Bruckheimer In Discussions to Bring Team to Vegas

Devilsdude530

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/webl...las_vegas_baby/

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly confirmed that the league has been in discussions with powerful film and television producer Jerry Bruckheimer about owning a franchise in Las Vegas, amid growing speculation that the NHL is on the verge of proposing expansion to Las Vegas and K.C. A group led by Bruckheimer, an avid hockey fan, is the front-runner for the Las Vegas expansion and has been in talks with NHL officials for months, sources said....

I know we don't need more expansion, but Vegas and KCity make a lot of sense from a purely market type standpoint.

*sigh*

On the one hand, I just don't think expansion is a wise decision right now. There are a number of struggling franchises as it is, and new teams were added recently enough.

The NHL needs to focus on strengthening the existing franchises for now, not pushing into new markets.

On the other, if there are people willing to own franchises in those locations and invest money into the league... it's harder to argue.

*sigh*

On the one hand, I just don't think expansion is a wise decision right now. There are a number of struggling franchises as it is, and new teams were added recently enough.

The NHL needs to focus on strengthening the existing franchises for now, not pushing into new markets.

On the other, if there are people willing to own franchises in those locations and invest money into the league... it's harder to argue.

NO MORE EXPANSION !!! PLEASE!!!!!!

But yeah...take a dead team like Nashville... or even Washington... move them to Vegas... could you see Ovechkin doing VEGAS BABY commercials??? That would be awesome... and maybe by getting some gambling action on the NHL you might increase interest... works in the NFL :P

who is really going to relocate? nashville if they do will go to ontario. basille isn't interested in moving them anywhere else...that's why he bought them.

atlanta? maybe but i doubt it.

nobody else is even rumored to be moving.

expansion is nothing more than a money grab by the owners. it would be one thing if this diluted talent but there is plenty of talent worldwide to support two more NHL teams.

Vegas is a legitimate market in its own right without taking the tourists into the equation. Whichever sport decides to go there first will reap big rewards. I am not so sure about KC. The Scouts were a disaster and I don't really think Scouts 2.0 will do any better.

I also agree that those markets would be best served by relocation instead of expansion. There are too many teams as it is. If you presume that Nashville is moving to Hamilton and thus out of the running, move Florida to Vegas and leave KC alone. I wouldn't move the Craps. There is too much history in Washington and if they put a competitive team on the ice they would draw better.

ETA: I am not so sure that there is enough talent to support two more teams. European talent has fallen off in recent years from where it once was and many of those players are choosing to stay in their home countries. Then you have the salary cap implications. Having two more teams will just drive up the prices for players.

Edited by PeteyNice

Cue the cries from Nashville: "Why couldn't they have just given Balsille one of THOSE teams?!?!?!? :evilcry:"

I agree with what Iggy said about it being more important to strengthen the franchises you have before you worry about new ones, yet you can't look a gift horse in the mouth. Another problem with relocating existing franchises is this: What if the current owners don't want to sell? It's perfectly well and good to mentally move the Panthers or the Capitals or the Thrashers, but what if, in reality, their owners are perfectly happy where they are and have no intention of selling or moving? You almost have to expand if there's a strong enough demand for franchises and no supply.

Finally, what about Oklahoma City? OKC tends to come up in a lot of AHL rumors, they have a new-ish arena of sufficient size, and they just proved they can support a big-league franchise when they hosted the Hornets.

If Bruckheimer brings the team there, you have to name them the Las Vegas Flying Dutchmen or Black Pearls.

(For those playing the home game, Bruckheimer is the producer of the Pirates movies.)

Las Vegas Grissoms

doesnt quite have the ring to it i expected...........

I think it would be awesome to have a team in Las Vegas but I don't want expansion. The league is fine with the amount of teams they have right now, so the only way a team should go to Las Vegas if via move. I also don't see a team surviving in KC but thats just my opinion. It will be cool to see if Hamilton and Las Vegas end up with teams.

Las Vegas cannot and will not support a major sports franchise. There are too many other entertainment options in the city. Hockey is most successful where it's the only game in town - in Las Vegas it would be behind just about everything else.

Terrible idea.

The league doesn't need to expand, either. Petey is right - without the Russian tradition continuing, the NHL just isn't getting the same caliber of stars it was ten years ago.