GDT: Devils @ Bruins 7PM, MSG, NESN

BlizzardCyclone

ah, what a nice win - we beat boston AND their officials.

in fairness to the refs, they did let new jersey get away with absolute murder after they made that spectacularly atrocious call.

but that's not who's important - who's important is everyone else who's awesome. colin white has been playing some of the best hockey of his career lately. langenbrunner with his timely goals. parise's touch around the net. elias's skates around the net. oduya's tremendous keep in that led to the 3rd devils goal.

I was going to post about White. What a game he played. He has really turned it on this season. He has become more agressive offensively and he has been strong on the back end. He is also starting to really crunch guys again. Last game he took out Heatley hard, and tonight, though I forget who it was, he crunched him.

Martin and Oduya look so smooth back there. Oduya has to be kept. He has been such a rock all season.

On the front end, Zajac keeps getting better every game. He made some great plays tonight.

And for all the heat the Captain gets on the boards, he has been awesome as of late. Remember all those late penalties? Well he only two minors in his last 22 games. Also has 12 points in his past 9 games.

Edited by devilsrule33

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another suprising and incredible thing is about this Devils team this year is that they are (23-0-1) when leading after two periods. The 8th time Clemmensen had the shutout going into the 3rd and did not get it, but got the win (8-0). That is good meaning the Devils do what it takes to win the game.

Last time Devils' teams had that kind of record and did that, they won the SC.

He lost the first Boston game after giving up a goal in the 3rd, so those stats can't be right.

So only one power play again for the entire game? Very interesting. Well at least we got one tonight I guess. Obviously the refs can go sit on it. Did the Devils actually play Boston tonight or was I seeing the 06 Canes out there? Nothing worse then a bunch of diving pussies. The entire 4th line got called for penalties tonight and the only legit call out of all of them was Holik's penalty.

It would have been nice to end this game a little smoother but the Devils played well tonight and if not for a post would have sealed this game much earlier then they did. A couple bad bounces and brain farts shouldn't tarnish a big road win.

beyond that, dr33, all the calls for rolston to play up there instead of langenbrunner - rolston has not been good these last few games. the good thing about rolston (and shanahan) is that they can play poorly and still score, they're that talented. still, he was invisible tonight and wheeler outskated him to a puck when rolston had a one-stride head-start. not a good sign.

first of all resiliency isn't a word or at least it shouldn't be. chico uses it all the time and it drives me up a wall.

anyway - defensive lapses? the first goal was on clemmensen and andy greene almost made a tremendous play to stop a goal - salvador was the one who roofed it.

Exactly. If Salvador didn't put his stick in there it remains 2-0.

But then we would have been robbed of the amazing finish.

STILL at this point we should be thinking about CATCHING BOSTON right?

Right now, as of this moment, as of that performance in that game, this is the best Devils team I have seen on the ice since 2001.

He lost the first Boston game after giving up a goal in the 3rd, so those stats can't be right.

No they are right. It was no score at the end of the 2nd between the Devils and Boston in New Jersey the first game this season. Lucic scored early in the 3rd to go up 1-0 and then the ENG at the end of the game for the 2-0 win for Boston.

Edited by SatansDevils

first of all resiliency isn't a word or at least it shouldn't be. chico uses it all the time and it drives me up a wall.

anyway - defensive lapses? the first goal was on clemmensen and andy greene almost made a tremendous play to stop a goal - salvador was the one who roofed it. goal 2 that guy wasn't that tremendously open and the pass to get to him was pretty nuts and on goal 3 it was a power play goal - i don't see who was ridiculously open there, zubrus should've had his stick in the lane but missed the pass. the devils played very good defense tonight against a team that can roll 3 strong lines. i don't see how bringing in one guy is going to change what happened tonight.

Resiliency is a word. Why shouldn't it be?

With regards to the first goal, it was a defensive lapse because of the lack of communication between the three players most critical to the defense. It was a poor decision by Clemmensen, but if either Greene or Salvador went behind the net to get the puck it would have been no goal.

On the second goal, there were two defensemen behind the goal line, something that should almost never happen, espeically with a guy open in front (Savard). Not to mention Gionta and Zubrus were in the slot watching Savard all alone in front, while neither actually picked him up. How is that not a defensive lapse?

With the third goal, Zubrus isn't really at fault for letting that puck through. It was on the PK, and Clemmensen might have been screened. That one can definitely be chalked up to a good play by the Bruins.

Obviously you disagree with me, but I think at least two of the goals were defensive lapses. Against one of the best teams in the league, you can almost never afford two plays like that. Luckily tonight the Devils were able to.

Edit: Adding one more solid defenseman helps with this because it will give certain players less ice time.

Edited by devils26

Does that matter? He still lost the shutout...

The stat put up at the start of the 3rd was that Clemmensen has lost a shutout 7 times in the 3rd period...tonight would be the 8th.

It is the 8th time but Clemmensen is 8-0 in those games after giving up the shutout. I mentioned earlier in a post.

I honestly could have shed a tear at the end of this game. I was so proud of them. They didn't give up. They didn't let the cracked out officiating get in the way of their win. They dominated the Bruins for big hunks of the game. They are going places, and we are going with them. I love it.

Okay. You have piqued my curiosity. Why shouldn't resiliency be a word?

As for Clemmensen losing shutouts in the third period I made light of that before (Weekes has the opposite problem... plays average in the first two periods and then steals the show in the third so I tongue-in-cheek suggested that we pull Scott after 2 every game). But I think it is more than Clemmensen. There is a reason why Weekes has to steal the show in the third period. The Devils completely forget how to forecheck after the second period. It's like some kind of ray gun wipes their memory of how they got the lead in the first place.

Man oh man, talk about a frustrating win... wow. It was worth it though, even though they gave up 3 goals in the 3rd and almost lost, the Devils showed their true colors on the road and got the huge win in OT against the best team in the Eastern Conference. Once the Bruins tied it and took the lead, I thought we were done for due to the momentum. I thought that shot that hit the post by Zubrus that almost made it 3-0 was going to be a big reason why the Bruins won... but that wasn't the case. Whew... big win, keeping the streak alive!

LETS GO DEVILS! :dance:

Well guys, after watching the Bruins for the first time for many of you I would hope you agree with me. The Bruins are all bunk and fluff.

Two flukey goals to tie the game and a bull$hit call on Rupp as Savard blatantly dived. (It wasn't a pick by Rupp as he had gotten position after the faceoff) Savard grabbed Rupp's stick and trapped it under his underarm to give the illusion of being hooked ( Classic Chelios "move" ) and just for good measure he fell to the ice.

The Bruins are a fraud, the only reason they are where they are now is because of fluke goals and diving to get powerplays ( carbon copy of the Colorado Avalanche in 2001)

They seem to get away with late hits. Whether or not they win #1 in the East or Presidents trophy remains to be seen, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they got knocked out in the first round of the playoffs. I don't mean in a seven game series thriller either, I think they'll get stomped 4 games to 1 or similar.

They are a decent team, but make no mistake they are not an elite team by any stretch of the imagination. We've seen this dog and pony trick before.

Resiliency is a word. Why shouldn't it be?

The word is resilience. Only after a bunch of dopey sports announcers started using resiliency (with the erroneous thought that since consistent->consistency, resilient->resiliency) did it finagle its way into the dictionary. but again it's something that just upsets me.

With regards to the first goal, it was a defensive lapse because of the lack of communication between the three players most critical to the defense. It was a poor decision by Clemmensen, but if either Greene or Salvador went behind the net to get the puck it would have been no goal.

so adding a new player is going to help the team communicate better? i realize this sounds like a troll, but this is precisely why teams are often reticent to add new players - mistakes such as the one that happened tonight.

Obviously you disagree with me, but I think at least two of the goals were defensive lapses. Against one of the best teams in the league, you can almost never afford two plays like that. Luckily tonight the Devils were able to.

Edit: Adding one more solid defenseman helps with this because it will give certain players less ice time.

i don't disagree there were defensive lapses, i just don't see how another defenseman shores those things up, for tonight at least. you've got 2 goals against that seem to be communication breakdowns and one that wasn't really a breakdown at all.

Edited by Triumph