GDT: Devils at Sens 7:30PM Live on MSG+2 (Shafted again)

BlizzardCyclone

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

these guys are a bunch of a$$holes. how can you not pressure the puck - the fvcking deserve to lose.

we're hearing about great shifts that they don't score on - that's the best we can hope for?! fvck these guys. when you don't fvcking learn what works and what doesn't, you're too stupid to deserve to win. the PK with no pressure - the last minute with no pressure. you'd think they'd look at what other fvcking teams do to them and figure it out.

these guys are fvcking dumb.

Truth be told, it starts with Sutter. They were not playing like this earlier in the year, hell they were trying to tack on goals. Now they're acting like it's pre-lockout NHL with Stevens and Nieds, and Brodeur will take care of the rest. I think Sutter's fallen as much prey to the Marty crutch as the players - especially given his comments after the Buffalo game about how the 3-0 lead enabled us to hold on to a 3-2 win.

don't let a shootout win fool you.

if the devils play like this - no pressure on the PK and unable to cash in on PP's, they will be lucky to win 2 games in round 1.

brodeur did make some very good and key saves. the fire drill for goal 2 - not his fault although you might prefer that he's stays a little more solid in his crease - but that has never been his game. the lack of pressure until the very end of that play was brutal.

Some positives, some negatives - thus is a tied game.

The negatives first:

Pandolfo, Madden, and Shanahan is a doomed enterprise. Luckily, Brent Sutter did not try to match them against anyone, but they were still terrible for a lot of shifts, just slogging around in their own end until they could muster an ineffectual breakout.

White and Mottau seem similarly doomed.

We didn't seem to miss Rupp and Holik, but they will undoubtedly be back in the lineup.

Still only got 2 goals.

The positives:

I thought Paul Martin had a strong game.

Brian Gionta and Brian Rolston scored goals - I am sure dr33 will tell me those goals don't count, especially Rolston's, but they did put us in a position to win.

Brendan Shanahan actually made a difference on the power play.

The penalty kill didn't look overmatched.

---

On the second Senators goal, I really wanted to blame someone for it, but the Senators had 6 men out and New Jersey had 5, and sometimes that is going to happen when one team has 6 and one team has 5.

LOL no way. Shanny's shot was nice, but it doesn't touch the Parise move. at all.

Parise's move was "sexier", but Shanahan's was pure hands and goal scoring skill. I'll bet 75% of players in this league, and that's being conservative, couldn't put the puck where Shanahan did right in that situation.

That's why i love right handed goal scorers.

Truth be told, it starts with Sutter. They were not playing like this earlier in the year, hell they were trying to tack on goals. Now they're acting like it's pre-lockout NHL with Stevens and Nieds, and Brodeur will take care of the rest. I think Sutter's fallen as much prey to the Marty crutch as the players - especially given his comments after the Buffalo game about how the 3-0 lead enabled us to hold on to a 3-2 win.

i agree this is sutter's problem, but i don't necessarily believe he's playing the marty crutch. i actually think sutter is more like us in that he doesn't believe in primadona stuff and marty insisting on playing every game probably grates on him. i don't think he feels they can play 2-1 games and sit on leads. i think he wants the pressure but the players just don't do it.

i don't get it - how can they not see what works and what doesn't?

don't let a shootout win fool you.

if the devils play like this - no pressure on the PK and unable to cash in on PP's, they will be lucky to win 2 games in round 1.

brodeur did make some very good and key saves. the fire drill for goal 2 - not his fault although you might prefer that he's stays a little more solid in his crease - but that has never been his game. the lack of pressure until the very end of that play was brutal.

the first goal was really a power play goal - the fifth man had yet to get back into the play. i know one out of six isn't great, but there it is.

i wish i could get a screenshot of how the senators were playing on the PK and how new jersey was. ottawa did go into a more passive box at times. but yeah it doesn't work.

sundstrom: i think, given the end of sutter's career as he was a goal-scorer turned broken down checker in the fashion of bobby holik, that he is very concrete in what does and doesn't work. and i am not sure how he isn't seeing that the passive box doesn't really work but he isn't. it's not a lack of execution - he wants guys to get sticks in passing lanes instead of trying to force them to rush the play.

Edited by Triumph

the first goal was really a power play goal - the fifth man had yet to get back into the play. i know one out of six isn't great, but there it is.

i wish i could get a screenshot of how the senators were playing on the PK and how new jersey was. ottawa did go into a more passive box at times. but yeah it doesn't work.

sundstrom: i think, given the end of sutter's career as he was a goal-scorer turned broken down checker in the fashion of bobby holik, that he is very concrete in what does and doesn't work. and i am not sure how he isn't seeing that the passive box doesn't really work but he isn't. it's not a lack of execution - he wants guys to get sticks in passing lanes instead of trying to force them to rush the play.

regardless of the 1st goal, they had a ton of PP time and had no idea what to do with it. in the playoffs, you have to get at least 2 if you plan to go anywhere. i'd be interested to see PP% of cup winners. I'd think it has to be at least 22% - 24%.

re: the end of sutter's career - maybe that's the problem. you could beat the sh!t out of a guy standing in front and knock a guys teeth out that tried to crash the net. now you can't even get in their way.

regardless of the 1st goal, they had a ton of PP time and had no idea what to do with it. in the playoffs, you have to get at least 2 if you plan to go anywhere. i'd be interested to see PP% of cup winners. I'd think it has to be at least 22% - 24%.

yeah but 'at least 2' - that's 33%. the one thing that annoyed me about the power play was how slow and awful they looked in their own zone on the breakout - everyone looked like they didn't know how to skate very well. i'd be curious how many shots on goal they had on their power play, though. i think it has potential, but that the second unit has to make some better decisions.

re: the end of sutter's career - maybe that's the problem. you could beat the sh!t out of a guy standing in front and knock a guys teeth out that tried to crash the net. now you can't even get in their way.

i suspect it's the personnel too - pandolfo and madden, pandolfo especially, can't play a pursuit game. and pando's in the lineup now permanently. this is speculation on my part but it might have something to do with marty's 'no laying down on the ice' policy too - i saw a lot of that from the rangers' PK tonight.

Edited by Triumph

i suspect it's the personnel too - pandolfo and madden, pandolfo especially, can't play a pursuit game. and pando's in the lineup now permanently. this is speculation on my part but it might have something to do with marty's 'no laying down on the ice' policy too - i saw a lot of that from the rangers' PK tonight.

i forgot about that part - you're right that might have something to do with it. perhaps it's my wishful imagination trying to point fingers, but i don't remember harping on the passive box while clemmer was playing - then again pando was out a lot and so with elias - gionta and langs - zajac killing pairs - they went at it.

could be a combo of both.

yeah but 'at least 2' - that's 33%. the one thing that annoyed me about the power play was how slow and awful they looked in their own zone on the breakout - everyone looked like they didn't know how to skate very well. i'd be curious how many shots on goal they had on their power play, though. i think it has potential, but that the second unit has to make some better decisions.

the Madden line with Pando and Shanny is out of my worst nightmares burrowing up from hell. Slow as sh!t and they play passive box + 1. Yeech. Worst part is Sutter is starting to match them up against people. That would seem to be a strategy to pull if you wanted to get fired. Can you imagine them playing against Staal or Crosby or Richards? God help us if that happens.

The PP just sucks, I'm sorry, I don't know how they are near a 20% clip. The third period PP's were hilariously bad. Especially the 4. Why not try to win the game instead of dicking around with the puck on the boards until, predictably, you get outworked and either give up a rush or take a penalty. They ended up with option 2.

Good game for Marty though. Weirdly enough, other than Marty playing much, much better and Auld saying "here, have a goal!", I think they played better, or at least equal, against Toronto.

We just won the division. Does there always have to be a dark cloud hiding under your silver lining? Even on a sunny spring day? It's not just you, but if we would have lost this game in the shootout, this thread would have 5 more pages of posts like this, yet because we won, everyone's reaction is "who cares". God damnit, you people are hard to please.

I don't care about division banners first of all, and I'm not a negative person. I just thought it was frustrating to watch those guys not be able to get a shot on net on about five 2 on 1s.

I'm not going to be pleased easily just because we won a game in a shootout after we blew the lead in the last minute. There is no shootout in the playoffs. Bottom line is we looked like a mess in the last minute.

And as people have pointed out...Madden, Pandolfo and Shanahan is a disaster. They had their hands full all night against a very average line. The whole team had their hands full against an average team. Shanahan did have his best game as a Devil since his first game with the team though.

i forgot about that part - you're right that might have something to do with it. perhaps it's my wishful imagination trying to point fingers, but i don't remember harping on the passive box while clemmer was playing - then again pando was out a lot and so with elias - gionta and langs - zajac killing pairs - they went at it.

could be a combo of both.

they tried to play passive PK with Clemmer and Weekes. Predictably, they got tick-tac-toed to death. Then they got aggresively, I guess out of fear of the goalies, and had a halfway decent PK for a team with those goalies. Now, Marty's back and it's time for good 'ol "let them hold the puck for 1:45 out of every 2:00" passive box.

What a game for the Devils tonight.

Devils are the 2008-2009 Atlantic Division Champions! :koolaid::dance:

Brodeur was on tonight and looked like vintage Brodeur tonight. That save he made in OT with the glove showed he is back IMO. It was the first time since coming back from his surgery he snapped the glove hand for the save. Nice game by Brodeur and if the Devils could have scores at least ONE PPG out of their SIX, (including a 4-minute PP) chances they would have won in regulation.

Nice to see Gionta score his 20th of the season and a nice goal by Rolston too who i thought had a good game and like him centering that line tonight.

Devils franchise 50th win of the season and now onto their last game of the regular season vs. Carolina, where they need a win over them as they maybe one of three teams the Devils could face in the 1st round of the playoffs, with the other two teams being Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. Devils are 0-3 vs. Carolina and Carolina has a lot to play for as they are playing for the #4 seed in the EC and some home ice. Carolina was embarrassed on home ice tonight 5-1 by Buffalo. Devils now winning 3 of their last 4-games hopefully win their last game and give them some confidence incase they play Carolina in the 1st round.

LETS GO DEVILS!!!

the Madden line with Pando and Shanny is out of my worst nightmares burrowing up from hell. Slow as sh!t and they play passive box + 1. Yeech. Worst part is Sutter is starting to match them up against people. That would seem to be a strategy to pull if you wanted to get fired. Can you imagine them playing against Staal or Crosby or Richards? God help us if that happens.

he didn't match them up tonight which to me is a great sign - now he just has to break them up and we'll be better. i think they have a combined 5 shots at even strength over the last two games.

i mean pandolfo is just terrible out there. he is a disaster. -11 and he's not even matching up against top lines that often now, he provides nothing to the PK either. what it really speaks to is just the fact that the devils don't have anyone pushing these guys from the minors quite yet.

Especially if White and Mottau were on the ice at the same time...good god you could probably pick five of us at random that could outskate that line.

LOL no way. Shanny's shot was nice, but it doesn't touch the Parise move. at all.

I disagree, Shanny beat the goalie with speed, an effortless deadly precision shot.

Parise had to act like a contortionist having an epilectic fit ( some people call it deking) to beat the goalie.

IMO it is better to score with no effort. Take basketball for instance, a lot of folk think slam dunks are "cool" I think a 17 foot jump shot is better, again, no histrionic convulsions to score.

he didn't match them up tonight which to me is a great sign - now he just has to break them up and we'll be better. i think they have a combined 5 shots at even strength over the last two games.

i mean pandolfo is just terrible out there. he is a disaster. -11 and he's not even matching up against top lines that often now, he provides nothing to the PK either. what it really speaks to is just the fact that the devils don't have anyone pushing these guys from the minors quite yet.

Pandolfo had a good game at the worst possible time. You'd think after, I dunno, 20 really sh!tty games, you'd ignore the one good one. Sutter hasn't.

I think the problem is that we don't have anyone in that mold in the minors other than Pelley. Bergfors should have gotten an extended look in a game, but let's be honest 1) Sutter isn't going to give him 12-15 minutes even if someone like Elias is out, and 2) the role we have defined for our bottom line players (slow and "somewhere between washed up and useless" vets who have some size), he does't fit.

They all need to go next year. But Pando can't because of the contract (I mean, I think even if he retires we're still stuck with the tab, he was 34 when he signed it, but I don't know if the old fart rule applies to actual age or the age you become during the season) and I have a feeling Madden will get one year at a slightly reduced rate. Or Lou will lose his sh!t and offer him $3.5M for one year for no reason.

they tried to play passive PK with Clemmer and Weekes. Predictably, they got tick-tac-toed to death. Then they got aggresively, I guess out of fear of the goalies, and had a halfway decent PK for a team with those goalies. Now, Marty's back and it's time for good 'ol "let them hold the puck for 1:45 out of every 2:00" passive box.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has been driven insane by this.

Pandolfo had a good game at the worst possible time. You'd think after, I dunno, 20 really sh!tty games, you'd ignore the one good one. Sutter hasn't.

I think the problem is that we don't have anyone in that mold in the minors other than Pelley. Bergfors should have gotten an extended look in a game, but let's be honest 1) Sutter isn't going to give him 12-15 minutes even if someone like Elias is out, and 2) the role we have defined for our bottom line players (slow and "somewhere between washed up and useless" vets who have some size), he does't fit.

i think for the organization having bergfors in the minors this year was a good move. he didn't look particularly good at the NHL level and there was really no reason to have him up. he's not going to bounce gionta off the PP, and the devils' right wing is their strongest one. but halischuk's top end is thought to be as a role player - he could get a look next season. zharkov, too.

They all need to go next year. But Pando can't because of the contract (I mean, I think even if he retires we're still stuck with the tab, he was 34 when he signed it, but I don't know if the old fart rule applies to actual age or the age you become during the season) and I have a feeling Madden will get one year at a slightly reduced rate. Or Lou will lose his sh!t and offer him $3.5M for one year for no reason.

the devils are not stuck with pandolfo's tab - he can be sent down or bought out. he's actually been so bad that a buyout wouldn't be terrible - little less than 1 million for 4 years. the devils have to be smart in free agency - it's no longer in your best interest to get out there on july 1. the best signings next year are going to be made in august and september.

Edited by Triumph