Why's the team playing so much better now?

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Well this looks like a whole different team from the one I was watching the first few weeks of the season. Pieces are starting to come together and they are starting to play like a team. What are your theories and explanations, besides the most obvious being the return of White and Langs (they've been huge but theres more to the story).

1. Coaching adjustments - Sutter seems to now recognize what he has on this team and what he has to do to make it work in a league as talented as the NHL. Overpressuring kids in juniors on the forecheck works more often than not because they lack the talent to make smart outlet passes. In the NHL you just make your players to go out of position for an offensive rush. The forecheck seems to have been toned down and the results are showing. The quality scoring chances for the opponents are way down, and its not that D is playing better so much but that the D is facing fewer difficult situations.

2. Trust - In the beginning of the season it seemed like 3 guys would go for loose pucks and no one really had any idea where to be in any situation. Every line and D pair looked lost except for Madden/Pandolfo. Now finally it appears the players have figured out what their responsibility is in certain situations and what they are supposed to be doing for their linemates. This seems most evident in the Elias/Gionta/Parise line. Where they actually are cycling now.

3. The Long season - Other teams that were hot out of the gate are now slowing down, and the devils are a veteran club that knows how to win over an 82 game season. They are consistent and methodical. Since other teams are lowering their games the devils can pick up points much easier now.

I dont' know those are my observations.

Pretty good list.

I'll throw in the fact that the Devils have been blessed by the schedule gods lately. They're getting a lot of tired teams into the Rock.

But it seems like everyone's role has shaken out. The defensemen are jumping up into the play at better times, the power play's started to get some permanence, and the Devils are getting a lot of bounces going their way.

The return of Langenbrunner and White is huge. We're also seeing better play from Paul Martin and John Oduya. I have been particularly impressed with Martin's progress. He's looking good out there.

The trust thing is big, too, halfshark. I think these guys are starting to believe in each other. Hopefully they can rely on that when things aren't going so well.

Three reasons....chemistry, chemistry, chemistry! The same reason we struggled in the beginning is the exact same reason we are doing well now. The puck movement has improved drastically, our transition game has improved and the D has learned where each other should be in the play. While this streak isn't going to last forever, we are starting to see the type of team the Dev were built to be....the same defensive style with more offensive pop.

Loving it while it lasts!

Paul Martin and Colin White have been tremendous, I agree. There's no worries for me when I see them out on the ice.

Having a guy like Colin White come back is so huge because it fills all the other gaps in the defense - it means Karel Rachunek is no longer masquerading as a top pairing defenseman, and Johnny Oduya is no longer on the 2nd pair, and Vitali Vishnevsky no longer has to play big minutes.

1) Return of White and Langs as White plays steady while taking ice-time from horrible D-men (the guy's last name begins with an O) and Burner (nickname I give to Langen Burner) stirs up the team offensively and stable the dressing room uncertainty.

2) Broduer doesn't need to worry about winning his 500th and catching Roy this season.

3) Biggest one. All the Devil fans keep bashing the team.

How about Marty playing like....Marty

See I don't know how much Marty has to do with this. He's been consistently good all year (not excellent). I haven't really noticed him elevate his play, just that he has a lot easier time now than he used to cause the team is so much better. There's no games I really can recall where I think he stole the game. I remember a few games early in the season in which he singlehandedly kept the team from getting blown out, but right now he seems like his usual consistent self back there.

With that said theres lots of games where they probably would have lost with another goalie back there. He's a key contributor no matter what.

See I don't know how much Marty has to do with this. He's been consistently good all year (not excellent). I haven't really noticed him elevate his play, just that he has a lot easier time now than he used to cause the team is so much better. There's no games I really can recall where I think he stole the game. I remember a few games early in the season in which he singlehandedly kept the team from getting blown out, but right now he seems like his usual consistent self back there.

With that said theres lots of games where they probably would have lost with another goalie back there. He's a key contributor no matter what.

Three reasons....chemistry, chemistry, chemistry! The same reason we struggled in the beginning is the exact same reason we are doing well now. The puck movement has improved drastically, our transition game has improved and the D has learned where each other should be in the play. While this streak isn't going to last forever, we are starting to see the type of team the Dev were built to be....the same defensive style with more offensive pop.

I think Marty said it best after the Philly game I think. It might have been a different game but either way he mentioned how with the return of Langs and White, the players on the team would finally get to play in their proper roles. I think that it's helped tremendously because now everybody is playing their role, getting the proper minutes, and being on the ice at the right time.

I also think that the team as a whole has paid more attention to detail and everybody is covering for one another. They are a much harder team to play against right now and it's exciting to see the teams play evolve. The D is contributing now and the team has a swagger.

I'm just glad I'm not going crazy. Even though it was early in the season the concern was very real that the season could get real ugly real fast and despite them not being the best team on paper, it just seemed like they should be better then what they had shown. The team was having a hard time winning and it was hard to figure out if things were not clicking or the team just didn't have it anymore.

They are not out of the woods just yet but things are looking up. :koolaid:

Edited by SickMan

1) Martin Brodeur - he's letting in a lot less of the softies, although they are still poking around

2) White stabilized the D. We now can play Martin/White as our #1 pairing... that helps a lot. I also like playing the 7D, since past Martin-White-VV, we have a very subpar, but young D. Experience is experience and leads to...

3) Chemsitry. Langenbrunner has helped out tremendously and has made our offense well rounded. With Madden finding his scoring touch, we now have 3 lines that can seriously put goals in, and a 4th line that can play solid on D and chip a goal in. Sorry Janssen, I dont think you have a roster spot any more (my wife will be very sad)

4) Schedule... we have had a lot of favorable matchups... whether it be win%, on a long road trip, back to back... we are getting the breaks, which is great... we couldnt buy one early on.

---------------------------

Worrisome signs: PAGING PATRIK ELIAS. Please regain your scoring touch so we can be dominant. Elias, Parise, Gionta should all be high scorers, with Langenbrunner, Zubrus, Zajac supporting them.

Weak D: If White or Martin gets injured, I feel we are back to our losing ways. We seriously need to get an IN HIS PRIME, Veteran D-man. Unfortunately, that isnt exactly cheap, we dont have assets to trade, and we want our picks for next years draft. In hindsight, we really should have dumped Gomez for a Forsberg type-loot. Philly got Upshall, Timonen, Hartnell, Parent and a 3rd ... Hell, even half of that would have helped now. I dont think we can make a serious trade... so I hope Whitey and Martin can stay healthy.

1) Martin Brodeur - he's letting in a lot less of the softies, although they are still poking around

2) White stabilized the D. We now can play Martin/White as our #1 pairing... that helps a lot. I also like playing the 7D, since past Martin-White-VV, we have a very subpar, but young D. Experience is experience and leads to...

3) Chemsitry. Langenbrunner has helped out tremendously and has made our offense well rounded. With Madden finding his scoring touch, we now have 3 lines that can seriously put goals in, and a 4th line that can play solid on D and chip a goal in. Sorry Janssen, I dont think you have a roster spot any more (my wife will be very sad)

4) Schedule... we have had a lot of favorable matchups... whether it be win%, on a long road trip, back to back... we are getting the breaks, which is great... we couldnt buy one early on.

---------------------------

Worrisome signs: PAGING PATRIK ELIAS. Please regain your scoring touch so we can be dominant. Elias, Parise, Gionta should all be high scorers, with Langenbrunner, Zubrus, Zajac supporting them.

Weak D: If White or Martin gets injured, I feel we are back to our losing ways. We seriously need to get an IN HIS PRIME, Veteran D-man. Unfortunately, that isnt exactly cheap, we dont have assets to trade, and we want our picks for next years draft. In hindsight, we really should have dumped Gomez for a Forsberg type-loot. Philly got Upshall, Timonen, Hartnell, Parent and a 3rd ... Hell, even half of that would have helped now. I dont think we can make a serious trade... so I hope Whitey and Martin can stay healthy.

I'm just glad I'm not going crazy. Even though it was early in the season the concern was very real that the season could get real ugly real fast and despite them not being the best team on paper, it just seemed like they should be better then what they had shown. The team was having a hard time winning and it was hard to figure out if things were not clicking or the team just didn't have it anymore.
Edited by Bulletproof

I like all of your reasons. I had been saying the trust was missing -- now it's coming. Somehow they've gotten the room to grow. They're in the moment now not rushing ahead or holding up. They're on the same page.

I don't know but that Islander loss was just silly and I don't know if that was the wake up call - I don't know if Marty was disgusted enough with them finally - I dont know if they finally slowed down so much that they could see, yes everyone WAS where they were supposed to be but no one was actually doing anything.

For some reason things slowed down for them on ice and they could see and trust and put it into motion finally. It's not perfect, not by a long shot.

I think bounces go wrong because they were set up wrong -- it's not so much luck... not going in on the first shot is luck -- missing the rebound, bad bounces like that, that's generally poor set up, poor preparation... OR bad ice :noclue:

I don't know exactkly what did it -- a combo of all. What sucks about that is where do you go if they start sliding again... but at least you have this to build off of.

The D is skating the puck out of the zone more often (instead of waiting for the opposition to come take it away). They're attacking the net more. They're sending in 2 forecheckers instead of zero to one. And although they could do more, their forwards are backchecking and clogging up the slots. The also have a coach who believes that all lines should attack. He has a traditional hockey mind which says: you try to score when you have the puck and you pick up a player when they do. I hope they can keep up the hard work.

Great post. I'll add confidence, confidence and confidence. A few tight wins, a few pucks bounce your way and the confidence kicks in. The team is riding the wave right now.