December 2 - Vancouver, BC GM Place

December 4 - Calgary, AB Pengrowth Saddledome

December 7 - Edmonton, AB Rexall Place

December 12 - Ontario, CA Citizens Bank Arena

December 13 - Fresno, CA Save Mart Center

December 15 - San Diego, CA Cox Arena

December 17 - Los Angeles, CA The Forum

December 20 - Oakland, CA Oracle Arena

Hmmm.... disapointed to see no Winnipeg in there with the Calgary and Edmonton dates....hopefully they do a stop later in the tour. :rock:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It had some good parts and some bad. Overall not a bad song, much better than Cyanide. The only thing is that certain parts feel out of place and just something a middle school band could write. This is promising to be better than St.Anger though.

I could take a dump and it would be better than St. Anger.

Eh. After listening to the new songs, the music sounds somewhat better than St. Anger, but IMHO James needs to start drinking again. He seems to has lost the edge and anger in his vocals.

You realize that the only reason he sounds different is because he's singing in standard tuning, right? How could you possibly wish upon a former alcoholic to start drinking again because you (wrongly) believe that he'd sound better?

Eh. After listening to the new songs, the music sounds somewhat better than St. Anger, but IMHO James needs to start drinking again. He seems to has lost the edge and anger in his vocals.

The guy has a family now, I don't think becoming an alcoholic again is the best thing for him at this point.

You realize that the only reason he sounds different is because he's singing in standard tuning, right? How could you possibly wish upon a former alcoholic to start drinking again because you (wrongly) believe that he'd sound better?

I heard a guy who didn't like the Chili Peppers last album say he wished Frusciante would get addicted to heroine again because he was better then.

As for the Hetfield voice, people change. He isn't a 20-something kid anymore. Just like your musical taste changes throughout your life, the musical tastes of bands change. How hard can a 40 somethin year old millionaire really rock?

Standard tuning really shouldnt change your voice that much. I dont really think that it's drinking that would make him sing better. Basically, with his raspy tone, 20 years later you can't expect him to be able to sing nearly as well.

Did the lead guitar on the song annoy anyone as much as it annoyed me? The tone was really what got to me, especially when he turned the overdrive on. Overall its not a bad song, its just good either. The drums were really loud once again, I don't think Lars gets the hint that he's too loud and not really talented.

Standard tuning really shouldnt change your voice that much. I dont really think that it's drinking that would make him sing better. Basically, with his raspy tone, 20 years later you can't expect him to be able to sing nearly as well.

Did the lead guitar on the song annoy anyone as much as it annoyed me? The tone was really what got to me, especially when he turned the overdrive on. Overall its not a bad song, its just good either. The drums were really loud once again, I don't think Lars gets the hint that he's too loud and not really talented.

Yeah, good lord, the mix was awful. hopefully that wasn't the album version.

And in James' case, it does make a difference. There was no way for him to use his 'metal voice' on the verses, it was too high for him.

So will there be an excuse for everything?

The general consensus seems to be that Metallica fans love the song, non-Metallica fans or former Metallica fans don't really care for it either way. There's no need for excuses - we've heard two songs so far, and the fans have enjoyed them. It's not going to be a make or break album - if people have stuck around by this point, they obviously accept Metallica for what they are now, and people who have given up have no real reason to come back.

I thought the sarcasm would bleed through my statement, guess not. I apologize.

I must be in the minority but I actually like his voice on the new song. It's a lot different because of his age as you said, but overall I think it fits in fine. I actually liked the guitar throughout the song, but I agree with you, the drums were way too loud. Whoever did the mixing really messed it up though.

I like his voice now more than it was before honestly. The main thing that confuses me is that his tone changed, I know more than enough about music to know how tuning will change your voice, but the only reason his tone changed is because of his age I think. He really does have good range and his voice is pretty versatile but he hasn't really used much of the growl he used on earlier albums unless he forces it more or less.

Almost everything (maybe everything) Metallica wrote until the Black Album was in standard tuning. He sings differently than he used to. Even if they went flat one half-step, like alot of the Load era stuff, it just saves you one note.

The other song from this album that was put out is flat a half step. But, that's live, so it might be in standard tuning on the CD.

I must be in the minority but I actually like his voice on the new song. It's a lot different because of his age as you said, but overall I think it fits in fine. I actually liked the guitar throughout the song, but I agree with you, the drums were way too loud. Whoever did the mixing really messed it up though.

Lars probably jacked up the volume on the drum track when no one was looking. Or whined like a child till he got his way. I lost a lot of respect for him when I watched Some Kind of Monster.

Quick Tour Update

8/27/2008

[ back ]

A few additions . . .

Just wanted to let you know that we're going to extend our stay in a few cities along the way in North America . . . no new stops, just a couple of additions:

December 18 - Los Angeles, The Forum

January 27 - Chicago, Allstate Arena

February 1 - Newark, Prudential Center

Check back later this week for ticketing info!

WOOO ANOTHER NEWARK SHOW!!

Metallica pretty much lost me after the Black album (the last one even worth talking about as far as I'm concerned). I still listen to the early stuff quite a bit (everything before the Black album, although I don't hate that one)...amazing how after over 20 years, Master of Puppets is still just as mind-blowing now as it was the first time I listened to it on vinyl. Who here has seen them live? I saw them on the Damaged Justice Tour (at CAA and Allentown fairgrounds) and with Faith No More and Guns 'n Roses (they came on second...this was when G 'N R was at their pretentious worst, insisting that they go on at midnight. Metallica whipped the crowd into a complete frenzy...within ten minutes of GNR taking the stage, everyone was sitting back down). I also sat them supporting the Black album at the Nassau Coliseum. I don't know how they are now, but back then they were an incredible live act...so much energy and fury.