OGT: Devils @ Montreal 3/1/08 7:00pm

msweet

I could be wrong and only speaking for myself here, but I think when people say they haven't enjoyed this season or have been bored by it, they're being misinterprited. I haven't enjoyed this season, but being a Devils fan isnt about enjoyment. It's alot of work, especially the last few weeks. I can't tell you how many times I was actually a little disappointed to have to go to a game that night.

This team just doesn't make for FUN games often. When we do, they're ridiculously fun (the 6-1 win over Carolina and 7-3 win over Philly come to mind first), and the wins like the ones over Ottawa last month make the emotional investment entirely worth it. But sometimes it wears on ya, liking this team.

Again, I could be wrong, but that's how I interpet the "I'm not having fun" kind of comments about this team this year.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could be wrong and only speaking for myself here, but I think when people say they haven't enjoyed this season or have been bored by it, they're being misinterprited. I haven't enjoyed this season, but being a Devils fan isnt about enjoyment. It's alot of work, especially the last few weeks. I can't tell you how many times I was actually a little disappointed to have to go to a game that night.

This team just doesn't make for FUN games often. When we do, they're ridiculously fun (the 6-1 win over Carolina and 7-3 win over Philly come to mind first), and the wins like the ones over Ottawa last month make the emotional investment entirely worth it. But sometimes it wears on ya, liking this team.

Again, I could be wrong, but that's how I interpet the "I'm not having fun" kind of comments about this team this year.

I think the falls under the catagory of "jaded". You're not being a jackass, so I'll remove that part.

"It's alot of work, especially the last few weeks. I can't tell you how many times I was actually a little disappointed to have to go to a game that night."

Yep, jaded, maybe a little spoiled.

A great deal of our fans are jaded jackasses. End of story. It will be nice when we get to the end of the road we're heading down, and they're gone. Their replacements will be better.

It's a crappy team on paper that is doing everything in its' power to win, and it's still not good enough. Man, are people not going to be able to deal when GM Sutter has to rebuild this thing from the ground up a few years from now.

LOL. BANDWAGON. "I don't think they can win, so I'm not going to go."

I'm highly offended that you have the nerve to call me (or anyone) jaded or spoiled. I don't think I'm at all jaded, and definately not spoiled. I still like going to every game I go to, but when you combine games with work and a home life, it gets exhausting. And when you know that going to a game is not oftentimes going to be a 100% enjoyable experience, and that it's going to feel like work to emotionally invest yourself into what's going on on the ice, it's hard to look forward to sometimes. That doesn't mean I don't like being there or that I don't like this team because they don't win the way that makes for an easy-to-swallow night of relaxing enjoyment. I don't get what you have to prove by deciding that other people around here aren't good enough fans because they don't find some of these games enjoyable.

or interests have changed. hockey isn't #1 on my list right now. sorry, it's not my life. at this point in time i would rather spend my money on other things. if that makes me a bandwagon fan in your eyes thats fine. i've been going to games for 20 years through good, bad, and ugly.

god forbid somebody comes on and posts their opinions that don't agree with yours. lets just all bow down to the those people and change so that our opinions mesh with yours.

i don't understand why people can't say, "you know what, i kind of see what your talking about, i don't agree with it but i understand."

or interests have changed. hockey isn't #1 on my list right now. sorry, it's not my life. at this point in time i would rather spend my money on other things. if that makes me a bandwagon fan in your eyes thats fine. i've been going to games for 20 years through good, bad, and ugly.

god forbid somebody comes on and posts their opinions that don't agree with yours. lets just all bow down to the those people and change so that our opinions mesh with yours.

i don't understand why people can't say, "you know what, i kind of see what your talking about, i don't agree with it but i understand."

I'm highly offended that you have the nerve to call me (or anyone) jaded or spoiled. I don't think I'm at all jaded, and definately not spoiled. I still like going to every game I go to, but when you combine games with work and a home life, it gets exhausting. And when you know that going to a game is not oftentimes going to be a 100% enjoyable experience, and that it's going to feel like work to emotionally invest yourself into what's going on on the ice, it's hard to look forward to sometimes. That doesn't mean I don't like being there or that I don't like this team because they don't win the way that makes for an easy-to-swallow night of relaxing enjoyment. I don't get what you have to prove by deciding that other people around here aren't good enough fans because they don't find some of these games enjoyable.

I completely understand what most of you are talking about.

- getting up at 6 to 8am

- driving or getting to work

- working from 9 to 5

- than going home and than to the arena or heading straight to the arena

All of that alone is very tiring for most plus you can add in other responsibilities such as kids or spouses and your day can be very tiring, especially if you drop 100 bucks at the arena to see a lackluster performance like Friday night.

Edited by Satans Hockey

"i love the post season a lot but this team just does nothing for me. i know exactly what i'm going to get 99% of the time. minimal goals and pray marty gives up 0 or 1. playoffs will be no different. i've been a partial plan holder for years and this is the first time i'm not bothering to send in the invoice for rounds 1 and 2"

It has nothing to do with your personal life. That is what you said.

Jaded.

Edited by devils744

Why so defensive? Then don't go to the trouble of saying you're not renewing your playoff invoice in a public forum unless you're prepared for the backlash.

I'm not going to accuse you of anything since I don't know you but you have to admit it just looks fishy when you have two different posts saying the team's no fun to watch, then after the fact when you get called on it you and a couple others throw in qualifiers about time, money, etc.

If anything it should be more fun this year than some other years going to games with the new arena. I hope people aren't already bored with it, because leaving the actual game out of it it's a ton more enjoyable going to Prudential Center than it was CAA. And the results have been similar than in prior years so given similar results and better arena it shouldn't be less enjoyable to go to games this year.