OGT: Devils @ Montreal 3/1/08 7:00pm

msweet

Greene, Greene, Greene...

I was waiting for how long it would take to realize that the fate of this team is inexorably linked to whether or not Andy Greene is in the lineup.

The pairs were better tonight, without him there.

Accept the fact that Greene is not an impact player, has probably played himself out of the lineup, should be thrown under the bus, and will in no way impact this team this season to any significant positive result.

Edited by SatansDevils

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok obviously we all know you hate Greene. We all know how negative you are too about the Devils so that was no brainer there too. To you the Devils don't deserve anything this season so they should just tank the season to prove you are right. Please. Of course I was waiting to hear YOU say that "the line up was better tonight without Greene there." That was too obvious. Greene should have been in the line up and not Brookbank. Looks like we are both waiting to hear here. ;)

That post had to be the most incorrect opposite post I've ever seen in my entire life. DevilinLA has been a absolutely a good posotive poster... he doesn't like Greene, you don't like Brooker, he says tom*a*toe, you say tom*ah*toe. But I think you're have a sour taste in your mouth still from that trivia mixup, but it's just me ;)

I don't hate Greene...but every game you you see a Greene connection...

You have an argument as to either:

1.) Why he should be there

2.) Why he was the best performing defenseman that night

EVERY GAME....

I just want some proof other than opinion...really, convince me, tell me what he brings that you see?

I'd definately don't want to see the Devils tank, I want them to win, I'd like to see a turnaround in game play ala before the Brookbank/Greene experiment was introduced.

But, we don't deserve to win purely on the merits of one player...no matter how good he is...that's why hockey is a team sport...dumping it all in Brodeur's lap is not fair.

Unlike a few here, I don't feel a daily need to constantly prove to others if I think I am right.

No nothing at all really. No sour taste at all especially when he and I already cleared that all up. That is for fun and nothing wronmg with that. Just that he likes to attack what I have to say day in and day out lately. Clearly I see the game "live" and see that Greene has had really that one bad game. It is very hard to see everything on TV from LA and decide that Greene is no good. Greene does the little things that you don't see away from the puck. He is a lot better than Brookbank and both are rookies and also better than Rachunek in the defensive zone. I hear this all the time at the arena so I am not alone here.

I must be reading his posts in another language then by you saying he is positive when many here are say why is he so negative? :whistling: Hmmm.

so, basically to not hop on the bandwagon and say ECF is negative - OK?

If you read my posts, I constantly praise guys like Mottau, Langs, and Pelley (sometimes undeservedly)

My positive blind spot, admittedly, is Sutter - I'm alway praising him.

Edited by DevilinLA

Ok, well at least here, finally, you are giving me some concrete things to look for. Thats what I'm asking for.

I want to here what I am apparently missing. The rest is pure opinion.

Big deal, you have season tickets...many w/Season tickets here echo my comments about Greene...daily.

Did the season ticket holders at Montreal tonight see things we didn't on the broadcast?

You, yourself, have been bagging Rachunek up until tonight, wishing for him to be traded for a while.

I just want some substance..... ;)

Its not personal...

When you post often...you have to be prepared not to take it personally when people have a different opinion.

All this nitpicking about Greene v. Brookbank v. VV v. Rachunek v. Mottau is nuts. They are all basically slightly different hues of mediocrity. Picking the right defensive pairs isn't suddenly gonna make our team competitive and solve our two biggest problems:

1. Terrible Transition game from defense to Offense

2. Terrible Offensive instincts in the zone.

We cannot generate offense if the other team makes an effort to stop us. Its that simple. If they pressure our Dmen to make a bad pass/rushed dump in or successfully deflect attacks to the corner we're toast. We have no solution to this problem. Our offensive chances this game were few and not very substantial, we cannot come from behind, and unless Marty dominates we cannot shut down opposing offenses like we used to.

We are at our best, a good team, and nothing more.

All this nitpicking about Greene v. Brookbank v. VV v. Rachunek v. Mottau is nuts. They are all basically slightly different hues of mediocrity. Picking the right defensive pairs isn't suddenly gonna make our team competitive and solve our two biggest problems:

We cannot generate offense if the other team makes an effort to stop us. Its that simple. If they pressure our Dmen to make a bad pass/rushed dump in or successfully deflect attacks to the corner we're toast. We have no solution to this problem. Our offensive chances this game were few and not very substantial, we cannot come from behind, and unless Marty dominates we cannot shut down opposing offenses like we used to.

Brookbank hasn't been bad the last few games IMO. He is just as physical as Vishnevski and is much smarter going about it. I wouldn't change much about our defense, other then Martin in for Rachunek. I like this Brookbank experiment. I actually see some potential in him.

Once again Marty was the only player that kept us in the game :angry:

As soon as i saw we only scored one goal when scrolling down to view the scores i knew we had lost, the fact Marty kept the game so close is amazing.

Also how can an entire offense be so streaky :angry::angry::angry:

If we scored 1 more goal tonight the refs wouldn't have been such a problem.

I wish Sutter said something like that.

this can be said on many nights. all the 1 goal games they win which it seems like every win is by a goal is going to come back and haunt them.

bottom line is they can't score on a consistent basis. this is why i have no expectations for this team. i expect them to score 1 possibly 2 goals a night. anything more is a bonus. you aren't going to win games by constantly scoring a goal a game.

at least at the start of the year the games were fun and exciting to watch when sutter tried something different. for the most part this season hasn't been fun or exciting.

Edited by devils744

offense got over 30 shots, not a single one threatening to be a quality scoring chances. Almost all bad angle shots and poor efforts over and over by gionta. I know he scored, but that might as well have been another shutout as far as I am concerned. That lone was a gift, and shouldnt even be considered when analyzing how this team is playing. Sutter needs to get more consistent offense from this team.

Yea, I dont think the puck has been shot hard at the net by any Devil in 4 games. It's like their sticks are all made of rubber.

Edited by NCDevsFan

If you're telling me this season hasn't been fun, just don't watch hockey. We are second in the god damn conference and you're complaining like we are 10th. You know how many teams and how many fanbases would be popping champagne right now for how well their team is playing? This season has most definately been fun and exciting, what do you call that 5 game win streak not any more than a week ago? Were you bored out of your mind at seeing this team pull out close games? If so, than you haven't watched Devils hockey since 01.

Thank you, it galls me when the team is in first and people are complaining about not having any fun watching the team. Posts like the one you responded to make coming to the site no fun :P

If you're telling me this season hasn't been fun, just don't watch hockey. We are second in the god damn conference and you're complaining like we are 10th. You know how many teams and how many fanbases would be popping champagne right now for how well their team is playing? This season has most definately been fun and exciting, what do you call that 5 game win streak not any more than a week ago? Were you bored out of your mind at seeing this team pull out close games? If so, than you haven't watched Devils hockey since 01.

i've been a fan since 1987 and i can honestly say i haven't enjoyed many games this season for whatever reason. guess according to many here i'm not a true fan. oh well.

i've been a fan since 1987 and i can honestly say i haven't enjoyed many games this season for whatever reason. guess according to many here i'm not a true fan. oh well.

Well, shoot. I always enjoy the regular season. It's the post season that I havent enjoyed the last few years :P

Well, shoot. I always enjoy the regular season. It's the post season that I havent enjoyed the last few years :P

i love the post season a lot but this team just does nothing for me. i know exactly what i'm going to get 99% of the time. minimal goals and pray marty gives up 0 or 1. playoffs will be no different. i've been a partial plan holder for years and this is the first time i'm not bothering to send in the invoice for rounds 1 and 2.

this can be said on many nights. all the 1 goal games they win which it seems like every win is by a goal is going to come back and haunt them.

bottom line is they can't score on a consistent basis. this is why i have no expectations for this team. i expect them to score 1 possibly 2 goals a night. anything more is a bonus. you aren't going to win games by constantly scoring a goal a game.

at least at the start of the year the games were fun and exciting to watch when sutter tried something different. for the most part this season hasn't been fun or exciting.

If you'd rather watch a team that plays exciting games at the expense of leading the division, there's a few other teams in the division that may be calling your name.

If you'd rather watch a team that plays exciting games at the expense of leading the division, there's a few other teams in the division that may be calling your name.

A great deal of our fans are jaded jackasses. End of story. It will be nice when we get to the end of the road we're heading down, and they're gone. Their replacements will be better.

It's a crappy team on paper that is doing everything in its' power to win, and it's still not good enough. Man, are people not going to be able to deal when GM Sutter has to rebuild this thing from the ground up a few years from now.

i love the post season a lot but this team just does nothing for me. i know exactly what i'm going to get 99% of the time. minimal goals and pray marty gives up 0 or 1. playoffs will be no different. i've been a partial plan holder for years and this is the first time i'm not bothering to send in the invoice for rounds 1 and 2.

LOL. BANDWAGON. "I don't think they can win, so I'm not going to go."

I agree where if people haven't enjoyed this season, they are just plain crazy.

However, with a top six of Elias, Parise, Gionta, Zajac, Langenbrunner, Zubrus etc, it is getting frustrating with them not netting any goals or points really lately.

That being said, keep winning games 1-0 or 2-1 and have Marty steal all of em, fine by me! Just get some W's in the book and I'm happy.