Patrick Elias

Reverend_Hellh0und

I can't see Patrick leaving the Devils, he is playing the best hockey I have seen him play and he has the team mates that help him do that.

The Rangers are dreaming, but then again they were dreaming when they thought they would be able to be us :rofl:

Typical Ranger strategy. "Who has been killing us in the games against the Devils? Bobby Holik. Okay lets sign him!!!" Thing is that they could always out-bid us when the salary hit the statosphere. Can't do that to the extent they could in the past.

How are the Rags going to sign Elias? The Rags fans forget that there is a new wrinkle in the new NHL... it's called the salary cap. I don't know what the cap situation is with the Rags, but I'm sure it's at the cieling. :noclue: This also applies to every team in the NHL that has cap issues.

Edited by hattrick

How are the Rags going to sign Elias? The Rags fans forget that there is a new wrinkle in the new NHL... it's called the salary cap. I don't know what the cap situation is with the Rags, but I'm sure it's at the cieling. :noclue: This also applies to every team in the NHL that has cap issues.

Rangers are nowhere near the cap. They have a LOT of support guys who are UFA. Poti($2.4M), Rucchin($2.3M), Rucinsky($3M), Straka($3M) and Sykora($3.1M) are all UFA. Add to that the $4M jump in the salary cap and the Rangers have $14M to play with. More than enough to sign Elias if he wanted to go.

Rangers are nowhere near the cap. They have a LOT of support guys who are UFA. Poti($2.4M), Rucchin($2.3M), Rucinsky($3M), Straka($3M) and Sykora($3.1M) are all UFA. Add to that the $4M jump in the salary cap and the Rangers have $14M to play with. More than enough to sign Elias if he wanted to go.

Well, based on this, we Devil fans and Lou should be concerned, unless something is missing from this.

The Rangers have 2363274 Czech players and they figure Elias wants to be one of them.

No chance.

The Rangers have to decide whether or not they think they are ready for a deep playoff run next year. I think they should let go of a lot of these UFAs and not sign many more of them and wait until 07-08 to make a serious run both at free agents and the Stanley Cup. I doubt they will take that route, however.

The Rangers have ALOT of work to do despite the success of this year. You can not win in the NHL with one elite line and 3 variations of 4th liners.

I don't think they are going to re-sign Sykora or Rucchin in the off season and they will fill these slot with more rookies. I understand the direction, but it will take several years before they can be any type of threat. They will be lucky if they beat our Pittsburgh next season for the #8 spot in the playoffs.

Elias and Langenbrunner as UFA's this coming summer severely troubles me.

Elias is a long-shot to sign with the rags...that's guaranteed. However, I do see a team like Toronto, Colorado, Florida, and Vancouver taking a stab at Patty.

If the Devs can't re-sign Patty, we're in major trouble...who are we going to rely on....Petr Vrana and Niklas Bergfors???

It's cause of the whole Czech thing that some fans think that. I don't think it has any impact. I don't see Elias as a NY type of guy like Jagr. Though I wonder if he'd want to play with him? He already teamed up with Sykora for a Cup and I have to believe he won't be back.

Manta, I know what you're saying about our third and fourth liners. But those are the guys who showed up in this series. The guys like Betts, Ortmeyer, Hollweg, Moore busted their asses. If Betts had some luck, he could have scored 4 or 5 goals. He wound up leading the team with 2 points instead. Hollweg assisted on a Betts goal and showed he's capable of more than just delivering hits. Ortmeyer somehow wound up a +1 despite the team being outscored by a ridiculous margin. And Moore was one of their best skaters and even attempted shots from tough angles which Brodeur had problems with. Our skill guys didn't do that.

I think they really missed Ward in this series. Everyone points to Jagr but Ward was a key player on that third line who could do some things. He also was a great PK forward who got into shooting lanes. They severely missed his presence.

If it's me, I would look to upgrade the D. They don't have an anchor and it showed. Chara or Redden make the most sense. If they can land either and Staal and Pock make the club, that would be a nice improvement.

Up front, I'd keep Straka out of the Czech contingent cause he works well with Jagr. Rucinsky also might return but I'm 50/50 on him. Nylander can go take a walk. I don't care how well he played centering their top line. He was their worst forward in the playoffs. He was soft as molasses. They need to make a change there. At least Rucchin on one foot was grinding it out. I'd keep him over Nylander because he does the little things and brings intangibles.

Maybe move Prucha to center and have him play on a line with Straka and Jagr. Prucha give them another threat for teams to worry about.

Guys like Jarkko Immonen, Nigel Dawes, Brandon Dubinsky and Dwight Helminen must be given serious chances to make the club out of camp. If a couple of those guys make it, that's where the secondary scoring will come from. Maybe dr is right. They might take a step back next year.

Ortmeyer somehow wound up a +1 despite the team being outscored by a ridiculous margin.

Devs scored a lot on the PP (doesnt count againt +/-) and Im not sure if you guys put Ortmeyer on the PP, but the devs scored 3 SHG's.

I get you point, but its not as ridiculous when you discount the above ;)

Good series all things considered with Ward, Rucinsky, Lundquist, Kasparaitis and of coure Jagr

Eh sounds like wishful thinking from the Rangers fans.

First off though I don't think ego plays into it per se the fact is, Elias WILL be 'the man' on the Devils next year in terms of being the C and being the star player of the team. He won't be second banana to Jagr the way he would if he went to the Rangers. At one point in his career ('02 and '03) when he was seemingly having trouble adjusting to being more in the spotlight I might have thought the second banana arrangement would suit him but now I'm positive he's embraced being a leader and being the go-to-guy.

Secondly, LOU has seen his value first-hand and will do whatever it takes to re-sign him. He did it with Nieds after all, not Lou's fault Nieds wanted to play with baby bro. People can cry cap but as we saw this year Lou will do what he feels is neccesary and worry about it only when he's forced to. I'm more worried about Langenbrunner re-signing at this point for that reason though Lou's always been a big fan of his too and I'm sure will try within reason to retain him as well.

The Czech factor is no factor with Elias, while I'm sure it'd be human nature to want a Czech buddy on the team the fact is he doesn't NEED Czechs around him to be happy like other players in this town do :P

And a personal tidbit which I've been kinda reluctant to offer up publicly that leads me to believe Elias is not going anywhere: I went to a game at the Garden earlier this year (Lou's first game as coach, where the Devils came back to win 3-1). Elias hadn't yet come back from the hepatitis, but he was at the game. I only know this for sure because on the subway ride home I happened to be in the same car with him - with my Elias jersey on no less! We wound up talking for like a half hour till he got off at South Orange, he definitely came across as a regular, nice person; not that he didn't before but anyway, that one conversation is the reason he's been my favorite player since; I hadn't had a true 'favorite' Devil since Dano left.

I wasn't gonna pepper him about anything tough that he wouldn't have an answer to anyway - like say Larry leaving - but one thing he himself offered up, he asked me what I thought about the Newark arena, I said I didn't mind it being there so long as it kept the team in state and they needed a new arena, he agreed and said he was really looking forward to the new arena. So IMO if he's that enthused about it that he would ask 'me' about it and say he liked it, that leads me to believe he's not going anywhere. Not that that's the reason he would re-sign per se, as was stated on the broadcast yesterday there is a loyalty factor with 'true' Devils that want to stay, want to win and appreciate the family atmosphere of the organization and I do believe Elias values all that. It does help if he likes the new arena though :P

I'll reiterate that this was months ago only because I don't want to hurt his bargaining position with Lou if anyone's reading :lol: But like I said Lou will give him a fair offer, he does that with players that earn it, for all his rep about being cheap. And Elias has sure earned it.

Edited by Hasan4978

Guest troycrowder25
It's cause of the whole Czech thing that some fans think that. I don't think it has any impact. I don't see Elias as a NY type of guy like Jagr. Though I wonder if he'd want to play with him? He already teamed up with Sykora for a Cup and I have to believe he won't be back.

Manta, I know what you're saying about our third and fourth liners. But those are the guys who showed up in this series. The guys like Betts, Ortmeyer, Hollweg, Moore busted their asses. If Betts had some luck, he could have scored 4 or 5 goals. He wound up leading the team with 2 points instead. Hollweg assisted on a Betts goal and showed he's capable of more than just delivering hits. Ortmeyer somehow wound up a +1 despite the team being outscored by a ridiculous margin. And Moore was one of their best skaters and even attempted shots from tough angles which Brodeur had problems with. Our skill guys didn't do that.

I think they really missed Ward in this series. Everyone points to Jagr but Ward was a key player on that third line who could do some things. He also was a great PK forward who got into shooting lanes. They severely missed his presence.

If it's me, I would look to upgrade the D. They don't have an anchor and it showed. Chara or Redden make the most sense. If they can land either and Staal and Pock make the club, that would be a nice improvement.

Up front, I'd keep Straka out of the Czech contingent cause he works well with Jagr. Rucinsky also might return but I'm 50/50 on him. Nylander can go take a walk. I don't care how well he played centering their top line. He was their worst forward in the playoffs. He was soft as molasses. They need to make a change there. At least Rucchin on one foot was grinding it out. I'd keep him over Nylander because he does the little things and brings intangibles.

Maybe move Prucha to center and have him play on a line with Straka and Jagr. Prucha give them another threat for teams to worry about.

Guys like Jarkko Immonen, Nigel Dawes, Brandon Dubinsky and Dwight Helminen must be given serious chances to make the club out of camp. If a couple of those guys make it, that's where the secondary scoring will come from. Maybe dr is right. They might take a step back next year.

Who gives a sh!t what the Rangers are gonna do? This is a Devils board and the Devils are still in the playoffs. Nobody cares what players the Rangers are gonna try and steal from the other teams. I have an idea why don't the Rangers call up some of their prospects like Jessiman? They can't do that because the Rangers suck at developing players.

Elias takes the subway? :huh: I thought they all had mega-expensive cars. Or limo's and chauffeurs?

Well the Devils were in Long Island the next day and I guess he wasn't traveling with the team while he was still out. Plus he was with a buddy I think.

But it's not unprecedented, the Mets used to have a player I'm sure you're familiar with (John Olerud) that would take the subway to Shea every day, and he was seldom recognized :saddevil::lol:

Edited by Hasan4978

Hasan, That is a great story!!! I wish I would have been so lucky (to meet anyone of some fame anyway) I don't see him going anywhere either just because he does seem like he likes it here so much and I'm sure Lou is smart enough to realize what he means for the team (don't forget he knew what Nieds meant to the team and did offer him over 7 mil...even though I think losing Elias would have more of an impact than Nieds leaving) and would be willing to pay him a fair price...anywho...as I'm sure most know he's my fav player as well...and a similar story as Hasan, it was when I met him that he became my favorite player (at an autograph signing shortly after the 2000 cup win) I was the first in line and when I got up there I told him what a great hockey player he was and wished him good luck with the next game...he stood up, offered his hand and said thanks for coming to the signing...then he joked with my fiance about the spelling of her name...right then he seemed down to earth and just "cooler" than other sports figures...anywhoo...he better stay around :)

Yeah that's really my 'only' meet the player story; though I met Dano a couple of times they were both cameos. At least I did get to tell him (before Game 1 this year) that 'It wouldn't be a Devils playoff game without you in the building' and he got a kick out of that heh.

I lucked into it too with Elias, I was walking around the train forever trying to find a seat which was nowhere to be found (it was also the first day of the transit strike) so I figured if I'm going to stand I'll stand in the car with a few Devils fans, and one of them saw my Elias jersey and pointed out he was a couple rows in front of me; I thought he was pulling my chain at first lol. After Elias got off I thanked that fan for the 'assist' :)

Edited by Hasan4978

Don't forget Rozsival, who they may tell to go scratch as well if he asks for too much money. And Strutwick is gone too.

The thing with the Rangers will be if they want to create a second scoring line. If so, Elias may be an option, though I don't see how Lou let's him walk.

I expect them to resign Straka and maybe Sykora, but Poti is gone as is Rucchin. Rucinsky is 50/50 about returning.

And some of these young guys like Immonen and Dawes will be playing on the fourth line, since I don't think they are entirely happy about the production from the bottom.

Joe, they got the best they could from Rozsival. But he faded badly down the stretch. He'll go to arbitration though and win big. I'd decline the award and make him a free agent.

Regarding Elias, that's a nice story. But you never know. A lot of things can change between now and the summer. I'm sure the Devils will do everything in their power to sign him longterm.