You Make the Call: Does Devils' Clemmensen need a rest?

SC Devs Fan

They have their own running argument... thought we might do it here

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2009/01...oes_devils.html

The Devils almost stole Tuesday night's game against Carolina, but the fact is, they fell behind 3-0 en route to a 3-2 loss.

Goalie Scott Clemmensen started his 12th straight game Tuesday night, and yielded three goals for the second straight game. Obviously he's come up big on the whole this season, but do you think the starting minutes are starting to catch up to him or are you satisfied? Do you think the Devils need to get Kevin Weekes more ice time to Clemmensen fresh?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would rest Clemmy a game or two here and there. There isn't much difference between Clemmy and Weekes. I believe Weekes is the better goalie but the team has played better for Clemmy and I can understand putting the goalie out there that the team feels more comfortable with, it seems.

Has Clemmer ever played this many games before? Good as he's been, he should be playing something like 8 of 10 games, not 12 in a row. We need him healthy and Weekes sharp til we get Marty back.

FOR GOD SAKE FREE THE WEEKES

With the stretch we have it has to happen.

Clemmer is still playing well but a bit of rest isnt going to hurt.

I still cant believe Clemmers GAA is 2.25 :blink:

Still the Devils have to score more than 3 goals to get him a win.

:rant: HEY REBOUND ITS ABOUT TIME YOU GAVE SOMETHING BACK AND BAILED THE FORWARDS OUT!!!! :rant:

Devils have a 6-game road trip where 3-games are in the WC time zone and three more games, two vs. WC teams and the NYI. There are two back to back games on this trip as well. If the Devils are going to rest Clemmensen and start Weekes, IMO it should definitely be on the back to back games and to the weakers teams. If I was Sutter I would do the following with the goalies. There will be plenty of rest in between games for Clemmensen on this road trip.

Sat @ LA - start Weekes

Sun @ Anaheim - start Clemmensen

Tues @ Vancouver - start Clemmensen

Fri @ Columbus - start Clemmensen

Sat @ NYI - start Weekes

Mon @ Nashville - start Clemmensen

Weekes should be able to win those games vs. the weaker teams. Clemmensen to play against the better teams.

Atlanta isn't a good team, but Clemmer has been on a roll. I wouldn't mind if Weeksie gets a shot tonight. Heck as long as we keep posting Ws on a regular basis I really don't care who is in net. :clap:

Edited by britoon

He's let in a few clunkers in the last couple of games. I dont think a rest could hurt. He's never had this kind of run before. Not everybody has Marty's demeaner. I think pressure could build up. We cant leave Weeks on the bench forever.

There is no way in HELL I want to see Kevin Weekes lose a game to the LA Kings at Staples this Sat.

MAke no mistake, this isn't the pushover Kings team of old. This team is VERY capable of beating us and Erik Ersberg is a better goalie than either Weekes or Clemmer.

The Kings game will not be a throwaway.

Start Weekes against ATL.

There is no way in HELL I want to see Kevin Weekes lose a game to the LA Kings at Staples this Sat.

MAke no mistake, this isn't the pushover Kings team of old. This team is VERY capable of beating us and Erik Ersberg is a better goalie than either Weekes or Clemmer.

The Kings game will not be a throwaway.

Start Weekes against ATL.

Ersberg is a good goalie and he is just coming back from his groin injury and lost a tough game to Anaheim last night. He played very well and could have won that game. I agree Los Angeles are no pushover anymore, BUT there is a back to back game on the road in the WC vs. LA and then Anaheim. Clemmensen has played back to back games before this season, but I think Weekes can get ( a win) the job done vs. LA. If not then he does not belong on this Devils team if he cannot get a win over a .500 or less team right now in LA. I highly doubt we will ever see Weekes play in Anaheim on Sunday. That would definitely be a LOSS for the Devils.

I don't see Weekes playing against Atlanta tomorrow night. Atlanta has a capable offense to score goals, therefore I think we will see Clemmensen tomorrow night vs. Atlanta, plus to get him back in right after a tough loss last night in Carolina.

Edited by SatansDevils

Ersberg is a good goalie and he is just coming back from his groin injury and lost a tough game to Anaheim last night. He played very well and could have won that game. I agree Los Angeles are no pushover anymore, BUT there is a back to back game on the road in the WC vs. LA and then Anaheim. Clemmensen has played back to back games before this season, but I think Weekes can get ( a win) the job done vs. LA. If not then he does not belong on this Devils team if he cannot get a win over a .500 or less team right now in LA. I highly doubt we will ever see Weekes play in Anaheim on Sunday. That would definitely be a LOSS for the Devils.

I don't see Weekes playing against Atlanta tomorrow night. Atlanta has a capable offense to score goals, therefore I think we will see Clemmensen tomorrow night vs. Atlanta, plus to get him back in right after a tough loss last night in Carolina.

I agree Weekes should play against LA and save Clemmer for the ducks.

I believe that clemmer is playing fine. Last night a fluke second goal went of the skate of paul martin. So reall he gave up 2 goals. which is good (remember the devils are martyless). I read a blog (fire and ice) today and it seemed the players know that they have not played their level in the past 5 games and guess what weve won three of them. They did some 1 on 1 battle work and 5 on 5 play. I think the game tomorrow night will be a good game to play to get ready for this long road trip. On the other hand can anybody tell me how to put pictures under my posts. thanks alot and lets go devils!!!

Edited by rockcreature66630

Personally, I have never understood the need for "rest". At most, these players are getting 4 games in a week, but usually 3. Why is it that skaters are expected to play everyday, taking hits, skating up and down the ice, yet a goalie, who's MAJORITY of the time is actionless, cannot. Does not make sense to me.

They don't practice eveyday, and when they do, I would imagine that it is not a SUPER grueling affair EVERY time. As a former college basketball player and college basketball coach, the everyday running/cutting/pushing/holding, etc. would appear to take its toll MUCH more than on a goalie. I expected myself and my players to be at every practice/game, with only Sundays off.

I may just be ignorant to the hockey protocol, since I never played hockey growing up. Ignorant is okay, and I AM ignorant to many things. This post is much more inquisitive as to WHY it is that goalies need games off. About 85% of our practices are what I would consider "full contact".

Any insights would be appreciated. And, I do understand 82 games, etc.. But needing games off after only 8 or 10 appearances is baffling.

Mike Martin

KC Devil

Edited by KC Devil

Personally, I have never understood the need for "rest". At most, these players are getting 4 games in a week, but usually 3. Why is it that skaters are expected to play everyday, taking hits, skating up and down the ice, yet a goalie, who's MAJORITY of the time is actionless, cannot. Does not make sense to me.

They don't practice eveyday, and when they do, I would imagine that it is not a SUPER grueling affair EVERY time. As a former college basketball player and college basketball coach, the everyday running/cutting/pushing/holding, etc. would appear to take its toll MUCH more than on a goalie. I expected myself and my players to be at every practice/game, with only Sundays off.

I may just be ignorant to the hockey protocol, since I never played hockey growing up. Ignorant is okay, and I AM ignorant to many things. This post is much more inquisitive as to WHY it is that goalies need games off. About 85% of our practices are what I would consider "full contact".

Any insights would be appreciated. And, I do understand 82 games, etc.. But needing games off after only 8 or 10 appearances is baffling.

Mike Martin

KC Devil

It's okay to not understand a LOT about hockey. No one expects you too and that's cool. I play roller hockey at my school and I played a few games in goal last semester. I plan to make it every game next semester because It seems I have a talent for it (maybe it's from many years of watching Marty in net who knows.) Coming a little bit from personal experience and some from general knowledge about hockey, the goalie position is a lot more mental than any other position on the ice. I think it can probably get extremely tiring just from the mental game, and that might cause a goalie to need a rest. Most hockey players know that scoring the first goal gives the team a huge edge because after that the goalie has a chance to doubt himself. THAT is a huge advantage. Also always looking for ways to cut down the angle and trying to think of what the shooter will do next and all that also plays a large role in goaltending. It's certainly not an easy position to play (not that you said it was, I'm just re-iterating that fact.)

I say, let Clemmer rest. It might do Clemmer some good to get Weeksie back on the ice a little bit. Like it was said before he's no Marty, but he is doing a FANTASTIC job! Let the man rest.

I agree Weekes should play against LA and save Clemmer for the ducks.

I disagree for the selfish reason that I don't want to watch Kevin Weekes flop around for the big $$$ I paid for my first row bench tickets!!! :argh: