Why Do You Love Hockey?

CaptainScotty

I am watching the Islander game (since I get only Islander and ranger games), and I was wondering why I like seeing them play so much, and why I like hockey and cant really stand to follow any of the other sports.

After some thought, and remembering a hockey commercial, I think I can sum it up by saying grit makes me love and pine for the sport.

There is nothing like gritty hockey, more than great goaltending, good defense, or a run and gun offense, I'd rather see a hard hitting gutty game than anything else.

That being said, I think Lou shares this same love for hockey that I have. Which is why the entire team is chock full of gritty players, like Langenbrunner, Madden, Friesen to some extent, Elias, Stevens, Daneyko, White, etc, etc. Personally, I'd rather have a hard hitting gritty player than someone that can dipsy doodle around the ice (Bure vs. Guerin argument).

Though I have to say, I think the Islander team is a bit more gritty than our Devils.... those guys dont give you an inch without putting the hurt on you.

As a former Tournment league goalie, I would have to say Great Goaltending is why I love hockey.

I mean honestly some of BEST Devs games are unfortunately in losing or tying games but with unbelieveable goaltending. I will give you 3 examples.

1st one - Game 5 vs. Dallas in 00. THE greatest game I've been to. Sure the Devs lost but my god Eddie vs. Marty was one of the epic battles the NHL will EVER see. I'm sure all of you will agree.

2nd one - '94 (I forget what Game and even what round) but it was a 1-0 4OT loss to the Sabres. Marty has said this was the best game he EVER played and it was a losing effort.

3rd one - Last year, first meeting between the Rangers and Devs. Devs started off the season I believe 0-3-0-0 and the Devs lost this game in OT because of a Fleury goal. But in this game Marty was unbelieveable. Remember that cross ice 2 pad stack he made on York (I think it was York) and then Marty was flat on his back and rolled over and stoned him AGAIN with his stick when everyone, including myself, thought that was an easy goal. What a game.

The big reason why I love great goaltending more than anything is that position is occupied by only 1 guy for their respective team. It's either he's the hero or the bust. Ton of pressure on them (trust me, I know) and there's no better feeling than when you're a goalie and you are in the groove and just making all the saves. Every team needs to a great goalie to win.

Well I think it is more interesting why most of you who live in the States love Hockey so much since most people don't care about it in the US. I was brought up with a family that loved Hockey and a country that loved hockey. Hockey is what ever kid in my school loved and still do. Only a few people like other sports more. I love all sports but I for me I grew up in a hockey atmosphere.

i like hockey because it's a contradiction in almost every way.

sometimes the skating is beautiful, sometimes it's ugly.

sometimes it's all finesse, sometimes it's hitting as hard as possible.

sometimes it's the prettiest goal, sometimes the luckiest.

sometimes there's no penalties, sometimes it's a heart pounding pp-to-pk-to-pp etc. game.

it's a game of balance; you can't be a one-way hockey player, only playing offense and hitting the bench for defense, and still help your team. jagr learned that this year and, guess what? caps do better. if bure could learn it, the rangers would be that much better immediately.

the teams that are the best play both sides of the puck the best. in football, you can have an incredible defense and win just off that. not hockey. in baseball, you can be a not-so-great fielder but a great hitter. not in hockey - you're needed all over the ice, not one specific position.

and that's the beauty. besides the goalie, every skater on the ice has to do everything at certain points. that's why i love it. balance and versatility.

as for the isles, i do love seeing them play, but they lack a certain amount of discipline that could get them so much farther. fire laviolette, hire a new, disciplinary coach. constantine might even work miracles for them.

My answer would be all of the above posts rolled into one. There is no other sport like it! Grit, endurance, toughness, grace, speed, skill, heart, hockey requires it all like nothing else.

DR33 - I'm a native Texan, so I'm REALLY in the minority in this part of the country - even in Dallas, compared to other sports, hockey is way down the list in # of fans. But hockey fans are probably more passionate about our sport than the other fans. I just decided to start watching hockey and learned about it when the Stars moved here in '93, and it didn't take long for it to become #1 for me (even more than baseball, and I LOVE baseball - grew up in a baseball family - my younger brother played in the minors, and my younger son is a college pitcher & hopes to be drafted). But no other sport brings out the passion that hockey brings out.

My husband saw his first game live the other night (he's not really a sports fan) but he was very impressed. He'd go back gladly!

I gotta say goaltending is big one, but there is alot more. The chemistry a team has I absolutly love, easy example the A line. That line and the rest of the team was very tight knit group. Another thing that makes hockey stand out more is passion. Especially in the playoffs, players play hurt and sacrifice themselves to win at all costs. Example: Many people don't rememeber this but after the 00-01 scf Brodeur admitted he had a mess of injuries, but he still played.

DR33 - I'm a native Texan, so I'm REALLY in the minority in this part of the country - even in Dallas, compared to other sports, hockey is way down the list in # of fans.

I know what u mean.... If I hear any Cowboys news I want to puke! 24/7 cowboys this cowboys that!

Anyway.... I love how the pace of the game is so fast. Baseball drives me crazy with its constant interuptions and football too. I also love the players and how they will do anything to win, play through any injury, and how many of them are not on the news all the time for having beating up some women or being apart of a club shoting, etc. I love the fiesty players that are always in your face bugging the heck out of the other players. I am not the biggest fan of the big time goal scorers but those that go out there all the time and play at 100+%. I think that's why I have always been a big fan of Langenbrunner.

I was thinking about this during a commercial too today. Not the same one, I don't think.

It's the rush. There's an absolute rush I get from hockey that is not found in any other sport.

I spent 30 years being raised on baseball. But Steinbrenner's killed the Yankees for me by not respecting what he builds and always trying to buy more.

I was into NBA for a while. I can't figure that out now, cause I almost detest it.

But hockey... hockey is magic.

And Devils hockey is even better. There's just no feeling like it when our boys do well. None. Ever.

I don't know why I watch anymore. My team sucks garbage every year and infuriates me so much now that I sometimes tune them out. Tonight was one of those times where I just couldn't watch anymore.

They take most of the fun out of it.

I got to be honest. Lately, I've been watching more Devil games and most have been exciting. They haven't been boring to watch lately.

I think it's more fun when your team wins. I watch other games because I have an appreciation for the sport. I like to see good hockey played.

But lately, something just has been taken out from me because of how bad my team is :( .

If I were to give reasons why it's the best sport, the ones everyone named are excellent. I am not sure if anyone mentioned this but I think hockey's the best spectator sport.

Another year down the drain :saddevil::evilcry:

Absolutely, Hasan. And I think that's because of the sacrificing that these players are willing to do to win the Stanley Cup. I think about the '99 Stars, and how beat up they were. Hull was skating on a blown knee and a torn groin. Modano had a broken hand. Nieuwy had busted his butt off just to be able to play that year and wasn't gonna let anything get in his way. Players going down to block shots that they know are gonna leave huge bruises, or worse. Taking IVs during intermission because they're so dehydrated.

It's the ultimate in sacrificing to achieve the team goal.

NJDev25, one of the best examples I can think of when you talk about sacrifice was Sydor trying to block a shot while crawling on a bad leg early in Game 6. You could do far worse than naming that as an image of the sacrifice hockey players put themselves through.

Gary Thorne had that classic comment as Sydor was being helped into the tunnel, about that image being shown for as long as there is hockey. . . wish I could remember his exact words. It was great.

Lowe was a true warrior, he saved your asses in 94. One play that sticks out in my mind was when the Canucks were furiously trying to tie game 7, I think it was Ronning who had a wide open net, the puck was going dead center but ticked off Lowe's skate.

What I love about hockey is the playoffs, playoff OT. How you can live and die with every shot, save, penalty......the emotional rollercoaster.

I don't know, just thinking about why hockey's the best can lead you to weird conclusions..I agree with Has, the playoffs are a huge reason.. if I still really liked baseball, I'd say baseball playoffs are good; every pitch counts.

Hockey changes in an instant. Unlike football or baseball, where teams essentially have assigned times when they can score (yes, I know, football not always, but 99% of plays), hockey moves.

Everyone on the ice counts. It's not like football, where there's clearly a hierarchy of players. Any guy can get the glory, whether it's Wayne Gretzky, Uwe Krupp, or Dave Hannan (someone get my obscure reference...).

And of course the playoffs.. where if you take your eyes off the game, you're not a fan.. playoff hockey changes in an instant, every second counts, and playoff overtime is the best of any sport..

I guess I really can't even come close to describing why.