season was. Especially when they were given no shot. But before the Olympic Break, they were one of the hottest teams in the league. A team that looked like it could do some damage in the postseason.

But as usual, the Ranger luck reared its ugly head. Whether it was from the eight players taking part overseas or whatever, they rapidly declined after March. The work habits which defined this team slowly disappeared. Their mantra was outworking opponents. With the skill they had on the top two lines, plus workmanlike efforts from the grind lines and no-name D, it worked well. That's how they got to where they were.

But it just went south. Almost like if you took one small part out, they couldn't or wouldn't play the way they did which brought them success. The trade of Ville Nieminen drastically changed how their third line played. Down the stretch, a line which produced surprising results fell off dramatically. Blair Betts and Jason Ward went from being solid two-way players who could chip in the odd goal to being almost unreliable in their end. This might sound weird but they never replaced Nieminen. The trio was very good at clearing the zone. Afterwards, not at all.

Then the injuries kicked in to Malik and Kasparaitis. Those were their most reliable D all year. Suddenly, Rozsival's game fell off and Tyutin went from a good rookie year to being a liability. By the end of the season, Tom Poti had become their most dependable defenseman. The former whipping boy for everything wrong was/is the only one getting the job done. Jason Strudwick showed his past form. Sandis Ozolinsh' effect seemed to rub off on the rest of them.

But the hip flexor to Lundqvist was basically the end. He was the biggest reason for the team's sudden rise up the standings. They'll never admit it. But he hasn't been the same since he cameback. Game 3 again proved it on goals 2 and 3. He'd have stopped those in his sleep before. Not anymore.

I just look at all this and think that the fans on this board are fortunate to be Devil fans. Because your team has had a ton of success. They routinely make the playoffs. They have won three Cups and made four Finals in the last 11 years.

I have seen people jumping off the ship when things went bad for a while. Maybe those should take a look at what happened to the Rangers. First good season in whatever and it goes right down the tubes.

The day your team misses the playoffs seven years in a row is the day I become president. Try remembering that the next time the Devils have a four-game losing streak sometime next year.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't you go cry on the Rangers forums. Seriously.

I dread the day Brodeur retires/gets old. In fact I was dreading this season, having lost our top two defensive pairings almost in their entirety. But I'm not going to stop being a fan. One day we'll probably run out of "luck." I think it's the day Lou stops leading the organization. Or the day the team gets moved to another state.

Edited by Cowutopia

Derek the team played well, and ran out of gas. As you said inexperience of the players, and mostly coaching, are the probable primary reasons for the long losing streak.

Your team made the playoffs to break a long drought. Objectives for next year are to finish strong & win a round.

Lundquist being out hurt his timing. He's not displaying the form that got the rangers into the playoffs. Also, how can you be missing your best players (or not being close to 100%) Without those players you cant ask youth to fill the void they bring. Also, the devs are playing the best hockey @ the right time.

The Rangers exceeded everyones expectations this year, and its better that they're back in the playoff hunt. Nothing to hang your head about.

Why don't you go cry on the Rangers forums. Seriously.

I dread the day Brodeur retires/gets old. In fact I was dreading this season, having lost our top two defensive pairings almost in their entirety. But I'm not going to stop being a fan. One day we'll probably run out of "luck." I think it's the day Lou stops leading the organization. Or the day the team gets moved to another state.

Shh Lou will run the team forever through a wege board(sp?)

But serious I hear you.

I understand your pain Derek - as a guy who has been a Devils fan since day 1 and put up with the 'Mickey Mouse' years - but if I was a Ranger fan I'd be excited that the team is headed in the right direction and made huge strides this season. There is a lot of young talent and Renney seems to know how to coach it... and while this team tanked at the worst possible time it was still a better season then I expected from them.

Derek, your team is over 80 years old. You gotta expect ups and downs. It's just that you've been a fan for a lot of down years. But it will turn around, actually the turn around has begun. And at least you never had to live with the threat of your team moving. :argh:

LETS GO DEVILS! One more win!

Experiencing 1982-1986 was pretty bad. But always felt there was progress. 92, 97 & of course, 94 was the absolute pits for us.

It's worse being a Devils fan when you lose to the rangers because there is the whole media & too many of their fans living among us, to make us forget. Suck it up. You can't come in here & humble us at this time of year & this time in the series, looking for the last monkey off of the Devils' back & let us fans enjoy. It's a Devils board & you are welcome until you preach to us.

LET'S GO DEVILS, keep your foot on the pedal, no letting up.

Derek, I think your perspective is a little jaded. In 2003, we beat a Tampa team 4 games to 1. That team looked a little like the Rangers do. They played well and lost. Look what happened the next year.

Right now the Rangers are up against the hottest team in the sport. Not only that; this team has championship bloodlines stretching back over a decade. That's a lot to overcome. Dont listen to those *ssholes crying in you ear. Just remember what this season has been like. They're big, fast and can dominate the puck during the best of times. Just give them time to realize that they too, can win. Rome wasn't built in a day. This has NOT been 9 years a comin'. It's just starting now.

It's the system. Players make a big difference, and you need a nucleus to lead players through the system. If the Rangers can develop that nucleus, they have a shot in the new NHL. The challenge is that it's a bit late to develop a nucleus around a 34 year old Jagr.

The "system" does other things for a team. Notice how we have played given the fact that only one d-man the past 2 games (Rafalski) was suited up in our last cup run. The Devils have players that can fill the gap; the Rangers are a bit away from that.

It was only a matter of time the Gags would fold. If your team "leader" is Jagr you are gonna have problems; ask Pens fans (post-Mario) or Cap fans. Yeah the Rags could score this year with the new rules; hell everyone scored. But when times get tough and your backbone is Jagr you are in trouble. The Rags lack character guys like Madden, Gomer, White, Pando, Langer, Rafalski etc. All good/great playoff teams have the guys that do the dirty work, dig in the corners and lift the with heart and grit and not just cherry-picking and an impressive offensive box score. These are the playoffs and the Rangers really haven't had the experience/success the Devils have had. Now Jagr is out b/c of injury but it would be the same if he was healthy. Pando or Madden with neutralize him and then who do the Rags have to lead them? Who has the playoff experience?? Rags have played pretty well the past few games but the Devils have dictated the play and the experience advantage is obvious and huge.

Oh yeah, and we have :hail: Marty.

Let's not let up on these guys.

GO DEVILS!!!!

Again -you Rags fans cant have it both ways... you cant trash talk me to death all year on how youre the beast of the East and how your crushed the Devs in those early season games and come back today to well .. we have bad luck .. and the dev players are divers and were tired from the olympic break and Jagr got hurt while throwing an elbow... it just sounds disingenuous :rolleyes:

The Rangers believe it or not have a bright future. Something they havent had for a long time.

The only thing that would scare me as a Rangers fan is the coach. The only reason he "looked" so good this year was because of Jagr and Henry. He couldnt right the ship after the Olympics. He seems to have a throw your hands up in the air, "oh well" attitude. The Rangers have too many young players to have that kind of coach.

Wah, wah, wah! Whatever. You collapsed. sh!t happens. Suck it up. Get over it. At least it wasn't game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. I can tell you, that sucks so much worse!

Just suck it up and take it. There's always next season. Your team got a lot better this year. Better than anyone expected and still you whine. It's never good enough. There are how many teams right now that would give anything to just have the shot to make it to the post season? So what, you didn't make it past the first round. Well half the teams playing won't.

Quit your whining. Realize that you have a halfway decent team now and just stop making excuses for once.

I can't believe the Rangers' season is ending this way.

I mean, not many people thought they could go very far in the playoffs, but they did so well in the regular season and are coming undone. The question is, can this team be fixed? I was talking to another big hockey fan last night and we were noting just how many of the Rangers' players have not had success elsewhere, or have had moderate success - a lot of these guys played over their heads so far this season.

The key for the Rangers is to stick with the plan they had all along. Let Sykora and Rucchin walk - Sykora has played okay but he is potentially taking a spot from a younger player. Jarko Immonen should be a Ranger next year in the top 6. Either Thomas Pock or Marc Staal should play with the big club - Sandis Ozolinsh should be traded or more likely waived because no one will want him in a trade. The Rangers needed an Ozolinsh like d-man but he has been absolutely horrible. Betts and Ward are okay players but not terrific - the Rangers have to look at upgrading their checking line. Poti should also walk, he just doesn't do enough well. The Rangers also have to worry that perhaps Petr Prucha is not a future 40 goal scorer in this league - it remains to be seen if he can return to early season form as he fell off late.

The real question is, should the Rangers go after a true #1 defender? Redden and Chara will be on the market, among others - should this be their plan? They're really stuck here because they wanted to rebuild and all of the sudden they're a decent squad. Do they have the infrastructure for a Stanley Cup run? I just don't think so - they rely on two players and the rest of the team is average to below average in all other areas. I think if they start signing free agents left and right they might turn into those Ranger teams of old. Still, Sather and Maloney have a lot of thinking to do this off-season.

yeah, it's technically not over yet.

For a rangers fan perspective though, I would think they should be happy to have made such strides this year. They have made the playoffs for the first time in so long, you can't EXPECT a cup as well. All you can do is hope for continued improvements next season. I mean, it's clearly different now that they have a decent coach, and arent buying up all the finished big names.

Also, the NY media makes the fans think that the rangers deserve the cup every year (mostly because there is huge pride in the city of New York), so the fans start to think that as well.

Take it one step at a time and be happy your moving in the right direction is all I can say for rangers fans.

As for the devs, they have already exceeded my expectations this season, and I am proud of them for what they have accomplished in the face of such change and adversity. Rangers fans should be proud of their team as well, no matter how the last couple games ended.

Sure the Rangers had injuries, but the inexperience is what is sucking them down at this point. The D gets lost against the likes of the Devils. I expect much more from this team in the next few years, if Glen Sather keeps his hands off it, and Renney keeps to his game plans.

As for the devs, they have already exceeded my expectations this season, and I am proud of them for what they have accomplished in the face of such change and adversity. Rangers fans should be proud of their team as well, no matter how the last couple games ended.

Me too, way over. But the more you watch these guys, Madden, Langenbrunner, Pando, Brylin, the same kinda no-name guys that won it before, they have so much freaking heart. Marshall, Rasmussen, White...seriously. What a bunch of hard working guys. Sometimes I cry a little...just a little.

When you look at our lineup we've lost so many players. Sykora's gone, Arnott, Stevens, Daneyko, Niedermayer...and yet here we are again. Pretty incredible. The way Martin stepped up, the way we flailed around for defense and finally got a solid guy in Matvichuk. Lukowich and Klee coming in at the end to bridge the gap. What a season!

The only player who's sort of an ass is Marty. But can you NOT love him?

Edited by Cowutopia