New NHL all star events announced and thoughts on reserve list

Chimaira_Devil_#9

New Events:

LINK

Trick shots, sophomores vs. rookies and breakaways galore highlight the 2009 Honda/NHL All-Star SuperSkills Competition Tuesday, 01.06.2009 / 12:20 PM / 2009

NHL All-Star Game NHL.comNEW YORK -- The game's most dazzling shootout artists will attempt to wow the voting public in the Scotiabank NHL Fan Fav Breakaway Challenge and the classes of 2007-08 and 2008-09 will battle for youthful supremacy when NHL All-Star Weekend gets underway with the 2009 Honda/NHL All-Star SuperSkills Competition Saturday night, Jan. 24, at Montreal's Bell Centre.

The realigned NHL YoungStars Game presented by Upper Deck and the fan-judged Scotiabank NHL Fan Fav Breakaway Challenge will join SuperSkills mainstays such as the Bridgestone NHL Fastest Skater, McDonald's NHL Accuracy Shooting and Cisco NHL Hardest Shot competitions to determine the League's best in various disciplines. The evening will culminate with the best hockey players in the world doing what they've done to end practices ever since shortly after their parents first tied their skates: engage in an elimination shootout contest that won't end until there's only one man left unstopped.

This is going to be a tough year for goalies i hope the Queen makes it onto the roster :evil:

Clemmer getting Recognition:

LINK

Ready for a Super Show Tuesday, 01.06.2009 / 1:41 PM / 2009 NHL All-Star Game Blog By NHL.com Staff

It'll be interesting to see if New Jersey's Scott Clemmensen receives any recognition. After all, he has filled in nicely for the League's best in Martin Brodeur. In 23 appearances, Clemmensen is 15-6-1 with a 2.21 GAA and .924 save percentage.

:doh1::doh1::doh1::doh1:

If Clemmer actually makes it and Parise and Elias fall short it will be a crime!!

At this point I hope he doesn't make it because he needs the weekend off since he'll play every damn game until then....

(somehow saying that... seems... awfully... familiar... somehow :P)

At this point I hope he doesn't make it because he needs the weekend off since he'll play every damn game until then....

(somehow saying that... seems... awfully... familiar... somehow :P)

It's almost as if Sutter should scratch Weekes and use the extra roster spot. Can the poor guy get a start on the 6 game road trip, 5 of which are in the West?!?

That being said, it'd be great to see Clemmer somehow make the All-Star Game. It would be a nice story for the NHL to talk about in between the 1 or 2 or 27 features on Sid.

I would like to see Clemmensen, Parise and Elias make the ASG. Parise and Elias for sure.

You will be lucky to get one let alone 3.

I can harldy see Cemmer getting in, there are 3 goalie slots Price has one, no one in there right mind would say Clemmer has been better than Tim Thomas so theres two, and anyone of Fernandez, Lundquivst and Anderson have been better than Clemmer this year.

IMO Parise is our only hope, and he isnt even getting enough of a mention.

You will be lucky to get one let alone 3.

I can harldy see Cemmer getting in, there are 3 goalie slots Price has one, no one in there right mind would say Clemmer has been better than Tim Thomas so theres two, and anyone of Fernandez, Lundquivst and Anderson have been better than Clemmer this year.

IMO Parise is our only hope, and he isnt even getting enough of a mention.

The unofficial rule still exists requiring that one person from each team be named an all-star. Last year, NJ and COL were left out because their representatives were unwilling/unable to play. There is no question that at least one Devil will be named when reserves are announced tomorrow. In other words, Zach Parise will be an all-star. The question is whether or not he will be flying to Montreal with company.

Edited by BCdevil

Luongo was just named to the Western team so look for the Canucks to be left without an all-star come game time. I can only assume that he was named partially because of his ties to Montreal (plus it allows the NHL to say that it named a Canuck) because it certainly wasn't his stats. I will be shocked if Marty gets the same honor.

The new events sound cool. I like that they are moving away from the "serious" game veil (not that an All-Star game is ever really serious) to more of a carnival atmosphere.

Based on the article, it seems like there are no new events, the only things changing are:

-the trick shot shootout thing is voted on by fans instead of celebrity judges, and they have one minute instead of three attempts or whatever it was last year

-YoungStars game is 3 on 3 and it's sophomores vs. rookies

-seems like they are going back to the old version of the fastest skater event (THANK YOU!)

Anyone see the West All-Star Team? Having a representative from every team is the big joke. And I know some of you will say the game is always a joke, but maybe it would be less so if we didn't have a team like the West has this year, and which the East will probably have tomorrow. No one really watches, so who cares if a few teams are left out. Teams like LA, St Louis and Dallas don't deserve to have a player, let alone one less player than the Wings and Sharks.

Milan Hejduk, Dustin Brown, Mike Modano, Keith Tkachuk are on pace for 50-60 point seasons. They should not be on the team. Brian Ralaski, a defenseman, has 31 points, which is more than all of thse guys deserves to be there. Same with Marleau, Hossa, and Zetterberg.

Why is Mike Modano and is 26 points on this team? They can't even get the right guy on a sh!tty team. Brad Richards has 34 points at least.

The All-Star game is a joke, but teams like this really make it a joke. Why can't we just get the best players in the league in one place? Tomorrow we'll find out which Senator, and Ranger knocks off some deserving player from the East.

Edited by devilsrule33

the goal of the all-star game is to get more people watching. i don't think i watched the all-star game last year in part because brodeur wasn't playing.

and of course there's the slight problem of a rising tide lifting all boats on teams like the red wings, so unconsciously the league is acknowledging that good players stuck on bad teams often don't produce.

tkachuk and modano have more star power than brad boyes and brad richards.

Edited by Triumph

Luongo was just named to the Western team so look for the Canucks to be left without an all-star come game time. I can only assume that he was named partially because of his ties to Montreal (plus it allows the NHL to say that it named a Canuck) because it certainly wasn't his stats. I will be shocked if Marty gets the same honor.

I'm pretty sure Luongo is going to return sooner than Brodeur and he actually has a shot at making it in time for the All-Star Game... Then again, I don't really follow the West, so I might be wrong. :noclue:

Anyway, giving Brodeur a spot seems pointless, he's a lock NOT to be ready to play, so they would have to replace him with some other goalie right after announcing him a goalie for the East. If he was scheduled to come back in mid-January, I'm pretty sure the league would have given him a spot.

I think Parise is a lock. Elias has the exact same amount of points and deserves to make it, I hope he will. Also, I don't expect Clemmensen to make it, yeah, he's been great for us, but there are better, more established goalies in the conference.

I'm pretty sure Luongo is going to return sooner than Brodeur and he actually has a shot at making it in time for the All-Star Game... Then again, I don't really follow the West, so I might be wrong. :noclue:

Anyway, giving Brodeur a spot seems pointless, he's a lock NOT to be ready to play, so they would have to replace him with some other goalie right after announcing him a goalie for the East. If he was scheduled to come back in mid-January, I'm pretty sure the league would have given him a spot.

I think Parise is a lock. Elias has the exact same amount of points and deserves to make it, I hope he will. Also, I don't expect Clemmensen to make it, yeah, he's been great for us, but there are better, more established goalies in the conference.

My point was actually that Luongo has zero chance of playing in the ASG and the league knows it (even if he does return to the Canucks by then, he will not play in Montreal). The league named him to the team for 3 reasons (in order of importance):

1) So that the NHL can claim that the Canucks have a representative in the game. I will be shocked if another Canuck is named as an injury replacement

2) Name value. Canadians love Luongo and some casual fans know the name.

3) The game is in Montreal, Luongo's hometown, and it was a nice way to include him. This is where my Brodeur reference comes in. They will not name Marty just because he is from Montreal and people know his name, nor should they. I was just saying that if they wasted the time to name Luongo, why not go to the absurd next step and name a goalie who has played ten games and won't be back on the ice for about 2 months.

Edited by BCdevil

The NHL knows Luongo is injured and will not make the ASG. Nabakov or Steve Mason from Columbus should be there in his place for sure. Suprised that Nabakov is not in the ASG. Then again this years ASG is a joke when you don't have the best player in the NHL and the World not in the ASG in Alexander Ovechkin.

If Brodeur gets in great, but he is another injured and will not play in the ASG. I would like to see Florida's Craig Anderson make the ASG as he deserves it.

Edited by SatansDevils

Anyone see the West All-Star Team? Having a representative from every team is the big joke. And I know some of you will say the game is always a joke, but maybe it would be less so if we didn't have a team like the West has this year, and which the East will probably have tomorrow. No one really watches, so who cares if a few teams are left out. Teams like LA, St Louis and Dallas don't deserve to have a player, let alone one less player than the Wings and Sharks.

Milan Hejduk, Dustin Brown, Mike Modano, Keith Tkachuk are on pace for 50-60 point seasons. They should not be on the team. Brian Ralaski, a defenseman, has 31 points, which is more than all of thse guys deserves to be there. Same with Marleau, Hossa, and Zetterberg.

Why is Mike Modano and is 26 points on this team? They can't even get the right guy on a sh!tty team. Brad Richards has 34 points at least.

The All-Star game is a joke, but teams like this really make it a joke. Why can't we just get the best players in the league in one place? Tomorrow we'll find out which Senator, and Ranger knocks off some deserving player from the East.

I agree this makes the game a joke, but the players on the good teams are probably happy for a rest.

I'm not sure why everyone here is anxious to see Devil players make this team?

Who really cares...the less players the better...the less chance of an injury.

I can't look at it that way, I don't see preseason games or practice or scrimmage or the Olympics as anything that should be avoided even though all do theoretically provide a risk for injury. If a guy's gonna get hurt in one exhibition in the middle of an 82-game season plus playoffs then a guy's gonna get hurt regardless. Besides, with the way the All-Star game is only the goalies really get strained, and mainly in the skills competition since all only play a period.

I don't watch the All-Star game much, a part of the reason why is Devils aren't usually in it. If Zach's in it I'll be more likely to watch, if Clem's in it I'm definitely watching. That's part of the reason why I wouldn't mind seeing a Devil or two in the AS game, of course the other part is just the recognition. We all want our players to get recognized for the good seasons they're having and an ASG appearance provides that.

And I personally don't mind having one player from every team but if that's the case then you really need to expand the rosters. It's hard to have an ASG roster with what, 21 active players if you have to select one player each from 15 teams, I know technically each team is either supposed to have one player in either the AS game or the YoungStars game and that's fine too.

Edited by Hasan4978

The NHL knows Luongo is injured and will not make the ASG. Nabakov or Steve Mason from Columbus should be there in his place for sure. Suprised that Nabakov is not in the ASG. Then again this years ASG is a joke when you don't have the best player in the NHL and the World not in the ASG in Alexander Ovechkin.

I too find it hard to believe Nabokov didn't make it.

• 2 weeks later...

Crosby pulls out and is replaced by St Louis. I wonder if they asked Elias, Krejci, Backstrom, Richards, or Gagne before chosing a second Lightning player.

I am guessing they didn't. The only way I see this happening is that the rest of the players went home or on vacation and St Louis was on his way home to Quebec perhaps. It is possible.