Elias Still Doesn't Have An Agent

SueNJ97

So the report about him signing w/Octagon isn't true? If he actually wanted to get anything done before July 1st, he'd get an agent, since he doesn't want to do it himself. Somehow, I don't see re-upping in his future.

http://www.forecaster.ca/hockeynews/hockey....cgi?dailyslate

The Devils may have signed a new coach this week, former Habs bench boss Claude Julien, but several published reports suggest what GM Lou Lamoriella is really after is a new contract for Patrik Elias. However, the talented sniper is reportedly still shopping for a new agent, which has meant no negotiations between the two parties have yet taken place. Unfortunately for New Jersey, time is running out with Elias set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

He should use Marty as his agent.

I can just hear the conversation between Marty & Patrik, "But Marty, why did you think the point of the negotiations was to save Lou money??? What do you mean he offered MORE and you turned it down?!?!"

Ok. I am going to be really naive (sp?)here and pretend to infuse some hope into myself and any others so gullable.....

Maybe Elias doesn't have an agent because he decided he didn't need one meaning...HE WANTS TO STAY WITH THE DEVILS!!!!!! :clap::clap:

Ok. That's the best I could do. :D

Ok. I am going to be really naive (sp?)here and pretend to infuse some hope into myself and any others so gullable.....

Maybe Elias doesn't have an agent because he decided he didn't need one meaning...HE WANTS TO STAY WITH THE DEVILS!!!!!! :clap::clap:

Ok. That's the best I could do. :D

If he wanted to stay he'd do what Selanne did with Anaheim and get it wrapped up as soon as possible, which means getting an agent so that Lou has someone to negotiate with since he doesn't want to do it himself the way Selanne did. That isn't happening. He's taking his time and that's bad - he doesn't care whether it gets done pre-July 1st because he wants to hit the market. At least that's my read. But be hopeful for both of us because I can't be anymore.

Elias said before that he tried negitiating but he wasn't good at it / did not like it / wasn't cut out for it and would hire an agent.

I'd say no agent yet is a bad sign... unless he changed his mind and will sign shortly with the Devils.

Maybe he's enjoying the World Cup.

Derek, that was, in fact, one of his points. He was going to get an agent so he could go off and enjoy his vacation, the World Cup, etc., and let the agent handle everything. The fact that he hasn't bothered to even get the agent yet would seem to be a clear sign that he doesn't even intend to have anyone for Lou to negotiate with before July 1st. He's gone.

Derek, that was, in fact, one of his points. He was going to get an agent so he could go off and enjoy his vacation, the World Cup, etc., and let the agent handle everything. The fact that he hasn't bothered to even get the agent yet would seem to be a clear sign that he doesn't even intend to have anyone for Lou to negotiate with before July 1st. He's gone.

I think I knew that. But my post was more meant to be funny and lighten the mood around here. Who knows what will happen?

I think I went through a few stages from this whole Elias situation...first it was hope, then despair, somewhat frustration, and finally a semi-depressive mode thinking about how our team could suck if Elias isn't re-signed. But I've finally come to the conclusion and one word that sums up everything...HARDBALL.

If an outsider was to look at the situation it would seem as though Elias has no intent of reupping with the Devs and is doing so with much malcontent. But, and I know i still have a lot of hope, I don't think that can possibly be it. I just don't see how someone such as Elias who was treated as well as he was during his rehab from his illness and everything like that and who consistently said time and time again that he wants to be a Devil for life, he loves the organization and all that....only to make like vapor the second the season is over...It just seems wayyyyy too out of character. Like I said I could be wrong but I honestly just think he's playing hardball....we all know what a stubborn, hardnosed businessman Lou is who constantly underpays homebred talent (which he did to Elias for a number of years) and who is shrewd as can be when it comes to salary amount and length. I just think that Elias knows the teams needs him and is rightfully trying to get as much as he can from the organization. I'm not saying that its good for us or for him and it very well might come back to bite us and him in the @$$ but I think in the end he will realize what is right for him and if he really cares for the team what is right for the Devils and will end up captain and end his career in a Devs uni....that's just me but frankly I'm tired of the speculation, rumors, and headache that this issue has become :) There's no way that any one of us can control the situation and although it would be the biggest blow the team has had in its tenure, eventually we will move forward with or without Elias. That doesn't retract from his dire importance to the team but as I said there's nothing we can do so until we hear word that he has or won't sign with us then I'm done with the rumors about it :) ......just my two cents :)

Sorry to ask what seems to be the obvious, but how can he play hardball when he doesn't even have an agent to do it. Doesn't make sense. This points more towards not giving NJ a chance to make an offer before July 1st at all.

I think it's tough for anyone to really get a read on the situation. Only Patrik knows what he wants. I still see him as a guy who would re-up with the Devils first over signing elsewhere.

But anything can happen. I guess it will depend on the offers.

I think Elias is waiting until after July first to see what some offers he will get from other teams would be. Then, depending on those, I think he will negotiate with the Devils and see if they can come up with an offer that is close to or better than the offers he received from the other teams. If a few offers are close though, I think he would take the Devils offer because of the way he has been treated here. Plus, I have two Elias jerseys and in my opinion, a pretty clever username for this site that I do not want to become old. :D In conclusion, please resign Elias. :pray:

Sorry to ask what seems to be the obvious, but how can he play hardball when he doesn't even have an agent to do it. Doesn't make sense. This points more towards not giving NJ a chance to make an offer before July 1st at all.

Simply by acting like he's doing nothing or by actually doing nothing is a way to play hardball...if he's acting like he doesn't care or is waiting until July 1st then it puts more pressure on Lou to get him to budge to get something done before he hits the market....but like Derek said, I see him re-signing with the Devils before going anywhere...but obviously he wants to get what he's worth....and simply put if he said he's waiting to get an agent and Lou calls him up and says he'll give him 6.5 mil for 5 yrs and Elias likes it he'll obviously say screw the agent and take the deal before he would say wait, let me get a agent first....at least most people would in my opinion....

I'm just hoping that for my birthday I can hear that Elias will be a Devil next season....(my birthday is July 2nd) :)

No one should be surprised at this.

He clearly stated that he was going to test the Free-agent market and frankly, he would be a fool not too. He wants to sign with NJ but he wants to make sure that he will get what he thinks is his value.

Until Tampa overpaid for Richards I thought signing Patty would be a piece of cake. I am not sure how many teams will actually be able to give him the max (he is certainly worth alot more than Richards), but this really throws us for a curve. Time will tell. If Patty re-signs I will be ecstatic.

In today's Ledger there's a short blurb that states that he has indeed found an agent, but is keeping it private until negotiations begin.

In today's Ledger there's a short blurb that states that he has indeed found an agent, but is keeping it private until negotiations begin.

Can't find it in the on-line version, must be in the print-only one. Which happens. That's a relief, since it gives Lou someone to actually negiotiate with, although it doesn't mean negotiations will be easy. It just means there can BE negotiations. Which is better than I thought it was until this morning.

i hope these negotiations go smoothly, after last season with neids, i'm worried about poor lou's heart. elias would be a fool to not browse the market, but he should also know what he's worth (i'm sure he does). if you look back on this season, it's obvious how much he's contributed. i say, go ahead patty ask for what you want, see who will give it to you then say hey lou beat that and i'm yours!...but not really. maybe patty was just bad with facts and figures and no one wants too look like a fool when they're talking about their own contract. i really hope he did get and agent and they're talking things through right now...my season tickets are rideing on it! :pray: <---how come this little guy only has 2 peices of hair?

i hope these negotiations go smoothly, after last season with neids, i'm worried about poor lou's heart. elias would be a fool to not browse the market, but he should also know what he's worth (i'm sure he does). if you look back on this season, it's obvious how much he's contributed. i say, go ahead patty ask for what you want, see who will give it to you then say hey lou beat that and i'm yours!...but not really. maybe patty was just bad with facts and figures and no one wants too look like a fool when they're talking about their own contract. i really hope he did get and agent and they're talking things through right now...my season tickets are rideing on it! :pray: <---how come this little guy only has 2 peices of hair?

as long as elias does all that quickly thats fine. but if this drags out, lou can not let a repeat of last year happen again. he can not handcuff himself on one player. i know lou has already said that he won't do that though.

as long as elias does all that quickly thats fine. but if this drags out, lou can not let a repeat of last year happen again. he can not handcuff himself on one player. i know lou has already said that he won't do that though.

yea hopefully he's leanred his lesson lol