Devils send Salmela down, recall Leach

titans04

I don't like the move, but with Lowell having 4 games in 5 days, versus the two games he'd get here, it's possible it's simply more of a learning experience for Anssi - I think he'll be back soon.

By the way this seems to say that Brian Rolston will definitely play Thursday. EDIT: I guess TG had the same thought.

Edited by Triumph

Per TG:

The Devils sent rookie defenseman Anssi Salmela down to Lowell today and recalled defenseman Jay Leach from their AHL affiliate.

It looks like Sutter is going with size for Thursday night's game vs. Philadelphia. leach is a monster and Sutter figures he would be better to have than Salmela vs. Philadelphia. That is the only reason I can think of this move. :noclue: Andy Greene is real close to returning to the line up could be another reason for Salmela being sent back to Lowell.

It looks like Sutter is going with size for Thursday night's game vs. Philadelphia. leach is a monster and Sutter figures he would be better to have than Salmela vs. Philadelphia. That is the only reason I can think of this move. :noclue: Andy Greene is real close to returning to the line up could be another reason for Salmela being sent back to Lowell.

Salmela BETTER than Leach.

Salmela helps our weak PP.

I guess Sutter likes 4th line, one dimensional players like Brookbank and Leach... :rolleyes:

Guess Andy Greene is on the way back too???

But... wow... I think I just said something about this 15 seconds ago :P

I think Andy Greene is a couple weeks away from returning, unless he is surprising healing quick.

I don't like the move, but with Lowell having 4 games in 5 days, versus the two games he'd get here, it's possible it's simply more of a learning experience for Anssi - I think he'll be back soon.

By the way this seems to say that Brian Rolston will definitely play Thursday. EDIT: I guess TG had the same thought.

Hope you're right

I'm surprised by the move, I thought Salmela was getting more comfortable every game that passed. I hope he gets called up soon and they are doing this just so he can log big minutes in Lowell.

Coach really does make some unexpected personnel decisions sometimes.

I think Sutter is looking at it this way. Salmela's ice time is going to go down with Rolston back so his value to the team is now almost solely his 5 on 5 play. His weakest time as a defenseman is against teams that play physical and forecheck heavily. There is a decent probability that Sutter would have to bench Salmela against the Flyers due to being ineffective or Salmela can play top minutes in Lowell for a few games. Leach will be able to better withstand a heavy and physical forecheck at even strength. So for those reasons it makes sense to play Leach over Salmela against the Flyers and by sending Salmela down you can let him log some heavy minutes in Lowell, which is helpful since he still isn't fully adjusted to the rink size.

I agree fully agree with posters who feel that Samela is sent down to keep him on the ice. With the return of Rolston Anssi's role will be limited at best playing few minutes and you can see concern that his skills will diminish. On the other hand he will return. Sutter likes the kid and he has shown that he will be a solid member of the Devils team once the cobwebs get shaken out. It would be great to have some additional bodies that can fire the puck as your point man and he sems to like either side on the pp. Screw the raggots and their a$$hole fans.

NOT happy about this move at ALL.

If Sutter wants to go for size for the Philly game then fine, Sal better be called up 10 seconds after the final buzzer tomorrow night.

I've been sticking up for Sutter this season... not so much now.

Me neither but the reasoning is justified.

Salmela can log 20 minutes a game in lowell, more than he will get here right now. and only get better. this give leach more NHL experience, and as for brookbank, well yea he still sucks... IMO.

I think Sutter is looking at it this way. Salmela's ice time is going to go down with Rolston back so his value to the team is now almost solely his 5 on 5 play. His weakest time as a defenseman is against teams that play physical and forecheck heavily. There is a decent probability that Sutter would have to bench Salmela against the Flyers due to being ineffective or Salmela can play top minutes in Lowell for a few games. Leach will be able to better withstand a heavy and physical forecheck at even strength. So for those reasons it makes sense to play Leach over Salmela against the Flyers and by sending Salmela down you can let him log some heavy minutes in Lowell, which is helpful since he still isn't fully adjusted to the rink size.

Why not use Rolston AND Samela, they both have tremendously inaccurate hard slapshots, perfect for the point. Seems like unnecessary gimping of the team.

Why not use Rolston AND Samela, they both have tremendously inaccurate hard slapshots, perfect for the point. Seems like unnecessary gimping of the team.

Because there isn't enough room. Langs is a right handed shot so gets to stay by default but he also brings a hard slapshot. Rolston, Martin, and Oduya are all left handed and sit higher on the depth chart for the points than Salmela.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. Wrong! You can't send down Salmela! Jesus Christ!

I HATE THIS I HATE THIS I HATE THIS.

LANGS HAS A TERRIBLE SHOT.

TG says it's either because of the logjam at point or because Slamela and Mottau kept getting trapped in their own zone... NO sh!t you paired SALMELA with MOTTAU fvcking idiot.

Edited by Cowutopia

How many power play points would you say Salmela has? He's spent 15 games here, most of which are on the first unit of the Devils' power play, he averages 3:48 minutes per game on the PP, so that's around 55 minutes of power play time.

Salmela has no points on the power play. None. Now that's a lot of bad luck, but I've also noticed that Salmela is willing to take shots from way out that have little chance of going in - I suspect he is used to shooting like that in Finland where the goalies are worse.

I think Salmela can be a major asset - but he has to improve his play in his own zone, as well as on the power play. He takes too many risks in his own end and can be forechecked off the puck.

Edited by Triumph