Best Sports Names

CMONPETEYD

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Colorado Rockies days (and 5 games with the Devils before being traded to Hartford...he scored the second goal in the Devils' inaugural 3-3 tie against the Penguins): #16 Merlin Malinowski

ALways liked the name Mackey Sasser

Wanted to name either of my boys Danton..................as in Danton Cole, not Mike Danton.

Wife wouldn't go for it.....so they are Bryan Leeds and Matthew (Way too popular a name)Leeds.

Danton Leeds would have been cool.

For hockey, I always liked Jaki Berg (pronounced Hockey Berg), Zigmund Palffy, and the Samuelssons, Ulf and Kjell (pronounced Shell). Scott Stevens and Jack Johnson get honorable mention for just sounding tough as hell.

In baseball, Milton Bradley.

And in the general world of sports, the most unfortunate name (and perhaps an explanation for why the guy is such a, um, dick), former head of the Anti-Doping thingamajig Dick Pound.

For hockey, I always liked Jaki Berg (pronounced Hockey Berg), Zigmund Palffy, and the Samuelssons, Ulf and Kjell (pronounced Shell). Scott Stevens and Jack Johnson get honorable mention for just sounding tough as hell.

In baseball, Milton Bradley.

And in the general world of sports, the most unfortunate name (and perhaps an explanation for why the guy is such a, um, dick), former head of the Anti-Doping thingamajig Dick Pound.

Edited by ClarkyDano23

That's a funny one. Another former brief MLB'er who is or isn't such a dick(actually isn't, as I''ve worked with him), is Dick Such

Quinton McCracken is kind of a funny baseball one. Reaching back in time a few decades again, to John "the Count" Montefusco. And despite the name Ryan Minor, was in the majors with the Orioles(he replaced Cal when Cal finally took a day off)

I always though Antero Nittymaki 's name was funny. Along with Jozef Balej and Ramzi Abid. Curis Leschyshyn was a fun one to say

731 has a photo on his avatar

I saw him play once. I think it was a game against the A.C. Boardwalk Bullies. But Fukufuji is only the 2nd best minor league name I've seen in person. I saw Cockburn net a hat trick for the Titans once (forget his first name, but I think someone mentioned him already in this thread). The PA announcer pronounced his name "Co-Burn", but we all knew what was up. He was on a line with two other funny names too ... can't remember them ... but me and my buddies called them the "Innuendo Line" all night.

Had to google the name to see if there was one.. and there was!

Harry Johnson (born. January 4, 1899 in Ecclesfield, Sheffield - died. 1981) was a footballer who played for Sheffield United between 1916-1931. He played in the position of striker.

yessssss! My friend wanted to name her son Harry but said her husband said it didn't sound like a star athlete... I said..."and there is always the last name problem..."

her: :huh:...

me: uhh.. Johnson? Harry Johnson?

One of my favourites:

Danny sh!ttu (born September 2, 1980 in Lagos) is a Nigerian footballer, currently playing for Football League Championship side Watford after signing from Queens Park Rangers for

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

In baseball I've always been kind of partial to Bert "Be Home" Blylevin.

In hockey...I know he's on our collective sh!tlists right now, but Johnny Oduya is an amazing name.

Someone mentioned the French Canadian names, and I have to agree. What was the old Dennis Leary bit? "Your name isn't Gee Dahmp-hoose, it's GUY DAMP-HOUSE!"

And the Russian hockey players..."Pick 15 letters to put in yoru last name, pick six to pronounce and BAM, you're a russian hockey player." I don't know if that's even close to right, I only vaguely remember it.