Sutter's (lack of) Line Changes

TomsRiverDevil

Many of you got on Sutter last year for constantly switching lines, claiming that no chemistry was being developed. I think that last year should be remembered as a building year. Even though no particular line stood out and produced, I think that all of the line switches resulted in them gaining chemistry as a WHOLE team.

After Sutter and Lou realized that they "didn't have the horses" to play in Sutter's new NHL style (at least new to this franchise), they may have switched to a 2 year plan. Work out any kinks last year, and the dividends will pay off this year.

The team started out great, but then Brodeur went down. As with many of you, I feel like this was a blessing in disguise. The team was forced to learn how to score.

After a few initial switches, the lines have stayed relatively the same barring injuries. I don't believe that Sutter didn't know how to do this last year, he just didn't want to because he was planning for this year... after some new players joined the squad.

Overall, I feel that this team can and will successfully compete with anybody in the playoffs. For me the defining game this year was against the Bruins. It was a really close game, that was determined by a few bounces. That had a playoff atmosphere, and I think if it was a long series we may be able to pull out on top...especially with #30 in net.

These are just some of general thoughts during the All-Star Break (go Parise!)

What do you guys think? :koolaid:

eh...its not like we beefed up in the offseason...I just think Sutter realized that chemistry is a huge factor in the big leagues and discounting it at a whim to switch lines like underwear doesn't pay off...we've still improved at the forecheck and have become more aggressively offensively which I think , as you mentioned plays into Marty's absence. Two things hold importance though, we still aren't the most talented team in the East and we are vastly overachieving...so I do think that has a lot to do with how Sutter is managing the team...he's given in a little and the players have played harder because of it.

In short, if we keep it up and Marty comes back in Marty form then we could do some damage in the post season, Sutter (and Lou) have to be given a hell of a lot of credit...Sutter should at least get a look for coach of the year given the circumstances but I doubt that will happen...

Sutter is no doubt, if the season ended today, a top 3 candidate for the Jack Adams with Claude Julien and Todd McLellan rounding out the list. I think Julien wins that one. But the season isn't over... IIRC, there were talks about Sutter being in contention for it last year, til we limped into the playoffs.

Lou's offseason pickups and Rolston's early injury have a lot to do with the consistency of the lines. The first few weeks of the season were spent juggling every line except Parise-Zajac-Langs. But as soon as Rolston went down, Sutter no longer had to worry about finding a place for him to fit. Zubrus stepped up (remember he started the season on the fourth line with Holik and Rupp) and found instant chemistry with Elias and Gio. With those top two lines secured, the rest was easy. Finding homes for six forwards is easier than finding homes for 12.

And the defense is a year better

Very, very true. Oduya looks great, Salvador has adjusted, Mottau looks competent and Jay Leach has been solid in his limited duty. White and Martin are always solid, but Whitey looks like he has really overcome the vision issue and looks 100x more compfortable with the puck.

Sutter is no doubt, if the season ended today, a top 3 candidate for the Jack Adams with Claude Julien and Todd McLellan rounding out the list. I think Julien wins that one. But the season isn't over... IIRC, there were talks about Sutter being in contention for it last year, til we limped into the playoffs.

Jack Adams is determined after the regular season, it doesn't take playoffs into account.

And yes, I was really glad to see Sutter developing the lines much more consistently this year. He was given the right chips by Lou and really had the opportunity to show what he can do in the absence of Brodeur. I still feel the most amazing part of Sutter's work this year has been his ability to keep the D as consistent as they've been. I mean, yes, you swap Salvador and Vishnevski for Salvador and it improves, but look at what he's done with Oduya in two years. And even Colin White and Andy Greene are playing much better than last year.

the biggest difference between this year and last are that zajac and elias are playing about as well as you could expect whereas last year they very much did not.

their constant play has made it easy for sutter to keep the lines together.

I agree with addition of Zubrus. It's also a new system and he doesn't have to match up the checking line againt opponent's scoring line. It's opened up alot more opportunities.

It's amazing the lines found chemistry in like 2 or 3 games this season but last year 10 games together wouldn't be enough. :rolleyes:

Sutter changing the lines had nothing to do with chemistry, it came from lack of production. Keeping lines together that don't work doesn't win any hockey games. In fact nobody cares about chemistry, we all just care about production. The lines haven't been changed this year because they've basically produced all season. The only changes we have seen have all been due to lack of production.

The lines are producing now so Sutter doesn't have to juggle them so much.

It has nothing to do with it.

Like some have said, they began producing and haven't stopped or ran dry yet for any major stretch.

Additionally, there is more production and skill per player to spread around than last year...more multi-faceted players.

If last years lines produced from game 5 they would have been frozen.

Its amazing that some here think that Sutter just changes lines "for the fun of it", as if no one would have complained if he stuck with lines that didn't produce all season long.

I believe that Sutter's approach was long-term for at least 2 or even 3 years:

1.) Do as well as he could last year with what he had, try some things, experiment, crank out 99 points out of a HOF goalie and average team.

2.) Evaluate what he needed over the course of the year, to later implement his system changes,

3.) Appeal to Lou to get the best fiscally sane, franchise-sensible deals in the off-season to implement his assessed needs

4.) Now, with a better sense of the NHL coaching dynamics, player-coach relationships, and leadership on the bench (Jamie after a full year), and an averted team-tragedy with Marty - he's ready to go for it.

Like some have said, they began producing and haven't stopped or ran dry yet for any major stretch.

Additionally, there is more production and skill per player to spread around than last year...more multi-faceted players.

Its amazing that some here think that Sutter just changes lines "for the fun of it", as if no one would have complained if he stuck with lines that didn't produce all season long.

So you agree with me?

I believe that Sutter's approach was long-term for at least 2 or even 3 years:

1.) Do as well as he could last year with what he had, try some things, experiment, crank out 99 points out of a HOF goalie and average team.

2.) Evaluate what he needed over the course of the year, to later implement his system changes,

3.) Appeal to Lou to get the best fiscally sane, franchise-sensible deals in the off-season to implement his assessed needs

4.) Now, with a better sense of the NHL coaching dynamics, player-coach relationships, and leadership on the bench (Jamie after a full year), and an averted team-tragedy with Marty - he's ready to go for it.

very well put. This team look great!!!!