Blake Wheeler Visits Devils & Rangers

Patches O'Houlihan

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not interested, the only thing this guy has going for him is the fact that he is big and he was taken #5 overall.

In his final year as a gopher he scored 38 points, Paul Martin's final year he scored 39 points. I have a feeling that this guy was a bust and maybe it wasn't all his decision to leave phoenix.

Not interested, the only thing this guy has going for him is the fact that he is big and he was taken #5 overall.

In his final year as a gopher he scored 38 points, Paul Martin's final year he scored 39 points. I have a feeling that this guy was a bust and maybe it wasn't all his decision to leave phoenix.

Thats not a fair comparison at all though. Martin played on an absolutely stacked Gophers team that included guys like Thomas Vanek and Keith Ballard(whom i would kill someone to get on the devils) and had just won 2 straight national championships. Wheeler this year played on an offensively inept team that barely made the NCAA tourney, and did so by an improbably run through the conference tournament. After Okposo left there wasnt much of a talented supporting cast around him.

Edited by Sarge18

Ya, looking at 2004. You are just distorting facts. (By the way, avg games played was around 76, not 100).

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2004e.html

lol nice math. since i said THE TOP 10 PICKS of the draft have averaged around 100 games - and wow, look, they averaged 102.5 games so far. i'm pretty good at this i guess.

so the fact that the rest of the round has averaged 76 supports me even more. but keep thinking that there's much of a comparison between #30 and #10.

You are being purposefully deceiving saying everyone in that class is "playing pro hockey somewhere". Well that's great for them, maybe this kid wants to play in the NHL and how did his class do when it comes to the NHL?

no, i'm not. blake wheeler is the only player in the 1st round of that draft that is not playing professional hockey - he is not earning a paycheck this season.

-12 first round picks have played 100+ more games

-15 have less then 40 NHL game experience

-8 have 0 NHL experience (with 4 more having less then 10)

and you don't read my posts, because lauri korpokoski played for the rangers in the playoffs. besides blake wheeler, there are 3 non-goalie players who've yet to draw any sort of NHL paycheck/playing time.

Point is, he gave up a year maybe 2 years of a 2-way AHL contract that would have paid him what? 100k? and now gets to choose where he plays NHL hockey.

yeah 'cause that's what all that proves - i'm pretty sure phoenix would've kept him trapped in the minors, given the scrubs who've drawn serious ice time on that team the last two years. and it's not like going where you want is exactly a pancaea, or maybe you should ask barrett heisten, ben clymer, or even mike van ryn.

if wheeler didn't want to play for the coyotes, fine - it's a somewhat sad irony, as everyone looked at wheeler as a total off-the-board pick when it was made, and even now he doesn't project to be anything that special. he got passed on the depth chart by about 3 guys this season. but don't go thinking this decision was the best for his NHL career or even his career earnings, because it's rather likely it was neither.

lol nice math. since i said THE TOP 10 PICKS of the draft have averaged around 100 games - and wow, look, they averaged 102.5 games so far. i'm pretty good at this i guess.

Actually that's not what you said. You said conflicting things you cited BOTH groups. Not my fault you weren't clear when you wrote:

Every 1st round pick from 2004 is now in pro hockey except him. Of the top 10 picks in the 2004 draft, only Wheeler and Montoya have yet to play in the NHL, and Montoya is simply a bust. Other than that, the average NHL games played is around 100. That's around $800K in lost earnings for Wheeler, plus his UFA clock starts late.

I'm not going to get into a huge semantic war, you are clearly ambiguous either way and force the reader to guess what you are talking about in your third sentence whether you are referring to all first round picks or just the top 10. Considering you started the sentence with "other then that" i took at as "ignoring my last point, which is where I singled out the top 10 picks" and assumed you were referring to the whole first round again.

Don't get pissy when you your point doesn't get across because you weren't clear.

no, i'm not. blake wheeler is the only player in the 1st round of that draft that is not playing professional hockey - he is not earning a paycheck this season.

He is not the only player to have not played an NHL regular season game according to hockeydb.com from the first round of 2004.

and you don't read my posts, because lauri korpokoski played for the rangers in the playoffs. besides blake wheeler, there are 3 non-goalie players who've yet to draw any sort of NHL paycheck/playing time.

Again, there are 8 players according to hockeydb that have never played an NHL game from the first round in 2004. 7 if you count the 1 whole game Korposki played in the playoffs. Tally still stands that half the first round has less then 40 NHL game experience. And yeah, goalies count, they were draft picks after all.

yeah 'cause that's what all that proves - i'm pretty sure phoenix would've kept him trapped in the minors, given the scrubs who've drawn serious ice time on that team the last two years. and it's not like going where you want is exactly a pancaea, or maybe you should ask barrett heisten, ben clymer, or even mike van ryn.

if wheeler didn't want to play for the coyotes, fine - it's a somewhat sad irony, as everyone looked at wheeler as a total off-the-board pick when it was made, and even now he doesn't project to be anything that special. he got passed on the depth chart by about 3 guys this season. but don't go thinking this decision was the best for his NHL career or even his career earnings, because it's rather likely it was neither.

Im not saying anything about whats best for his career or his career earnings. I don't really care, I'm saying the kid passed up 1 or 2 years of AHL pay to become an UFA and I don't think thats right. stop twisting everything.

Edited by squishyx

I'm not going to get into a huge semantic war, you are clearly ambiguous either way and force the reader to guess what you are talking about in your third sentence whether you are referring to all first round picks or just the top 10. Considering you started the sentence with "other then that" i took at as "ignoring my last point, which is where I singled out the top 10 picks" and assumed you were referring to the whole first round again.

Don't get pissy when you your point doesn't get across because you weren't clear.

yeah fine that was unclear, you're right

He is not the only player to have not played an NHL regular season game according to hockeydb.com from the first round of 2004.

you are familiar with the definition of 'professional hockey', right? players in the minor leagues do get compensated or 'paid' for their performance there.

Again, there are 8 players according to hockeydb that have never played an NHL game from the first round in 2004. 7 if you count the 1 whole game Korposki played in the playoffs. Tally still stands that half the first round has less then 40 NHL game experience. And yeah, goalies count, they were draft picks after all.

goalies are on a different timetable than regular skaters. and if we're going to be really picky, since someone has insisted that we are, al montoya was on the rangers' roster for a time in 07, though he never got into a game - that still means he earns an NHL paycheck.

Im not saying anything about whats best for his career or his career earnings. I don't really care, I'm saying the kid passed up 1 or 2 years of AHL pay to become an UFA and I don't think thats right. stop twisting everything.

right, it's pretty clear he passed up the AHL - we all know how much better enver lisin and daniel winnik are than blake wheeler.

you are familiar with the definition of 'professional hockey', right? players in the minor leagues do get compensated or 'paid' for their performance there.

Ya, which is why I always said NHL because I don't think Blake really cares about playing in Finland. I never said you were wrong about "pro contracts" i narrowed my case down to "NHL" experience. I read, did you?

goalies are on a different timetable than regular skaters. and if we're going to be really picky, since someone has insisted that we are, al montoya was on the rangers' roster for a time in 07, though he never got into a game - that still means he earns an NHL paycheck.

Ok goalies don't count and cant get those other various pro contracts you were talking about. I wonder what they do after college but before they develop.

right, it's pretty clear he passed up the AHL - we all know how much better enver lisin and daniel winnik are than blake wheeler.

Working well for him now.

I thought draft picks 1-5 had the ability to sign contracts larger than the rookie max? If so, wheeler could command more than the 850k or whatever the max is now. This may only be a new CBA rule though, and it might not apply to a 2004 draft pick, I dont know.

My daddy can beat both your daddies in a single rink with one hand tied behind his back

My daddy once caught a bullet, with his bare hands.

Phoenix offered Wheeler the best contract they could (based on the pre-CBA law), so that isn't it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lou is promising Wheeler top nine ice time to begin the season. Since there's a rookie max, promises of playing time are the only real way to gain leverage over other teams.

If the Devils sign Wheeler, expect him to be in the starting lineup to begin the season.

And tri, I'm not sure why you think Wheeler will struggle if he doesn't get AHL time. He's 6'5" 230lbs, has decent skills for a big guy, and has been in the college game for three seasons. Did players like Paul Stastny, Andrew Cogliano, and Matt Niskanen have trouble adjusting to the NHL? There are plenty of players who jump from college to the NHL with little problem.

As far as I'm concerned, the Devils should go balls out for Wheeler considering their dearth of quality young players/prospects.

Edited by Voros19

Strickland is a good source, he was the guy who broke Salvador to NJ.

Very interesting, we need the offensive depth. Say what you want about this guy, but if we have the chance to sign a former 5th overall player, then we should jump at it.

Im sure the fact we have Parise, Langs and Martin will somewhat influence his decision too.

Imagine if we could land Matt Gilroy next year, whilst having two solid drafts. The Devils would be back to Stanley Cup contention very soon.

I don't see how New Jersey can promise him ice time, unless they move Gionta. The problem with Wheeler is that while you think you're getting a player capable of playing in the NHL, there doesn't seem to be any guarantee that he's going to be either a scoreline player or a checker.

I guess I'll believe it on July 1.

The Gophers used him as a center this season. He scored more points at that position.

Seems the kid may of found his true position, he certainly has the frame to play pivot.

I'm not sure if this was posted here but I found it over in the comment section on TG's blog:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=15671

This was posted by Andy Strickland today:

Good news.

I don't see how New Jersey can promise him ice time, unless they move Gionta. The problem with Wheeler is that while you think you're getting a player capable of playing in the NHL, there doesn't seem to be any guarantee that he's going to be either a scoreline player or a checker.

I guess I'll believe it on July 1.

You can say that about almost any young player. Wheeler is going to be cheap, and it will only be for two years, so it is well worth the risk in my opinion.