LAMORIELLO SHOULD LET DEVILS COACH OUT OF HIS CONTRACT

Maddog

didn't sutter refute that he wanted to coach calgary yesterday with TG?

its just as much out of respect FOR sutter that lou let him make his choice.

the fact that the contract is three years really means anything only in the sense that he couldn't go to another team in that time.

these were always 1 year deals for sutter (he's said so a million times) - i don't think its 100% that next year would be his last even if he came back.

some of brooks' choices for his replacement were awful though.

Typical Brooks speculation. The journalists should leave Sutter alone for a bit. He stated he'd evaluate things as he always does during the summer. Let the man think, spend time with his family, and come to his decision.

If he decides not to, there have to be better options than these:

So who's next? Well, Peter Laviolette, whose name is in the mix in Montreal, certainly would be a viable candidate.

Please no.

Knowing Lamoriello's penchant for hiring former Canadiens, Guy Carbonneau probably would be on the list.

Didn't he get fired because his team was playing like crap and he couldn't coach them out of it?

Todd Richards, the San Jose assistant, is the hot candidate around the league.

Don't know enough about him. Anyone?

Then there's Jacques Lemaire, free after stepping down in Minnesota to return to the organization he put on the NHL map in 1993-94. It is almost inconceivable that Lamoriello would hire a coach who is wedded to the trap, but there is a history between the men; a bond and a trust. That's why it's essential to include "almost" as a qualifier.

I think Jacques is burnt out on coaching.

I don't know. I kind of don't think this is worth talking about until he stops being ambivalent and decides he wants to stay or go.

I don't think Carbonneau got a fair shot with the players he had/injuries he had/soft guys he had.

With that said, there's really no one out there I'd want. If there was someone Lou thought could do the job, I think Lou would have no problem bringing them in.

larry brooks is a moron.

carbonneau was not a good coach, HOI, or at least i didn't think so from the montreal games i watched. he left sergei kostitsyn in the lineup way too long, he put robert lang on the power play point, sometimes it was hard to understand what he was doing. also given just how awesome mark streit was last season it sure seems like he didn't get enough ice time.

Edited by Triumph

tom renney, anyone?

Ugh, no. That would be the true nightmare scenario. For starters Renney also runs the trap and he was fired twice as a head coach without any real success. Not to mention he was the Ranger head coach for years and would never be accepted here. That would be like the Rangers hiring Bryan Trottier, doomed to failure from the start.

Edited by NJDevs26

didn't brooksie just say a few weeks ago that sutter would never leave as coach because he didn't complete what he came here for?? (stanley coupe) the man is an asswipe and knows mike knuble is the last piece of the rangers SC puzzle (just like holik and Gomer) he likes to hear himself talk. I'm sure lou reads his stuff and takes larry's advice to heart.

do you know what is really stupid about this entire thing?

the calgary flames had a job opening 2 years ago! brent sutter either was never offered that job or passed on it. why are we all of the sudden assuming he wants to go there?

I think its the "home sick" sentiment that is driving the rumors now.