GDT: Carolina @ NEW JERSEY - 7 p.m the Redneck edition

eaglejelly

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What, an Oduya comparisons with a player of value. I thought that was forbidden around these parts. To be honest Oduya is really turning into a player, he still has a little ways to go but I really think he is here for the long run. The difference I find between he and Greene is that he is aggressive and plays physical. Aggressive in everything he does which really impresses me. Greene is far too soft for my liking and I would certainly package him with a forward for a defensmen.

He is much less tentative, though he has moments where he's still a little too cautious. In the LA game he was pretty bad but he really fought through it - just working people over along the boards and fighting for pucks harder.

He kind of played this way last year before collapsing before the end of the season into a penalty-taking machine - so I'm not entirely sure he's here to stay, but I would certainly keep him over Greene, who's done little to impress since the season began. Andy Greene will have a nice NHL career if he wants it - I'm not 100% sure it will be in New Jersey.

Niedermayer was like this for much longer than you people want to remember, and it's very easy to forget all the brutal giveaways Niedermayer made on a semi-regular basis.

They compared the skating style, nothing more.

God - to satisfy some of you people it's like Oduya would have to skate through the other team and score a goal. Wait, he did that - now I don't know what's left for him.

I was at the game tonight, and gotta say, WHAT A FVCKING GAME!!!

To all the Johnny Oduya naysayers ... you can officially suck it. The guy has his ups and downs, but if his ups in only his second season of NHL hockey look like this, then the guy is a keeper. Mental mistakes and poor positioning can be fixed, but pure talent like he showed tonight and in Philly can't be taught. The dude's got some skills.

Good to see the defense contributing. Good to see the team jumping out early. Good to see our boys not only holding a lead, but extending it. Good to see an enthusiastic crowd (at least from my vantage point in the $10 seats).

The only bad thing I saw tonight was the Hurricanes fans. I mean, they were respectful and all, but they were just bad to look at. Damn near every Hurricanes sweater I saw was a size extra-small on a guy who shoulda been wearing a freakin tent. I wish I was exaggerating. It was disturbing.

A couple questions though:

1) On Gulitti's blog, someone commented saying that Oduya pointed to the crest on his chest when he skated out for stars of the game. I missed this. Did anyone see if this really happened? If so, then his rapidly rising stock just jumped even more. Gotta love this guy.

2) Did anyone else see the AP story about Sutter switching everyone's lockers around? Apparently when the players showed up for the game, they found their stuff in a different stall. Sutter doesn't just shuffle lines anymore. And it worked. Genius.

All in all, great fuggin night. Goodnight, and God bless.

A couple questions though:

1) On Gulitti's blog, someone commented saying that Oduya pointed to the crest on his chest when he skated out for stars of the game. I missed this. Did anyone see if this really happened? If so, then his rapidly rising stock just jumped even more. Gotta love this guy.

Edited by ice dog

you are correct, he pulled the logo on the jersey and pointed to it as he thanked the fans...chico pointed out the meaning of what he was doing. It looks like lou has given him a full kool aid transfusion.

good to see oduya finally excel!

on a side note that BBQ sandwich chico consumed looked nasty...

oh, yeah larry dyed his hair...i think watching all the 1970's hi-lites on the centre bell jumbotron probably made him feel old, probably a mild cry for help, mid-life crisis etc.

you are correct, he pulled the logo on the jersey and pointed to it as he thanked the fans...chico pointed out the meaning of what he was doing. It looks like lou has given him a full kool aid transfusion.

good to see oduya finally excel!

on a side note that BBQ sandwich chico consumed looked nasty...

oh, yeah larry dyed his hair...i think watching all the 1970's hi-lites on the centre bell jumbotron probably made him feel old, probably a mild cry for help, mid-life crisis etc.

I'm not surprised Andy Greene is having a rough time of late he hasn't played as much as he would like, i still think he has a lot of potential to develop into a solid NHL player, but he is going to need more ice time if he is going to, and there in lies the problem.

As for the rest of the Defence , what an excellent game, Martins shot is getting through, i have no idea how, but it is. Madden and pando continue there excellent offensive production, and Zubrus gets a much needed goal. You can tell that last night was the most productive night from a Devils defence since 1984 :boogie:

Oduya has to be loving his new nickname "Johnny Orr", its better than "a$$hole".

Now this needs to be carried over to the next game.

i hope oduya keeps growing into a dependable two-way player. he doesn't have to be neidermayer but its nice to see him play physically on defense and add some offense. i'd still like the devils to add another offensive defensman as i see oduya as more of a depth guy.

and we still need another scoring forward. i wouldn't mind seeing clarkson on the 4th line and PP, i think he's still growing into his randy mckay expectations. let zubrus play with madden and pando, then try to add a winger like havlat. maybe greene becomes part of a trade now and brookbank can be that extra defensman.

Hello, Oduya stinks and let him skate somewhere else because he's out of position all the time. Pathetic joke comparing the two as Nieder is a HOF'er who can play the blueline while Oduya is a #4 at best playing in a 3 slot that has Marty backing up his bogus mistakes. :argh:

Nice breakout game for the Devils. A nice 60 minute game and 6 goals as well and four from the dmen! :boogie: The Oduya goal was awesome and it did remind me of the Niedermayer end to end goal in the 1995 SCF. Martin, Greene and White also had a strong games. If the Devils can play like this for the most part of the up coming games they can win them. Just a great game last night and their little meetings after the Ducks game and before yesterdays Canes game really worked. They were focused and played a Devils type game from beginning to end. They are going to need to do this on wednesday night when Ottawa comes in.

It was also TSN's play of the day.

I guess our D said "Hey, if our forwards are too inept to put the puck in the net, I guess we'll just have to do it for them". :)

I hope they continue to play well, because we can't have any weak links in these two upcoming games against Ottawa. They look like they are a force once again.