Marcus Naslund and Dimitry Kalinin to Rangers

Satans Hockey

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter what the circumstances three years ago, would you say that there's not really a leadership black hole with Jagr gone?

That I would agree with - once Drury signed with them last season, the "next captain" was known.

I also liked the veteran move with Naslund. The Rangers are still very very young, another guy like that was needed. Personally I thought that is where Shanny made sense, but have no issues with what they did. I do not buy the washed up, think for him the change is going to be key. Not saying 40 goals and 80 points, but I do not think 15 goals and 25 assists either. 25 goals, 35 assists - I would consider that about what we expect.

Should be interesting...

no more jagr, avery gone...

the rangers are gonna suck next year...

ha ha

sather is imploding!

can we sticky this thread, well at least this post. Would like to re-visit this come February-March.
Sorry but the way this works out is:

Jagr, Avery, Shanahan, Tyutin

for

Naslund, Zherdev, Fritsche, Redden

Thats a downgrade.

Naslund does not create his own opportunities, nor others for his teammates. He shoots, which is a good thing, but hes not the premier scorer he was several years ago. Jagr is a more dynamic player than him. Avery is much better than Fritsche will ever be, as painful as it is to say. Shanahan despite his age gave 100 percent even when he was injured and was still a force on the PP. Zherdev while talented, is a headcase and when the puck is controlled by the other team, is essentially useless, a ghost. Redden is and always has been overrated. Hes a shell of what he was four or five years ago. At this point, I dont know whether theres a dramatic difference in ability and potential return between Tyutin and Redden.

You forgot, Malik is gone. That trumps everything and they automatically become better!!!!!!

Naslund and Jagr can't even be compared.

Last 3 years Jagr has ~300 points and a +68 rating.

Naslund has ~ 200 points and a -23 rating.

Huge dropoff for the Rags no matter how you look at it.

You can't ignore a -23, especially on a team that is offensively challenged to begin with.

20/25/45 and an even rating would be an amazing year for Naslund.

I suspect they'll get less than that for the $4 million.

Edited by BlueSkirt

Naslund and Jagr can't even be compared.

Last 3 years Jagr has ~300 points and a +68 rating.

Naslund has ~ 200 points and a -23 rating.

Huge dropoff for the Rags no matter how you look at it.

You can't ignore a -23, especially on a team that is offensively challenged to begin with.

20/25/45 and an even rating would be an amazing year for Naslund.

I suspect they'll get less than that for the $4 million.

Good points. Jagr was also a much more consistent threat every time he touched the puck and was willing to take a hit. I don't see either in Naslund.

Is this familiar or what?

Rangers fans are saying they didn't get worse this offseason. All they did was lose two of their most important players and replace them with whatever they could scrape together when the dust settled after the initial free agent frenzy. They'll be relying heavily on their young players next year.

Didn't this exact same thing happen to us last offseason? We lost two of our most important players, scraped together whatever acquisitions we could after the dust settled from the initial free agent frenzy, and planned on (or rather hoped for) our younger guys really stepping up and becoming legit, everyday contributors.

We put together a respectable regular season only because Marty played out of his mind all season long. Lundqvist is good, but he has yet to show that he can carry a team on his back. It's going to be a long season in Manhattan. Anyone who believes otherwise is in denial.

For those of you curious, I did some math to with the points from the 6 departing Rangers with the 6 coming in...

Jagr - 71

Shanny - 46

Straka - 33

Avery - 33

Tyutin - 20

Backman - 18

-----------

229 points

Zherdev - 61

Naslund - 55

Redden - 38

Fritche - 22

Rissmiller - 17

Kalinin - 8

------------

201 points

How I see it, Naslund and Redden are on the major decline. Look for their numbers to dock down to 45 for Naslund and 30 for Redden. Who knows about the chemistry of Gomez with Zherdev or even how Zherdev will handle the pressure. Look for Zherdev to finish with about the same number of points tho. This team is a huge downgrade from last season. No fire without Avery and they are much slower.

i'm pretty stoaked i can actually wear a tyutin jersey now :) i wonder if the garden will let me have those giant pics of him.

i bumped into a self proclaimed "huge hockey fan" last night who claimed to know everything there is to know about hockey who then asked me, if naslund was any good and if he was new to the nhl... :rolleyes:

For those of you curious, I did some math to with the points from the 6 departing Rangers with the 6 coming in...

Jagr - 71

Shanny - 46

Straka - 33

Avery - 33

Tyutin - 20

Backman - 18

-----------

229 points

Zherdev - 61

Naslund - 55

Redden - 38

Fritche - 22

Rissmiller - 17

Kalinin - 8

------------

201 points

Don't forget the intangables that Shanny, Jagr and Avery brought to the team. If anyone things Zherdev, Naslund, and Redden bring the same leadership and fire, they're out of their minds. Let's not overlook the fact that the Rangers biggest loss will come next offseason, when Lundqvist's barn door sized pads are lost to rule changes.

They trade away young talent yesterday and sign a has-been today. Welcome back late '90s-early '00s Rangers! I missed ya!

the devs sign the unibrow extraordinaire. and rolston talk about welcome back to the 90's. mr .black, mr. kettle

Jagr - 71

Shanny - 46

Straka - 33

Avery - 33

Tyutin - 20

Backman - 18

-----------

229 points

Zherdev - 61

Naslund - 55

Redden - 38

Fritche - 22

Rissmiller - 17

Kalinin - 8

------------

201 points

How I see it, Naslund and Redden are on the major decline. Look for their numbers to dock down to 45 for Naslund and 30 for Redden. Who knows about the chemistry of Gomez with Zherdev or even how Zherdev will handle the pressure. Look for Zherdev to finish with about the same number of points tho. This team is a huge downgrade from last season. No fire without Avery and they are much slower.

How is Redden on the decline? And your last sentence proved that. Slower???? Shanny resembles a cone, jagr lost a step on speed and played with his size. Zherdev, Naslund and Fritche all have very good speed. The Rangers got Voros who will take the place of Avery and he is on the upside.

Yes the rangers lost a few guys but it was time to get younger and bigger with speed. Time will tell but me as a ranger fan thinks they will be a better team because of this.

How is Redden on the decline? And your last sentence proved that. Slower???? Shanny resembles a cone, jagr lost a step on speed and played with his size. Zherdev, Naslund and Fritche all have very good speed. The Rangers got Voros who will take the place of Avery and he is on the upside.

Yes the rangers lost a few guys but it was time to get younger and bigger with speed. Time will tell but me as a ranger fan thinks they will be a better team because of this.

Redden played more games this season (80) than the last 2 seasons and he put up worse numbers. He is slow too.

Alright guys. As a member of the "opposing" team I would like to keep this as civil as possible.

Let me go through each signing made by both teams and I'll give you my honest, non-biased opinion.

Rangers: Sign D Wade Redden

Like every single UFA D-man, we paid more than what he's really worth. Nonetheless, we got ourselves a puck-moving defenseman and were able to rid ourselves of Malik. So, getting Redden for Malik is a huge boost. From what I've been hearing with Ottawa fans, Redden can be an excellent defenseman if he's partnered with a stay-at-home defenseman instead of another offensive d-man. Like ALL trades, you will not know what he will bring to the table until he actually plays. Personally, I think this solified our already strong defensive corp.

With that being said, I am NOT a fan of having him for SIX years. I understand though having a veteran for when our younger d (Sangs, Del Zotto, etc.) down the road. We'll shall see.

Personaly, out of all the trades, this is my least favorite. Redden for 6.5? THAT is "Rangers pre-lockout" right here.

Rangers: Sign D Paul Mara

I'll keep this quick. I like it a lot. 1 year, 1.95 million is cheap for a solid D-man. Though I wish they used him a little more on the Point (looks like it'll be Redden) a solid D-man that was better than Malik and Backman.

Rangers: Sign Naslund and Kalinin

Obviously, I'd rather have Jagr than Naslund, but Naslund - in my opinion - is a solid +25 goal scorer who should easily put up Jagr numbers from last season. We'll see how he fits into our system. But a lot of Vancouver fans think that the change can (obviously this is a hit or miss) do good for Naslund. Regardless of what people think of him compared to Jagr, there is no arguing that he is a solid offensive force. I feel he just couldn't click with the Sedins and has a better chance with the Rangers. Almost every single Canuck fan believes it to be a solid pick-up and I'll take their word for it.

We had to let Jagr go eventually. He was definitely getting too old (nonetheless still a phenomenal and lethal player) but it was time to move on. We - though slightly - go younger with this pick.

Kalinin is a solid pick for little cap move. Picking up Kalinin and Redden in exchange for Backman and Malik is easy. And let me emphasize: Not a fan of the Redden one.

Rangers: Trade Tyutin and Backman to Columbus for Zherdev and Fritsche .

Absolutely love it. Yes, Tyutin is a solid 2-line D-man, but for a young, talented winger like Zherdev? In a heartbeat. Obviously, the Rangers' did exceptionally better than Columbus (who need some strong O) in this deal.

Zherdev = $2,500,000

Fritsche = RFA (needs to be qualified I guess)

Tyutin = $2,843,750

Backman = $2,300,000

Anyway you slice it, it looks like Slats just got Gomer a bonafide scoring winger and freed up $2 million. Gotta love it.

Worst case? I can see Zherdev putting up 20-25 goals. Not too shabby for a young, talented player.

Fritsche? A non-entity really. Simply a depth player. Nonetheless, a marvelous move.

Devils: Sign F Brian Rolston

If I were a Devil fan, I'd absolutely love this one. Brian Rolston put up some decent numbers last season with 31 goals and 59 points. A great two-way player who will (once again) fit in perfectly with the Devils' system. An excellent move here by Lou.

Devils: Sign F Bobby Holik

I see a lot of Devil fans are estatic with this one. Personally, I think this was really a no-impact, slightly negative move on the Devil's part (Redden anyone?). Now THIS is old-school Ranger's pre-lockout move right here. Holik is a shell of his former self. At 37, the Devils in-fact look OLDER this year than previous and have done NOTHING to fix their main problem: Their blue-line.

Sorry, but I am not worried about Holik at all, for this one. As it has been stated by Devil fans earlier, all you did was create the most expensive 4th line.

Let me say once again I LOVE the Rolston move. I think it was an excellent and proper move, but the Holik one has me scratching my head.

Devils: Sign Fedor Fedorov

This one...well...

...he's not even making your team, to be honest.

BTW I hate to break it to you but Redden is not a puck moving defenseman. :giggle: he flat out sucks and cannot play defense for sh!t. You will see that a lot this coming season and will realize Sather wasted a boat load of money ($6.5M) :puke: on this douche of a defenseman. I am so glad Lou didn't even blink to try to pick this guy up for defense. Ottawa is rejoicing right now that Redden is finally gone. he is the NYr problem now and you will see. Redden is WAY overrated.

BTW I hate to break it to you but Redden is not a puck moving defenseman. :giggle: he flat out sucks and cannot play defense for sh!t. You will see that a lot this coming season and will realize Sather wasted a boat load of money ($6.5M) :puke: on this douche of a defenseman. I am so glad Lou didn't even blink to try to pick this guy up for defense. Ottawa is rejoicing right now that Redden is finally gone. he is the NYr problem now and you will see. Redden is WAY overrated.

We'll see...

...but I can't say that I flat-out disagree with you. I'm simply saying that we can only see what will happen.

I said it before, and I'll say it again: I hate the move. I'm trying to be as "optimistic" as possible, but I can't see it working.

A horrible, horrible move. Personally, I think the Holik move was utterly wasted...but thankfully, it's only for one year.

Geez, SatansDevils, Redden is THAT bad? He is overpaid (and Rangersfans said as much), but you make him out to be Andrei Zyuzin or something.

Well not as bad as Zyuzin but he is not that good especially for that kind of money. For $6.5M they make him out to be like a Scott Niedermayer and Redden is FAR from that. He sucks and we will all see.

Rangerfans, I know you are optimistic and that is good but like you said have to hope for the best. At least he will be better than Malik. :P:)

Rangers: Sign Naslund and Kalinin

Obviously, I'd rather have Jagr than Naslund, but Naslund - in my opinion - is a solid +25 goal scorer who should easily put up Jagr numbers from last season. We'll see how he fits into our system. But a lot of Vancouver fans think that the change can (obviously this is a hit or miss) do good for Naslund. Regardless of what people think of him compared to Jagr, there is no arguing that he is a solid offensive force. I feel he just couldn't click with the Sedins and has a better chance with the Rangers. Almost every single Canuck fan believes it to be a solid pick-up and I'll take their word for it.

He couldn't "click" with them in the few games he was with them....He'll put up better numbers in NY