GDT: Canes at Devs... 7:30PM ROUND 1 GAME 2 MSG+

BlizzardCyclone

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We lost a game 2-1 in overtime,this was not a 5-1 blow out,Did you really think we were going to sweep carolina?Wake the Hell up this is going 6 maybe 7 game's.They came out flat--Blah Blah--Blah.We can't win without Jamie Blah-- Blah--Blah .Marty suck's--Geo suck's Havilt suck's.The only thing that suck's are some of our fan's.How about,support your team when they lose as well !!

Not sure if this was a shot at me or the board in general but I wasn't expecting this to be a sweep. I know it's going to be a tough series. The Devils looked flat in ot tonight. I just want to beat the candycanes down to the f**kin ground in game 3.

That OT was crap. The Canes came out hard and the Devs looked like they didn't want to play anymore.

Anyways, does anyone have any information on Langs? I saw that Elias was paired with Parise and Zajac and was wondering what happened.

I believe Cangy said it was a upper body injury? maybe I'm wrong that's what I thought I heard him say.

Sutter himself needs to step-up. He got out coached tonight by Maurice falling in love with line matching essentially allowing the canes to dictate who the devils played.

Starting the Madden line in OT was a brutal decision. It gave control to the Canes. It was the equivilant as a football coach electing to kick off and play defense to start OT. What is more puzzling about it is almost every OT game this year he started his top pair of Parise and Elias. Why not start that line tonight and put pressure on the Canes to start ot? He fell too in love with line matching even though the Madden line was borderline bad tonight.

Guys, I talked to Cangelosi after the game. Langs is out for game 3 at the very least. Rolston should be up with Parise and Zajac, and Holik will of course be in. Obviously the loss is disappointing and losing Langs hurts, but they have to pull together and steal a game down there. What's done is done. Let's forget it and move on.

I don't know who isn't supporting the team. Some are just venting because of the loss -- which is totally normal.

I dont think Rolston and Zubrus can be on the same line.

I'm happy Brent called out ROlston in the post-game. He's right.

Parise-Zajac-Rolston

Elias-Zubrus-Gionta

Pando-Madden-Shanny

Rupp-Holik-Clarkson

This has nothing to do with the winning goal. at all.

See I would've preferred to see Sutter do something like that tonight -- move Rolston up to the first line -- after Jamie went down. I didn't like seeing him move Elias up there, which messed up the second line.

pandolfo started the OT. he'll play on sunday. assuming langs doesn't play, holik goes in on the 4th line and just have to pray that rolston-zubrus-gionta can figure it out. the truth is, i'd actually think about putting clarkson or (gulp) rolston on w/ zach and zajac. why mess up two lines - the elias/zubrus/gionta line had chances and have chemistry. you could tell that elias did NOT with ZZ.

i can't imagine jamie playing - inside the arena the word was it was his groin.

this was an even game - i'm not thrilled with the refs - both zajac calls were weak. the zubrus call shouldn't have been made and it was the wrong call anyway if you're going to call something. the icing in OT that led to the Canes goal was also crap as babchuk took the wrong route first which would have intercepted the puck and then he skated 1/2 assed to get the puck anyway.

there were several other calls for both teams i thought the refs missed.

that being said, i don't think they really cost the game. it was pretty even. the devils dominated stretches and so did the canes. the good news is, the canes stretches were generally when the devils got held out for long shifts. even up, the devils played better and i felt had more of the play. but the canes defense played well and collapsed in front of ward.

the "no heart" in OT was also crap. the canes played well and were able to move the puck and keep pressure on. the devils did the same thing the other night. part of it is playing well and making the right decisions where the puck needs to go and part is the other team not making the play that needs to be made (note i didn't say the "right" play b/c a lot of this is guessing right or wrong).

sure i'm bummed they lost. but i'm not killing them over this one. i said this series was going 7 and i see no reason to change my mind. the devils will have to get one in carolina - they were always going to have to get at least one there.

let's hope its sunday to take the pressure off.

fvck THIS fvckING sh!t OF THIS TEAM.

THEY SHOULD HAVE WON THIS fvckING sh!t OF A GAME. THIS REALLY PISEES ME OFF.

YAY GO DEVILS, :noclue:

You're right they should have won it, Stall scores a lucky goal off the boards and right to his stick, on top of that and Langs and Pando both got injured which hurt the team even more. It was a very unfortunate night for the Devils. Just hope for them to bounce back in Game 3.

Well it was a great game till overtime, where as usual the team was spineless and gutless when it really mattered.

Carolina knew they were going to win and the Devils knew they were going to lose and both teams played like it. The Devils made their own mess, they better clean it up in Carolina or it's going to be another long summer.

Just came out and got run over in OT. They had nothing. It was unexcusable.

Something tells me for them to come out that flat, they got some bad news on Langenbrunner and had a mental lapse. There's no excuse for anything else.

Only thing about getting eliminated is that Gionta will have played his last game as a Devil along with Havelid.

Eliminated?? did I miss something? the Devils are done??????? :noclue:

What the hell it is 1 game and the series is even. the Devils dominated Wed. outplayed them for 45 of the 60 tonight (Ward played much better than he did on Wed) and we lost our Captain and were outplayed for 3 minutes in )OT this series is by no means over, we split in Carolina and win game 5 and go from there

Edited by PaDevsFan

Well it was a great game till overtime, where as usual the team was spineless and gutless when it really mattered.

Carolina knew they were going to win and the Devils knew they were going to lose and both teams played like it. The Devils made their own mess, they better clean it up in Carolina or it's going to be another long summer.

If this team drops another series to Carolina i'm going to put my foot right through my tv set

That is what happens when you start the OT period with an old, slow checking line. If Sutter starts Zajac, Parise, Elias I think there is a different result. Certainly it would have gone on longer. By starting Madden and Pandolfo Sutter basically let the 'Canes dicate the start and the Devils ended up running around.

oh please. how many of these players were around for when the devils have been historically bad in overtime. 3? 4? the canes had some good shifts in overtime, that's all there is to it.

i think sundstrom pretty much said everything i was going to say. i'm not a fan of a rolston-zubrus-gionta line - unorthodoxly, i just thought of a parise-zajac-zubrus line, where zubrus provides the forechecking ability of langenbrunner. sutter's going to have to consider who to play there, and i just don't think it can be elias.

The Fan Fest thing was great! And I was sure that really was U2 playing.. I loved seeing the stands packed and only saw one Canes guy there.. Crowd was very energized the entire game..

It was a tough game to watch.. The Canes definitely showed the Devils they can play aggressively and not get beat up as was the case in game 1.. The game just went downhill for the Devils.. They started the game playing like they did in game 1, and finished the game playing like they did when they had that losing streak near the end of the season.. Marty was great though so I have to give him a ton of credit there..

The Devils need to come out playing smart, intense hockey in game 3.. They won't be at home so they'll need to get on the Canes early.. We've said it most of the season, the Devils win when they bury the other team early.. They also need to play consistently well and not this up and down stuff..

I'm not going to panic.. The series is tied, so I think they just need to refocus and they'll win game 3.. It's gonna be all good

IT's alright, hopefully Jamie puts a patch on his helmet and plays the next game.

Oh goooooood, enough of the NO HEART bullsh!t. Why is it everytime they lose, they have no heart? Some of you are retarded.

They made mistakes in OT, nothing to do with heart.

Bottom line is, Rolston and Zubrus has to step up.

I s'pose Holik's going to get in Sunday for Jay?...

Should have never gone to OT what 1 for 6 or 7 on the Power play?? The Canes took a couple of bad ones but knew we were inept on the Power play and it wasnt going to hurt them. Hitting Gio like that?? getting a rough?? It was clear they had no respect for the Devils power play, and why should they??

That is what happens when you start the OT period with an old, slow checking line. If Sutter starts Zajac, Parise, Elias I think there is a different result. Certainly it would have gone on longer. By starting Madden and Pandolfo Sutter basically let the 'Canes dicate the start and the Devils ended up running around.

he had been matching that line all game - they hadn't done a terrible job against the staal line (nor were they excellent of course, but you couldn't expect that to continue). and parise zajac and elias got absolutely nothing done in the OT.

Anyone think Parise and Zajac were exhausted near the end of the game? Both of them were out there for the longest time all season, and maybe they weren't ready for it. I don't know if that is the case or perhaps Elias on the line didn't work, but those guys were non-factors late in the game.

Just throwing it out there. One thing I do know is that line has to be broken up. Elias needs to stay with Gionta, and maybe Rolston. Like it's been said move Zubrus (pathetic I know) up.

That new second line has no business being out there together ever again.

he had been matching that line all game - they hadn't done a terrible job against the staal line (nor were they excellent of course, but you couldn't expect that to continue). and parise zajac and elias got absolutely nothing done in the OT.

They got absolutely none because they were stuck trying to get the puck form the 'Canes in the defensive zone because of Madden line before it. The Madden line basically gave the puck up to the 'Canes and by the time they finally got the puck out it was time for a change that basically let the 'Canes back into the Devils zone.

I know Sutter was line matching all game and I had a problem with it for most of the game. The Madden line did not do a over good job tonight. he Staal line was able to cycle to puck and wear down the defense. There was one point late in the second where ha line got stuck out there a long time and were lucky to have not given up a goal. Also with about 45 seconds to go the 'Canes iced the puck and instead of sending out an offensive line to try to get he late goal to win he matched up and sent Madden and Pandolfo out. He matched up the entire game and it was disgusting. It might have worked game one but at this point in their careers those three aren't going to keep up with the Staal line over a 7 game series nor are the going to chip in enough goals to justify the constant line matching.

At one point you have to try and go best on best. In this case Zajac and Elias are good defensively, and Parise is decent. You don' lose much defense by going best on best to start OT and try to put pressure on the opposition.

Eliminated?? did I miss something? the Devils are done??????? :noclue:

No PP, no PK, and looking like they did in OT and they will be.

Totally unexcusable to get dominated like that in an OT in the playoffs.

I said before the series started that i think it would be a tall order for this team to win 2-3 games in Raleigh, considering it's been a house of horrors for the Devils. If they stay out of the box, get the PP going and avoid any lapses like the OT, i think they can split. It can be done, but it's going to be a tough task.

You're going to see how much leadership and fortitude they have now without Langenbrunner. You're going to see how much a guy like Shanahan means in the locker room and if Rolston steps up after being called out. You can throw Gionta and Zubrus in that as well. We are going to find out what they are made of in the next two games, just like October when Brodeur went down.

Also, let's not leave out Brodeur. He is going to have to steal a game in Raleigh in this series. No question there. Anyone remember the last time Brodeur stole a playoff game? 2003?

everyone wishing for best on best will see a lot of it the next two games as i'm sure maurice will try to keep staal away from madden. it will be up to lines 1 & 2 to deal with it. that being said, the best way to keep them off the scoresheet is to make THEM play defense.

look in general i am not a fan of line matching, but it has worked so far - the staal line has no even strength goals as yet. now i know that shift in the 2nd was awful, but amazingly the devils did keep the 'canes to the outside and managed to not take a penalty either. to go strength on strength might mean losing what pandolfo and madden are supposedly good at - there was just no reason to deviate from the plan. the madden line had spent a decent amount of time in the 'canes end as well (madden and pandolfo combined for 4 shots, shanahan has 4 but i think at least 2 of those were on the PP).

i don't think sutter has anything to be upset about in this game, really.