What is David Clarkson's Career Potential?

Sharifijanov2099

Presently, Clarkson is on pace for 33 points. As our chief grinder, agitator, wrap-around lover, how does Clarkson project out in terms of his career potential? He had 22 points last season, so he looks to be on a good pace and is definitely one of the most hard-working guys on the team.

Do you think he'll ever progress to a Randy McKay type? When McKay got shifted to a larger role (along with Holik), he had seasons ranging from 37 to 48 points. Could Clarkson be this type of guy, or was it just a lack of offensive depth that allowed McKay to pot such totals?

Personally, I'd like to see Clarkie in the 40 point range, dropping the gloves when he needs to, and providing energy at all times. But what are your thoughts?

Although some may not agree, his career potential may be more consistent in points than McKay. If he becomes a better finisher, which is very possible, and works on his skating, we may be seeing a 25 goal scorer. 20 goals isn't unlikely in the near future, career potential up to 25 I think. For a man in his role, he does a great job.

Although some may not agree, his career potential may be more consistent in points than McKay. If he becomes a better finisher, which is very possible, and works on his skating, we may be seeing a 25 goal scorer. 20 goals isn't unlikely in the near future, career potential up to 25 I think. For a man in his role, he does a great job.

Thats true.....

IMO, he just reminds me alot of McKay. Same tough grinder forward, that can hit, fight, and occasionally score goals.

Clarkson just may have a McKay like career, which would make him a steal since he was signed as a free agent and never drafted. That's a good type of guy to have on a hockey team, especially when he picks up a scoring touch.

But the question remains, will he grow the McKay Stache??? Only then will he be truly awesome.

I like Clarkson and would like to see the Devils hang on to him. I always thought of him as being a Brylin type player for the devils, with fighting added in (and the sweet sweet wrap-around). Clarkson just needs a couple more sips of the Lou-Aide :koolaid: and he will be a career Devil.

24 goals in 1997-98 was huge.

i think mckay was faster and better on his skates than clarkson. i think what's happening this year is around clarkson's top end, tough to say though.

Also I totally agree with this assessment. I think this is Clarkson's ceiling this season, or at least very very close to it. And there is a very valuable place on a hockey team for that type of player, especially at his current pricetag.

25 goals max I think.

McKay was a stronger skater, faster. Clarkson has better puck control and more agile. Neither has a ton of offensive hockey sense to anticipate where to go or passing ability. At best he's a good utility wing that could fill in some 2nd line time as needed. If he develops a stronger/more accurate shot, he could be dangerous.

I love Clarkson's work ethic, he's a keeper.

Edited by shrubbery

Clarkson does whatever Brent tells him to and will do whatever it takes to help the Devils win. He is always asking players such as Elias for tips on how to score more goals and stuff like that. He has great potential. Hopefully Lou will keep him.

I was totally thinking the same thing in the past few games, it seems that regardless of who gets scratched as far as forwards go, (whether it be Rupp, Pando or in the last game Shanny, albeit for his legs but lets run with it) Clarkson has never been scratched for a single game yet, and while i like this it just make me wonder what brent really sees in Clarkson, especially bc he is not one of the bigger producers.

I agree with the McKay comparison. Maybe this is neither here nor there as far as career potential goes, but he's definitely not as good of a fighter as Randy was.

This > this

Granted, he weighs 205 pounds (McKay was 210). By comparison, Rupp is 230 and Brashear is 225. So while not a middleweight by boxing standards (that tops out at 160), he absolutely is by hockey standards.

Interesting to me is Janssen also weighs 205. He's a vastly superior fighter, but at the cost of other more important hockey skills like making a great pass or putting the puck on net. Thank God Clarkson does not possess the hands of stone that Janssen does. Lest we forget Clarkson edged out Janssen for this very reason.

I think you begin to get an idea of what Sutter sees in him by recalling a conversation that he had earlier this season with Chico. Clarkson asked Chico if there was anything he noticed about his play that could be improved and Chico gave him some advice that he actually listened to and put into practice that very night. I believe it resulted in a goal. So here you have a guy who's a hard-worker, always looking to improve his game. How could a coach not love that?

Edited by Kulags

I was totally thinking the same thing in the past few games, it seems that regardless of who gets scratched as far as forwards go, (whether it be Rupp, Pando or in the last game Shanny, albeit for his legs but lets run with it) Clarkson has never been scratched for a single game yet, and while i like this it just make me wonder what brent really sees in Clarkson, especially bc he is not one of the bigger producers.

he's 5th on the team in goals and has 4 on the pp

well maybe that's not a "BIG" producer but that's offense worthy of playing every night and not being stuffed on the 4th line either

plus him Rolston and Madden have a nice chamistry and balance to them which meshes well.....

geesh!!!

He's a modern-day Randy McKay and there's nothing wrong with it!

Clarkson just may have a McKay like career, which would make him a steal since he was signed as a free agent and never drafted. That's a good type of guy to have on a hockey team, especially when he picks up a scoring touch.

But the question remains, will he grow the McKay Stache??? Only then will he be truly awesome.

I agree. I went from being open to trading Clarkson in the right deal to really wanting no part of dealing him at all. If he turns out to be anywhere near as good as Randy McKay was, I want Clarkson to play his whole career here.

David Clarkson plays a lot like Randy McKay. They both park out infront of the net on the PP, have the occasional fight and score some timely big goals. Not sure if Clarkson can put up nunbers like McKay did, but he is still young and getting better in each season. He is a keeper I agree. he likes that wrap around of his and that move he made yesterday vs. the Sharks to score his first goal was nice too. Clarkson is a lot faster on the ice than what McKay was. Mckay was more a gritter player and a vocal leader.

he certainly has a long career in front of him but can be a career 20-25 per season guy. what i like about him is that he isn't afraid to stand in front of the goalie on the pp. it makes rolston shot so much more deadly, a lot of players will start to move when you see a rocket coming at the goalie and it helps the goalie see. clarkson just stands there, dead center, every time.

Clarkson showed a lot of humility on the post game afte rthe Sharks win... I like that. Lou likes that.

Clarkson needs to improve his vision and collect some more garbage goals... then he's on a RM creer line.

And a team needs player sin various roles (do I sound like Lou).. and he is a s good as it gets for what he does.

Trade him for who?

Clarkson is very much like randy, although i think he has the potential to perhaps score a few more goals.

one thing that is becoming more apparent this year, David is a really good fighter... the devils really hit gold with clarkson...great kid.