Can Your Favourite Player Make You Switch Teams?

devilsrule33

I'm a loyal fan. I will stay with my team, in this case the Devils. But if a fan favorite or a player who has done alot left this team, I always cheer for them in hope for them to have a successful career. Examples Jason Arnott,(if I was at his homecoming game, I would have cheered my ass off for him) Mogilny (yeah he's a leaf but you gotta like him, I don't like the team but I want to see him do good), and many others. But on the flip side you do bad for my team your in my sports hell. Examples John Rocker (nuff said), Bobby Holik (need I explain?), Bill Guerin, and some others. So I guess its how they are in fan relations, what they did on the ice/field, and how they went out. But if Marty left I would still cheer for him, but I would look to put Lou's head over my fireplace. :burn::burn::burn:

Every time Terreri was traded, I followed that team a little closer, but I always stayed true to the Devils.

As for Petr Sykora? Can't say I follow the Ducks at all...then again, I didn't like Sykora nearly as much as I LOVE Terreri! :)

So no, if my favorite player is traded, I would not switch teams - I would always stay true to the Devils, but I'd probably follow the other team a little closer.

Lou could trade the entire Devils team tomorrow for a group of AHL players, and I would still root for whomever is wearing the Devs jersey (though I wouldn't be happy about it).

Like Red said, you root for the uniform, or as in my case, I root for the New Jersey aspect.

No. I'd definitely still follow the Devils. Say if Nieds got traded to another team, I'd probably watch a game of theirs every now (if the Devils aren't on) to see how hes playing, but I'd never switch to that team. I could never love another team as much as I love the Devils and I don't want to.

It's been said enough here, but if you change team loyalty because "player X" was your favorite and he got traded you were never a fan of the team in the first place and just a pretender.. Just my opinon

I root only for the Devils. I wish certain players well. (Sykora, Mckay etc...)but if every Devil was suddenly shipped out to play for the Blueshirts and we suddenly inherited the Rangers rosters...then as much as it pains me to say it now ..id be screaming "GO Lindros", "Slam him Holik" " Hit the twine Pavel" at my TV screen tomorrow night. I bleed red and black...that is my loyalty to NJ and its team, not the players.

Ok...time for me to add my 2 cents...

As ya'll know, I'm a huge fan of J&J...But first and foremost, I am a Dallas Stars' fan...

That being said, if anyone is still reading my reply...I am STILL a huge fan of J&J and because they are here with the Devils, strange as it may seem, the Devils are now my 2nd favorite team.....I have ALWAYS respected the Devils...just never thought of them as a "favorite" team until J&J arrived, and I started coming here to the boards, and met all ya'll nice people and *really* started watching the Devils' games ..

J&J will always be very special players and a huge part of the Stars' legacy team in my heart and mind and nothing can or will ever change that for me.

I was JUST talking about this today with someone who used to be a regular here.

It really depends on what your bent is.

If your favorite player IS what does it for you -- then yes, you'll move on.

But if you get juiced by the team and how they're built and what they achieve, then you won't.

I really thought I'd take the loss of Sykora (top five with me when he went) harder than I did.

I would be a Devils fan no matter what. It's the way the organization goes about doing what it does, that I appreciate.

This season I've even gotten away from rooting for the formers. I don't wish them well, but I don't get worked up for them all, like I do the Devils. And under NO circumstances are they allowed to score on our team!!!

I guess that's the litmus test, if you like someone enough that you wouldn't mind them scoring on the Devs, then the player is more important to you than the whole.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just how someone as a fan is put together.

If you are a Devils (or any team in fact) fan then the trading of one player doesn't ever change that. In fact he IS your favorite because he's on your favorite team.

Many years ago I used to be a Dallas Cowboys fan. Tom Landry, Roger Stauback, Bob Lilly, Ed To-tall Jones, Randy White, etc.

Then this assh-le owner took over the team, uncerimoniously fired Landry, and got rid of ever other player and since I don't live in Texas, there was nothing left to root for.

Actually, I must confess, I almost became a Ranger$ fan when a$$Holik went there. BAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA :puke: