If you were coach/gm for Wed's game

msweet

Think of this like an open ended poll question.... everyone should list what they would do... try not to comment on others as that has been done in other threads...

Here's my go:

First, yell at the troops... kick a garbage can.... ask them if they really care.... ask Patrick if he really wants to continue the over fancy play... ask him if he still wants to be captain.

Next.... roll 4 lines, and try not to worry so much about the matchups... of course put Madden out there against Vinnie where possible, but sometimes we need to catch them off gaurd and have Parise's line out there when Vinnie is... make him play some "D".

Sit Dowd.. he's useless ...(see goal #2 last night)... have Brylin take his spot

Elias-Gomez-Langs

Parise-Zajac-Rass

Pando-Madden-Gionta

Rupp-Brylin-Janssen/Clarkson

4th line should get 5 TOI.

Let Vinnie & Co. worry about Gionta.

Let Rass have some minutes.... he can protect Parise and make some room and go to the net.

i sit rasmussen and skate janssen - 4th line isn't going to a get a goal in this series, honestly

i don't yell at the troops (since i'm lou l. - who doesn't do that)

i don't roll 4 lines - no need to - i roll 4 lines as long as the score is tied

i go with

elias-gomez-brylin

parise-zajac-langenbrunner

pandolfo-madden-gionta

rupp-dowd-janssen

switching gionta back if we fall behind or get ahead in the 3rd period

white-rafalski

oduya-martin

greene-lukowich

assuming white is healthy

Edited by Triumph

ask Patrick if he really wants to continue the over fancy play... ask him if he still wants to be captain.

+1. This has been an issue all year. He hasn't been worth half what he's been paid.

Marty's got to play better. Enough of these lame goals shot from the goal line.

Shoot the puck, shoot the puck, shoot the puck.

Oh, and some intensity might be nice.

- Jeff

Think of this like an open ended poll question.... everyone should list what they would do... try not to comment on others as that has been done in other threads...

Here's my go:

First, yell at the troops... kick a garbage can.... ask them if they really care.... ask Patrick if he really wants to continue the over fancy play... ask him if he still wants to be captain.

Next.... roll 4 lines, and try not to worry so much about the matchups... of course put Madden out there against Vinnie where possible, but sometimes we need to catch them off gaurd and have Parise's line out there when Vinnie is... make him play some "D".

Sit Dowd.. he's useless ...(see goal #2 last night)... have Brylin take his spot

Elias-Gomez-Langs

Parise-Zajac-Rass

Pando-Madden-Gionta

Rupp-Brylin-Janssen/Clarkson

4th line should get 5 TOI.

Let Vinnie & Co. worry about Gionta.

Let Rass have some minutes.... he can protect Parise and make some room and go to the net.

In that layout, I'd swap Rasmussen and Rupp -- the latter has better hands.

I dont know if yelling at the troops (ala Larry down 3 - 1 against the Cryers) will have the desired effect being the apparent lack of true leadership on this team. So I call a few individuals on the carpet and put them on the spot. 1 being Elias. Tell him get his rear in gear dont be pretty dont be cute JUST CREATE!! ANd be the Captain !! Second I take Gomez and tell him point blank if there is no effort there is NO ICE TIME!! Burnsie did it a few yrs ago, why not?? He needs to show something since his season was average to get a really good shot at a lucrative offer!!

Then I mix up the lines even after talking to those 2. I put Brylin at center with Elias and Rupp (maybe Clarkson) Some physical presence to go to the net on that line things may get created that way! Gomez now will center Gio and Either Clarkson or Rupp (whichever isnt playing on the other line) Same thing ONe will go to the NET AND CREATE SCREENS!! I keep Parise Langs and Zajac together, but I take Travis aside and try to get him more comfortable and motivated. Last Janssen with Madden and Pando!!

Then I do not just send Maddens line out against the top line of the bolts! As was stated before I make them play a bit of defense from time to time by mixing it up. then having Cam there and hopefully banging them a bit they have to at some point start to wear down. Tort has used them soooo much and they are human.

Lastly I take Marty and just lay it on the line to him "Marty we need you right here right now to step up and lead this team" Tell him how confident the team is in him and we know what he is capable of now go out and show it. I wouldnt pull any punches at this point We need a monster effort from the entire team to come back home even up!!

Yeah how come Lou didnt park Rupp out in front on the PP.

tampa bay's aggressive penalty kill means once the puck gets to rupp, these guys are swarming him. hard to get him out there if that's the case, though i would consider putting him out there on an offensive-zone faceoff

tampa bay's aggressive penalty kill means once the puck gets to rupp, these guys are swarming him. hard to get him out there if that's the case, though i would consider putting him out there on an offensive-zone faceoff

Tampa was like 28th in the league on the PK. For some reason were not adjusting well, to the aggressive approach. Raffy and Oduya have to get that shot off towards the net. I was at the game the other night, It looked like they were passing way to much. Ugh drives me crazy

Elias Gomez Gionta

Langs Parise Rass/Zajac

Pandolfo Madden Brylin

Rupp Dowd Zajac/Rass

Put Rass on the second line early and let him set the tone physically. I know Zajac's a big kid but Rass is a more intimidating presence. Shake it up after the first period depending on how it looks.

Don't overthink the matchups. Yes, Madden/Pando on Lecavilier but let's worry about putting our chances in the net. They've already proven that they're going to put a minimum of two goals in and probably at least three, I think the Devs focus needs to be on creating offense and putting the puck in the damn net.

I'm a big proponant of dressing Cam for this game but I don't even really know where to put him, hense why he's there. I think it's more important to get the physicallity on the second line than the fourth, so I guess he's the odd man out.

As for the yelling and screaming...I don't see Lou doing it. But I do see Lou putting them through an extremely rigorous practice or two between games. I don't think this team needs the humilating call-outs and kicking garbage cans and throwing chairs, but it does need a good kick in the ass that a couple of tough workouts should hopefully provide. Focusing on the basics, I would hope.

Lou will need to send a message. Perhaps the traditional "Come to Jesus" isn't his style but these guys have to understand that while Lou is asking nothing new of them So if I'm Lou I have to find a way to let it slip to this crew - fact is if they don't deliver they are gone.

They are GONE.

It's that simple. These guys have killed their last coach. I wouldn't get fancy - no big alterations in lines or changes in tack. Maybe during the game if things aren't going well I'd change things up a bit - but I think it's up to these guys to motivate themselves. No one is clicking on their own or serving as any motivating force making things happen -- they are an interdependant bunch of weenies. If they dont make any attempt to get anythign going - if they take my (Lou's) supportive words at face value they will not stay here. I have no use for these blah heart guys. Who gave these jerk off the idea they had to play like boy scouts anyhow? Who said that's what character is when it comes to hockey -- to playoffs?? Do they think it's time to share the limelight or something? Make it count fellas... "to making count"

See my thinking is there's no savior here. What you see is what they've got. Either they get it together or they can't. and if they can't now then there is no reason to expect they ever will no matter WHAT inner turmoil they act like they're putting themselves through.

Edited by Pepperkorn

Me? I'd show up to the morning skate in my pajamas and do nothing. My only comment would be "if you guys don't give a rats ass, neither do I". Then I would proceed to call Papa Gomez and remind him that his client will not receive his big payday they care so much about if he doesn't get his lazy ass in gear. Perhaps Papa can get him going, it's worth a shot.

I think I would go back to coaching them like peewees - since that's what they're acting like. Miss a shot? 50 pushups. Make a blind pass? Another 50 pushups. Pass in someone's skates? Yet another 50. Maybe then they'll remember why they play this game - I think they all forgot.

Clarkson in - Dowd out. I know I didn't want another rookie out there. But at least he plays like he cares. Brylin knocked down to the 4th line. Matvichuk out - Greene and Oduya deserve to stay.

Oh, and for good luck I changed my cursed avatar.

Edited by olp

i sit rasmussen and skate janssen - 4th line isn't going to a get a goal in this series, honestly

i don't yell at the troops (since i'm lou l. - who doesn't do that)

i don't roll 4 lines - no need to - i roll 4 lines as long as the score is tied

i go with

elias-gomez-brylin

parise-zajac-langenbrunner

pandolfo-madden-gionta

rupp-dowd-janssen

switching gionta back if we fall behind or get ahead in the 3rd period

white-rafalski

oduya-martin

greene-lukowich

assuming white is healthy

I think we should try Clarkson on the first line with Gomez and Elias. Maybe with a guy less skilled than Gionta but a little tougher and a bigger force in front of the net, Gomez and Elias will just get the puck to the net much more often. Also, from what I saw of Clarkson he really likes to get the puck to the net and hopefully that will rub off on the other two.

With Clarkson on the first line, Gionta should be moved to the checking line to give it some speed. Let St. Louis and Lecavalier worry about a guy as fast as Gionta always being after them.