Why Do refs hate us?

devlman

Because they like donuts...?

Look, every team is going to go through stretches where you don't get the calls going your way. We've been in that stretch for awhile, but we've also only lost two, maybe three games during that time, so we're clearly doing something right. We're also getting hammered with obscure rules that, in the end, are on the books, so it's the players/coaches responsibilities to know about 'em, 'cause clearly the refs do.

Tonight was a poorly officiated game, yes. But the good teams can get past that most of the time. The Devils didn't deserve to win tonight whether they got good calls or bad ones.

Not just from tonight, but much of the season.....the clear lack of powerplays, the absurd judgement coming from the toronto war room, opposing teams getting away with hacking, slashing, hooking our guys all over the place, refs not calling it both ways. I just want to know why, and want to know when someone from the Devils speaks up about it

Anyone who truely believe the refs hate a certain team are dillousional. Some games you get breaks, some games you don't. They are professionals who get paid to do this for a living.

Friday, Devs win with shorthanded goals and the game could have gone either way. Tonight, bushleague as it is not about the "refs hate a certain team(s)" Jas, it's about the flow of the game and if it should not be called play on. I know you agree.

Many calls are made based on a teams rep (players Holik!) and I'll be damned if you don't think that NJ is known typically as a defnsive team that doesn't score regardless of this year. Just the fact jack:

Whatever Bettman wants, and I will tell you that he does not want the Devs past the first round based on ratings. Lou is a thorn in his side and sad because Bettman could have promoted the hell out of this Franchice and grew the NHL but chose big market teams who spend and lose (cept maybe wings but they drafted so well over the years).

MLB, yes and can because of no cap. Look at the teams that win year in and out and #30 should be hanging on the wall of every kid who loves hockey throughout the US and Canada.

Instead we get bogus calls against us because revenue is king especially in this economy and Bettman wants Boston - Detroit. NOT the Devs and Sharks!

Edited by arena2003

Friday, Devs win with shorthanded goals and the game could have gone either way. Tonight, bushleague as it is not about the "refs hate a certain team(s)" Jas, it's about the flow of the game and if it should not be called play on. I know you agree.

Many calls are made based on a teams rep and I'll be damned if you don't think that NJ is known typically as a defnsive team. Just the fact jack:

Whatever Bettman wants, and I will tell you that he does not want the Devs past the first round based on ratings. Lou is a thorn in his side and sad because Bettman could have promoted the hell out of this Franchice and grew the NHL but chose big market teams who spend.

MLB, yes and do it. Cap, look at the teams that win year in and out and #30 should be hanging on the wall of every kid who loves hockey throughout the US and Canada.

Instaed we get bogus calls because a revenue is king in this economy nd Bettman wants Boston - Detroit. Not the Devs and Sharks!

Cool a Bettman mind reader. I can hear the black helicopters heading this way. Absurd. Delussional like Jas0nMacIsaac said. Some days you get the calls somedays you don't the conspiracy theory is right out of the Philly book of excuses and it doesn't get any lamer than that.

Cool a Bettman mind reader. I can hear the black helicopters heading this way. Absurd. Delussional like Jas0nMacIsaac said. Some days you get the calls somedays you don't the conspiracy theory is right out of the Philly book of excuses and it doesn't get any lamer than that.

Philly is the 4th largest market in the nation. Newark and the surrounding 5 counties?

Bettman would want Philly (NO NJ) down the stretch and to your point, right now in Feb. not a real big deal... BUT if the the officiating is crap in March then there is a big problem.

Set the standard now and I'm sure Lou and Sutter will get the point across to Toronto. The Rupp interference call was BS the other night and changed the whole complection of the game. Done.

I'm not saying it is a conspiracy but the lack of PP's this year is absurd. The Devils are currently last in the league in PP opportunities per game with 3.55 power plays per game. The Sharks lead the league with 4.74. That is a 1.19 pp/g difference from first to worst. Ideally, the difference would be less than 1 per game. But here is the kicker, the Ducks are 29th in the league as far pp/g with 3.8 pp/g, a difference of .26 pp/g. That gap between 29 and 30 is the largest gap from one ranking to the next. The next largest gap is between #25 Atlanta and #26 Bos at .15. For the most part the gap between one ranking and the next is .06 pp/g or below.

BTW, the Devils are shorthanded 3.98 times per game. So that means the Devils are shorthanded .43 more times than they have a PP per game.

I'm not saing it is a conspiricy because the Devils rank 22nd in ts/g. That said the gap between the 29th team, the Ducks, and the Devils is absurd. I don't know the reason for it. Maybe it has something to do with the lack of diving mentioned earlier in the week.

I'm not saying it is a conspiracy but the lack of PP's this year is absurd. The Devils are currently last in the league in PP opportunities per game with 3.55 power plays per game. The Sharks lead the league with 4.74. That is a 1.19 pp/g difference from first to worst. Ideally, the difference would be less than 1 per game. But here is the kicker, the Ducks are 29th in the league as far pp/g with 3.8 pp/g, a difference of .26 pp/g. That gap between 29 and 30 is the largest gap from one ranking to the next. The next largest gap is between #25 Atlanta and #26 Bos at .15. For the most part the gap between one ranking and the next is .06 pp/g or below.

BTW, the Devils are shorthanded 3.98 times per game. So that means the Devils are shorthanded .43 more times than they have a PP per game.

I'm not saing it is a conspiricy because the Devils rank 22nd in ts/g. That said the gap between the 29th team, the Ducks, and the Devils is absurd. I don't know the reason for it. Maybe it has something to do with the lack of diving mentioned earlier in the week.

It's a definate trend and it's not all because of Bobby Holik. And it's not logical because of their style of play.

It's a definate trend and it's not all because of Bobby Holik. And it's not logical because of their style of play.

It's not an issue of being targeted after all they are 22nd in time shorthanded. It's that they aren't getting the calls other way. Like you said before teams are basically allowed to water ski against the Devils.

I mentioned the gap between the Ducks (29th in pp/g) and the Devils (30th) was .26. The average difference between one ranking to the next is .04. The gap between the Ducks and the Devils is 6.5 times the average gap between teams. That goes beyond the normal breaks that happen in the game.

Edited by jkrdevil

If some days we got calls then id agree. But it seems the vast majority of times we have calls go against us

Apparently you didn't see the most recent PIT game with the Sykora hook call and extra 2 for unsportsman-like, and the lack of a hook call on Crosby in the dying seconds of the 3rd. Gave us that game.

We tied that game and eventually won in a shootout.

A game we had little business winning.

Where was the outrage then???? Forum seemed content that night.

Lets stop the whining - sure sometimes the officiating is bad (in many games throughout the league) - but there is no Devils conspiracy.....the league likes and promotes our "winning withoit Brodeur" story just fine this year, and Scott Clemmensen is the "feel good" comeback story that Ty Conklin was last year.

Apparently you didn't see the most recent PIT game with the Sykora hook call and extra 2 for unsportsman-like, and the lack of a hook call on Crosby in the dying seconds of the 3rd. Gave us that game.

We tied that game and eventually won in a shootout.

A game we had little business winning.

Where was the outrage then???? Forum seemed content that night.

Lets stop the whining - sure sometimes the officiating is bad (in many games throughout the league) - but there is no Devils conspiracy.....the league likes and promotes our "winning withoit Brodeur" story just fine this year, and Scott Clemmensen is the "feel good" comeback story that Ty Conklin was last year.

Little business winning? The Devils doubled them in shots and possession and I don't think they got the better of the calls in that game, Sykora was just an idiot that probably told an official to "fvck off" or something. Because Patty was talking alot and got away with it after the "high stick". He was stupid enough to say a magic word, too bad for him.

Here's a challenge, find the games this season where the Devils have more PP for than against. Not too many.

Many calls are made based on a teams rep (players Holik!) and I'll be damned if you don't think that NJ is known typically as a defnsive team that doesn't score regardless of this year. Just the fact jack:

Whatever Bettman wants, and I will tell you that he does not want the Devs past the first round based on ratings. Lou is a thorn in his side and sad because Bettman could have promoted the hell out of this Franchice and grew the NHL but chose big market teams who spend and lose (cept maybe wings but they drafted so well over the years).

MLB, yes and can because of no cap. Look at the teams that win year in and out and #30 should be hanging on the wall of every kid who loves hockey throughout the US and Canada.

Instead we get bogus calls against us because revenue is king especially in this economy and Bettman wants Boston - Detroit. NOT the Devs and Sharks!

The Wings also spent well, they bought their cup in 2002.

Other than that I agree with most you said.

Little business winning? The Devils doubled them in shots and possession and I don't think they got the better of the calls in that game, Sykora was just an idiot that probably told an official to "fvck off" or something. Because Patty was talking alot and got away with it after the "high stick". He was stupid enough to say a magic word, too bad for him.

Here's a challenge, find the games this season where the Devils have more PP for than against. Not too many.

there are lots, but there's also a reasonable correlation between being behind in a game and drawing more penalties than your opponent. and the devils definitely got the better of the calls in that game. in fact before this week the devils have been running pretty hot with the officiating, in my view.

maybe we have to be like detroit fans and boo every time one of our players hits the ice.

Edited by Triumph

The refs dont hate us (or at least im not concluded to that quite yet), its just how the new NHL is.. constant inconsistent called games penalty-wise.. I saw like 1 or 2 replays last night of Mottau's "cover of the puck" and I dont recall him covering it up, he swiped it out of the crease.. Zubrus did not kick the puck in, he was getting drilled from behind how could he possibly see the puck and kick it in? That said it still hit the post and then hit the goalie..

anyway yeah, inconsistent officiating is what the new NHL is, thats what i believe right now..

Edited by nmigliore

Anyone who truely believe the refs hate a certain team are dillousional. Some games you get breaks, some games you don't. They are professionals who get paid to do this for a living.

The Devils draw the least amount of penalties in the league. (that's not an opinion, that's a fact)

...meanwhile AO's Capitals & Sid's Penguins continue to draw the most penalties in the league. (comfortably @ #1 & #2) You want to toss it up all to coincidence, be my guest.

The refs hate us for the same reason they hate most small market teams... they don't draw well for the league. (beyond just rev & ratings) The stigma of being trap/boring will also take a long time to go away.

Edited by Beezer34

The Devils draw the least amount of penalties in the league. (that's not an opinion, that's a fact)

...meanwhile AO's Capitals & Sid's Penguins continue to draw the most penalties in the league. (comfortably @ #1 & #2) You want to toss it up all to coincidence, be my guest.

The refs hate us for the same reason they hate most small market teams... they don't draw well for the league. (beyond just rev & ratings) The stigma of being trap/boring will also take a long time to go away.

The Capitals are 5th in the league in most penalties taken and had to kill off 8 minutes of power play basically in a row in the 3rd period last night.

also what the hell are you talking about. the penguins are 4th in the league and the capitals are around 10th. did you do any research before making this statement or jsut figured it had to be true?

Edited by Triumph

That is not even close to being true. If you look at it by a per game basis (as to take the factor of more games being played by a team out) San Jose is #1 in the league with 5.74 power plays recieved per game. Montreal is 2nd with 4.69. Pittsburgh ranks tied for 7th in the league with 4.43 pp/g. Washington ranks 17th with 4.24 pp/g. In fact the Caps are tied with Minnesota as far as drawing penalties are concerned. As triumph mentioned the Caps are 4th in the league in times shorthanded per game with 4.80 ts/g. That means on average they have to kill off more penalties per game than they get in PP's.