Devils avoid arbitration and re-sign Travis Zajac to multi-year contra

Maddog

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bright spot in a dark off-season.

yeah an off-season where we signed johnny oduya and travis zajac long-term. so dark.

yeah .. we truly upgraded our team. .. pleeze tri Im giving it a break to somewhere after xmas ... dont get me going again.

the devils could've signed jay bouwmeester and marian gaborik and you'd still be on here complaining. the devils have had a very good off-season so far. they haven't done anything stupid, which is half the battle.

A bright spot in a dark off-season.

What's been so dark about it?

Did you want Gionta back at the money Montreal gave him?

Did you want Madden back? And Rupp?

Wasn't re-signing Oduya a bright spot?

Is it so terrible that some new blood is coming into the lineup? This team has won two playoff rounds since winning the '03 Cup. I'm all for some change.

Yeah but they didn't even make gionta an offer. You don't think he would have considered taking less to save his family the trouble of the move? I find it strange Lou didn't even make a low offer any offer at all...

Even if he was willing to take less, how much less would it have been? Not to mention that his goal-scoring totals had declined for four straight seasons. I don't think Lou wanted him back, and with former first-rounder Bergfors looking like he's ready to become a full-time NHLer, I think it was the right time to move on.

I could just imagine the complaints if Gio got re-signed for another 4 million. People are already all over Lou about Pandolfo and Zubrus. Gio was a Devil, no doubt. A ton of heart and all, but it was time to move on. Same with Madden.

the devils could've signed jay bouwmeester and marian gaborik and you'd still be on here complaining. the devils have had a very good off-season so far. they haven't done anything stupid, which is half the battle.

fact still remains ..we are not a better team then last year and several teams around us got better.... cmon im really trying to let it go til next year.

according to the NHLPA site:

http://nhlpa.com/WebStats/PlayerBiography.asp?ID=28348

09/10 Compensation: $984,200.00

That seems low, I dunno if its been updated or not, but wow if thats his actual salary.

That's last year's salary. I think they're just using it as a placeholder.

Figured as such. I checked some of the usual sites (NHLNumbers etc) to see if it was last years, but the places I checked all had it removed as he was RFA.

Very happy with this move. I think my next Devils jersey is decided.

Terms Per TG:

Zajac signed a four-year contract for a total of $15.55 million or an average -- and cap hit of -- $3,887,500. It pays him $2.75 million in 2009-10, $3.5 million in 2010-11, $4.5 million in 2011-12 and $4.8 million in 2012-13.

I'll take that

fact still remains ..we are not a better team then last year and several teams around us got better.... cmon im really trying to let it go til next year.

If only Lou would have followed your plan....oh wait....you've never actually OFFERED one, you just criticize EVERY move!

I'm all for disagreement with the popular opinion (if it is that), I'm just sick of hearing this rant without hearing what should have been done.

blah, blah, Kool aid, the rest of us are all blind, etc....

I was hoping for closer to 3.5mil/per but 3.9 still isn't unreasonable. Great news to hear Lou and Travis worked out a deal at the 11th hour here!

Only thing now is I hope Parise doesn't feel resentful about being much better than travis yet being paid .5 mil less on average.

As an after-thought however, Travis is signed into his UFA years so i guess the extra money paid for the extra year. WAY TO GO LOU!

Drinkin the kool-aid always pays off in the end!!! :koolaid::koolaid::koolaid:

Terms Per TG:

Zajac signed a four-year contract for a total of $15.55 million or an average -- and cap hit of -- $3,887,500. It pays him $2.75 million in 2009-10, $3.5 million in 2010-11, $4.5 million in 2011-12 and $4.8 million in 2012-13.

Can someone give me a brief rundown on how Front or Back Loaded contracts affect the cap. Is it just structured that way for Tradeability in younger guys and the retirement hit for guys that sign at 34 into the retirement years?