GDT: Canes at Devs... 7:30PM ROUND 1 GAME 2 MSG+

BlizzardCyclone

Why didn't you answer the question about PP points?

You're also the guy that thought the 8-5 win by Clemmy against the NYR was a great goaltending performance, right?

No, the defense isn't better with Greene playing instead of Martin or White just like the team wasn't better with Clemmy or Weekes in the net rather than Marty, regardless of records.

No Greene was in the line up while there were games missed by White and Martin due to their injuries and Greene stepped up and played well-hence the winning streaks. When havelid came the defense was terrible-hence the losing streak and the bad play of Salvador during that time paired with Havelid.

I could careless who has what points as long as the TEAM was playing well defensively with Greene in the line up rather than Havelid. The defense has shown they were better with Greene in the line up. Wins and losses is what counts and the Devils were winning until Havelid came into the mix.

BTW, I don't know what you have been watching, but Clemmer won 25-games and the Devils were playing like a machine back when he was in goal on long winning streaks. This is why they finished where they are right now in the playoffs. Without Clemmer and Weekes doing a good job, the Devils would not have made the playoffs.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No Greene was in the line up while there were games missed by White and Martin due to their injuries and Greene stepped up and played well-hence the winning streaks. When havelid came the defense was terrible-hence the losing streak and the bad play of Salvador during that time paired with Havelid.

I could careless who has what points as long as the TEAM was playing well defensively with Greene in the line up rather than Havelid. The defense has shown they were better with Greene in the line up. Wins and losses is what counts and the Devils were winning until Havelid came into the mix.

BTW, I don't know what you have been watching, but Clemmer won 25-games and the Devils were playing like a machine back when he was in goal on long winning streaks. This is why they finished where they are right now in the playoffs. Without Clemmer and Weekes doing a good job, the Devils would not have made the playoffs.

So the Devils scoring 8 goals in 7 games didn't have anything to do with the losing streak? It was all 1 player destroying the entire teams defense? I feel silly having to even ask those questions but your answers are hysterical since they're obviously wrong.

The Devils have won 5 of the last 6 with Havelid in the lineup, did he magically start making the team awesome or did his horrible game destroying aura go away for a little bit?

So you believe I was wrong saying the team is better with Marty in net than Clemmy or Weekes? Since you were arguing that point.

You don't believe Greene, if he was a better PP defenseman who added offense would have had at least 1 point in 49 games this season on the PP while a guy you think is horrible was able to get 3 points in 15 games on the PP?

I figured out the problem SD, it isn't Havelid.

When March was any day larger than 20 the Devils didn't win. They were 0 for 5 in March after March 20th.

That theory is just as valid as lacking Greene destroyed the Devils team. :lol:

So the Devils scoring 8 goals in 7 games didn't have anything to do with the losing streak? It was all 1 player destroying the entire teams defense? I feel silly having to even ask those questions but your answers are hysterical since they're obviously wrong.

The Devils have won 5 of the last 6 with Havelid in the lineup, did he magically start making the team awesome or did his horrible game destroying aura go away for a little bit?

So you believe I was wrong saying the team is better with Marty in net than Clemmy or Weekes? Since you were arguing that point.

You don't believe Greene, if he was a better PP defenseman who added offense would have had at least 1 point in 49 games this season on the PP while a guy you think is horrible was able to get 3 points in 15 games on the PP?

I figured out the problem SD, it isn't Havelid.

When March was any day larger than 20 the Devils didn't win. They were 0 for 5 in March after March 20th.

That theory is just as valid as lacking Greene destroyed the Devils team. :lol:

So now you are putting words that I never said. The Devils did win 5 of their last 6-games, but was the defense playing as good as it was for the most part of the season? No.

This team was doing very well while Brodeur was out with his injury. Then Brodeur cameback and played great in the first 10-games going 9-1 and got his #552 record. After that the team lost the excitement and emotional high where came the losing streak and Brodeur was still trying to get his game back. I never said this team was better with Clemmer and Weekes instead of Brodeur. Trust me, I would rather have Brodeur thanks. I was just saying how well the two kept the Devils where they are now.

As for Greene you forgot that he had 2-PPG early in the season before he broke his hand. IMO, the defense was playing a lot better with Greene than Havelid.

So now you are putting words that I never said. The Devils did win 5 of their last 6-games, but was the defense playing as good as it was for the most part of the season? No.

This team was doing very well while Brodeur was out with his injury. Then Brodeur cameback and played great in the first 10-games going 9-1 and got his #552 record. After that the team lost the excitement and emotional high where came the losing streak and Brodeur was still trying to get his game back. I never said this team was better with Clemmer and Weekes instead of Brodeur. Trust me, I would rather have Brodeur thanks. I was just saying how well the two kept the Devils where they are now.

As for Greene you forgot that he had 2-PPG early in the season before he broke his hand. IMO, the defense was playing a lot better with Greene than Havelid.

no he didn't.

Greene had 2 PP goals earlier this year? His stat card would disagree with you.

Andy Greene's last 43 games played this season: 1 goal and 2 assists and he was -1. Those numbers certainly don't suggest he was playing great since he wasn't scoring and he was on the ice for more goals against than for on a team that was +35 and he played on them during the good times and not the bad, since his leaving the lineup made the bad happen.

From the ESB:

Tim Gleason scored at 2:40 of overtime to give the Hurricanes a 2-1 victory over Martin Brodeur and the Devils and even their series at one game apiece. The loss dropped Brodeur's playoff overtime record to 11-20. His 20 overtime losses tie Ed Belfour's NHL playoff record, though Belfour won twice as many overtime games in postseason play as Brodeur (22-11).

Tim Gleason was perhaps the most unlikely overtime goal scorer in NHL playoff history, in light of the fact that he did not score any goals in the 70 games he played during the 2008-09 regular season. Six other players scored OT goals in a playoff year that followed a regular season in which they were goalless, but none of them played as many games as Gleason. The previous high was by Washington's Rod Langway, who scored in overtime against the Rangers in 1990 after goaing goalless in 58 games during the 1989-90 season.

Like all of you I am disappointed in the loss, however I am not disappointed in the effort shown by our boys last night. I very much doubt anyone thought we would sweep this series. The Devils played thier game the way they wanted to and unfortunately Carolina overcame us in OT. I don't believe momentum has swung in Carolina's favor just yet. We MAY have lost some but I don't think the canes gained any.

I was particularly impressed with Parise though. After a guy has a goal disallowed sometimes it throws him off his game and he winds up struggling but Parise came right back and scored a legal goal shortly after that. All around the Devils were getting thier chances and Brodeur was backstopping like the #1 goalie he is. They knew Carolina was going to come out in game 2 strong and they matched the effort shown. I suggest no changes going into Game 3. An OT loss hurts but this one doesn't sting as bad as it could have.

Game 2 is behind us, and game 3 is on deck. LETS GO DEVILS!

Langenbrunner is the last player I'd pick to lose and it ruins all the lines, and now Rolston is going to make or break the team's postseason chances. I don't see how you play Elias on a line with Zajac and Parise, Rolston is going to have to take the spot, and given his lack of aggression and physical play that line is now broken.

I still think the Devils can win this series but a lot of people are going to have to step up to do it.

All the problems I was worried about surfaced this game. The Madden line was getting beat badly, Zubrus is still awful, and then a problem I wasn't and couldn't be worried about surfaced and Langs, the Captain, went down, and who knows how much he'll have if he even gets back into the series.

Tough times.

I read some say that the Madden/Pando/Shannahan line was dominated. I thought the total opposite. I didn't notice the Canes top line for most of the game since that checking line had the puck in the canes zone for most of the night. There was only one shift they were pinned in their own zone, and that was at the end of the 2nd period. I thought the line that was pinned in their own zone the most was the Rolston/Gio/Zubrus line. I really hope Langenbrunner gets back soon because right now it doesn't look like Rolston is capable of kicking it up a notch.

You're an idiot.

And I'd like to see Elias get if Jamie out. No need to give Parise the C. Nothing to gain by it. Elias is someone that I think would benefit from getting the C back. The C meant a lot to him, and it could be a major motivational tool.

And for those wondering if it was the worst OT ever. I thought the last OT vs the Canes in 2006 might have been shorter, but this one beat it from 19 seconds.

And this is where not scoring on the PP kills you. The Devils had plenty of attempts to take the lead.

First off I don't appreciate being called an idiot, completely uncalled for, second what on earth does this loss have anything to do with who gets the C on their jersey?, This was by far one of the worst overtimes in Devils history. But I do have to agree with you on one thing, not scoring on the power play doesn't help out either, its inexcusable, it has always been a weakness for the Devils.

the thing re: power plays is nonsense. the devils had 5 and a quarter PPs. even if their power play was 25% to score, one goal is a far more likely outcome than 2. i have no idea how people can sit here and say it was the power play that let the team down when they scored a goal on it.

Edited by Triumph

the thing re: power plays is nonsense. the devils had 5 and a quarter PPs. even if their power play was 25% to score, one goal is a far more likely outcome than 2. i have no idea how people can sit here and say it was the power play that let the team down when they scored a goal on it.

It is not how many PPG the Devils can score. It is WHEN the PP oppurtunities occur like early in the 1st when you just scored on the PP to take the 1-0 lead, then get another one where the Devils could really capatialize on their chances of taking that 2-goal lead. Then in the 3rd wth 7-minutes to go the Devils had a great chance on the PP to score and possibly win Game 2 to go up 2-0 in the series. Both times the PP failed. Parise did hit the post on the slapshot in the 3rd on that PP. That was huge for Ward and Carolina.

Just like the crowd, ithink the devils kinda flogged their minds up with " YOU SHOULD OF CALLED THAT PEN BEFORE" YADDA YADDA YADDA.

i felt the crowd was really into it, espically when the devils would be offside( when they weren't) and when the hurricanes can cross check, run offsides without being called, use high sticks it was impossible for the devils to have mommentuem. I'm reading that people dont think the devils played physical, i think they did. So did the canes, yet you saw them get the pen calls.

Lets hope for a rebound in a place where we have a hard time playing in.

oh, and WTF up with the invisible goalie interference call, im watching the replay right now and what a dumb call.

First off I don't appreciate being called an idiot, completely uncalled for, second what on earth does this loss have anything to do with who gets the C on their jersey?, This was by far one of the worst overtimes in Devils history. But I do have to agree with you on one thing, not scoring on the power play doesn't help out either, its inexcusable, it has always been a weakness for the Devils.

Why are you defending an a dude that has spent how many years posting only after Marty Loses to say how much he sucks?

And Triumph, people are frustrated, including myself, that a team is 2 for their last 27 on the PP.

Anyone can talk about moral victories or playing well. The bottom line is the Devils held the Canes to 2 goals in 6 periods, and the series is still tied 1-1. The team has now lost their second best forward this year and the series moves to Carolina.

Edited by devilsrule33

Why are you defending an a dude that has spent how many years posting only after Marty Loses to say how much he sucks?

And Triumph, people are frustrated, including myself, that a team is 2 for their last 27 on the PP.

Anyone can talk about moral victories or playing well. The bottom line is the Devils held the Canes to 2 goals in 6 periods, and the series is still tied 1-1. The team has now lost their second best forward this year and the series moves to Carolina.

I'm not defending him but Marty has not been sharp against the canes especially in OT.....what is he 0-5 against them?

I'm not defending him but Marty has not been sharp against the canes especially in OT.....what is he 0-5 against them?

Also of note is that Patrik Elias has been on the losing side of those games as well, so I think he should be blamed as well. Massive suckage by Elias. Crap player.

Yeah, the OT goal was totally Marty's fault. :rolleyes:

Obviously everyone thinks I'm bashing Marty.....I'M NOT!!!! I'm just saying that the Devs haven't had the best luck against Carolina in regular season and playoffs. We pretty much proved that in 2002 and 2006. I know they beat them in game 1 and I give them full credit for it, but when you have plenty of power plays such as game 2 and can't put the puck in the net you don't win hockey games. The power play has always been a weakness on this team. Inexcusable

you are cherry picking again. the point is that the power play was very good in game 2. it's undeniable. complaining about games that already happened is fruitless.