Perspective

Z-Man

Even though everyone is down right now, let's remember this:

Our Stanley Cup drought is now 4 years (3 seasons).

Imagine these droughts:

Chicago - 46 years

Toronto - 40 years

Philly - 32 years

Islanders - 27 years

Boston - 25 years

Edmonton - 19 years

Calgary - 18 years

Pittsburgh - 15 years

Montreal - 14 years

Rangers - 13 years

Dallas - 8 years

Colorado - 6 years

Detroit - 5 years

And how about not winning the Cup at all?

St. Louis - none in 40 years

LA Kings - none in 40 years

Buffalo - none in 37 years

Vancouver - none in 37 years

Phoenix - none in 35 years

Washington - none in 33 years

San Jose - none in 16 years

Ottawa - none in 15 years

Anaheim - none in 14 years

Florida - none in 14 years

Nashville - none in 9 years

Atlanta - none in 8 years

Columbus - none in 7 years

Minnesota - none in 7 years

And to add to all this, 24 of the above teams have not won a Cup since the Devils have won it 3 times.

Let's not take the excellence of this organization for granted. You can't win it all every year, but you can bet that most teams would have been thrilled to make the "elite 8" two years in a row.

Hats off to the Devils. It's great to know that with Lou in charge, we may not win the Cup every year, but we'll always be in the running. That's all you can ask.

:koolaid:

Even though everyone is down right now, let's remember this:

Our Stanley Cup drought is now 4 years (3 seasons).

Imagine these droughts:

Chicago - 46 years

Toronto - 40 years

Philly - 32 years

Islanders - 27 years

Boston - 25 years

Edmonton - 19 years

Calgary - 18 years

Pittsburgh - 15 years

Montreal - 14 years

Rangers - 13 years

Dallas - 8 years

Colorado - 6 years

Detroit - 5 years

And how about not winning the Cup at all?

St. Louis - none in 40 years

LA Kings - none in 40 years

Buffalo - none in 37 years

Vancouver - none in 37 years

Phoenix - none in 35 years

Washington - none in 33 years

San Jose - none in 16 years

Ottawa - none in 15 years

Anaheim - none in 14 years

Florida - none in 14 years

Nashville - none in 9 years

Atlanta - none in 8 years

Columbus - none in 7 years

Minnesota - none in 7 years

And to add to all this, 24 of the above teams have not won a Cup since the Devils have won it 3 times.

Let's not take the excellence of this organization for granted. You can't win it all every year, but you can bet that most teams would have been thrilled to make the "elite 8" two years in a row.

Hats off to the Devils. It's great to know that with Lou in charge, we may not win the Cup every year, but we'll always be in the running. That's all you can ask.

:koolaid:

This is a great organization with a great GM. We had a drought from 1995 through 2000 but Lou finds a way to create winning teams. This is the best organization in the past 15 years. We have great young players and a bright future!

The question is...thinking of an "omen," where in goodness sake is one to have a parking lot party if the Devils win in Newark? I'm guessing we won't win one in Newark, so that won't be a problem...

I'm gonna miss the CAA!!!

As tough as it is to take the loss, we should feel proud about what the Devils have achieved in the last few years. I'm not making an excuse for the Ottawa series, but its not worth hanging your head forever. I mean we could just as easily be in the running next year, provided we make a few changes and implement a true system-oriented coach. When it comes down to it, we lost to a better, hungrier team and well, Marty just wasn't vintage Marty. Whaddya gonna do...move on and plan for the next war. I'm looking forward to the summer and what new faces come about. Although I must say Scotty Gomez did redeem himself to a certain extent in my mind...for better or worse.

Parise, Zajac, Greene, Clarkson, Oduya, maybe Bergfors, that's 'not much of a future'? If anything the young guns were one of the main bright spots from this year.

My own personal perspective: The Devils have 7 division titles in the last ten years, my other two teams (Mets, Jets) have 6 total in over 70 seasons COMBINED.

I always tell my brother that this is a special time and we need to appreciate it because in 20 years, we'll look back and remember this time as "the golden years." Brodeur is SUCH a special player that I think, subconcsiously, we know he's our real chance to win championships in the near future, so we get bummed whenever that doesn't happen because it likely won't happen for a long time after he leaves.

The year will come when Marty is gone and maybe Lou, too, and we miss the playoffs. That will be the first time we really look back and realize how lucky we were for the 1994-2012 Brodeur era.

Marty's got one more in him. I believe that in my heart. That will help make these times even more "special" a generation down the road.