You make the call: Is the spinarama a fair shootout move?

SC Devs Fan

Rolston's slapshot has a history of working on NHL goalies in past shootouts. Anyone who was expecting him to do something different just has not seen him go in shootouts before.

Same with Chara and a few others. Its their move. If Rolston had scored that, he'd be a hero. He's got a rocket of a shot... why not use it?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rolston has a great shot, i'd hate to see him not use his strength.

Hey, if he's used it before with some success, then I stand corrected. It doesn't seem like a high percentage play because you have to place that baby perfectly to score. And I know even Rolston can't use the slapper EVERY time in a shootout.

Hey, if he's used it before with some success, then I stand corrected. It doesn't seem like a high percentage play because you have to place that baby perfectly to score. And I know even Rolston can't use the slapper EVERY time in a shootout.

Yea the first few times I saw him do it I was like what is he thinking, but then he just kept scoring on them so whatever, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

We lost therefore it is illegal.

agreed if was Parise or Elias that made that move, we are be here saying how awesome they are.

I really don't like the idea of the spin around in a Shoot-out but since is in the book, we have to cope with.

Anyway we get tehm back at the finals.

If Rolston scored on this shot everyone would've said it was a great choice.

Is there something wrong with that? A shootout is purely result based. If Rolston is able to pull something like that off, then it would be a great idea. But if he wasn't, perhaps he should have tried something that would've given him a better chance to score.

It's like gambling in poker. If you bluff and people buy it, it was a great move. If they call you, you're fvcked and you look like an idiot. You have to figure out which will yield the best result.

Is there something wrong with that? A shootout is purely result based. If Rolston is able to pull something like that off, then it would be a great idea. But if he wasn't, perhaps he should have tried something that would've given him a better chance to score.

It's like gambling in poker. If you bluff and people buy it, it was a great move. If they call you, you're fvcked and you look like an idiot. You have to figure out which will yield the best result.

In that case, what the hell was Parise thinking? He should have done something else.

Parise scores almost all the time on that fake forehand, backhand top shelf shot. Should we all crucify him for trying that next time he does so and fails? No, because it has been very effective in the past. Rolston's slapshot has worked frequently in the past, so why are we picking on him? Just because it is fashionable to pick on him this year like it was with Zubrus/Zajac last year and Gomez the year before?

No sir. Or at least not myself.. I just dont like it.. I said he would do that and just knew he would miss right when they announced him.. I think Tosk expected it.

Exactly lol, that's why you have to (baseball term here) throw a changeup.

I agree with what unknown poster has said about Rolston's choice of using a slapper as 4th shooter..........Dumb, with the game on the line and Rolston being notorious for his slapshot, he should have deked, aka done something other than his usual slapshot.

Like SJ said, if he was first to shoot, sure, no problem using the slapper, if he misses there are at least two shooters after him. But to use a notorious shot with the game on the line, not smart.

PS, Gionta shoulda been 4th shooter.

Exactly lol, that's why you have to (baseball term here) throw a changeup.

I agree with what unknown poster has said about Rolston's choice of using a slapper as 4th shooter..........Dumb, with the game on the line and Rolston being notorious for his slapshot, he should have deked, aka done something other than his usual slapshot.

Like SJ said, if he was first to shoot, sure, no problem using the slapper, if he misses there are at least two shooters after him. But to use a notorious shot with the game on the line, not smart.

With the game on the line, why would you want him to do something other than what has worked for him before? Who cares if he's notorious for it, it's not like the goalie made a save, didn't the shot just go wide?

I guarantee if he deked and didn't score people would be complaining that he didn't just take a slapshot like he normally does since that is his strength.

Do you think goalies don't expect Parise to do that move he always does? Yet he still scores seemingly every time he uses it.

Actually, Parise has changed it up a bit nowadays; he either does his backhand flip or the fake backhand flip-deke to forehand move.. but I see your point.. However I'd say a goalie has a better chance at stopping a slapshot he knows is coming on compared to a deke that he knows is coming.

Edited by nmigliore

Actually, Parise has changed it up a bit nowadays; he either does his backhand flip or the fake backhand flip-deke to forehand move.. but I see your point.. However I'd say a goalie has a better chance at stopping a slapshot he knows is coming on compared to a deke that he knows is coming.

Perhaps, but I'd still trust a Rolston slapshot over a Rolston deke.

I think rebounds should be allowed. If you take a shot and it rebounds right to you, I think it should be allowed to take another hack at it. Of course there has to be a strict line there, as I wouldn't agree with someone going all the way across the ice to pick up a rebound and shoot again.

I think rebounds should be allowed. If you take a shot and it rebounds right to you, I think it should be allowed to take another hack at it. Of course there has to be a strict line there, as I wouldn't agree with someone going all the way across the ice to pick up a rebound and shoot again.

Umm....NO

this league hates the goalies enough as it is, and this competition is a joke enough thanks :P

Umm....NO

this league hates the goalies enough as it is, and this competition is a joke enough thanks :P

Maybe instead of the shootouts, we could do that target-shooting thing they have at the all-star game. They could put players faces on the targets ... it could be a marketing thing, too.

Or they could just put Bettman's face on the targets.

Anyone like this idea?