Memo to Lou: Sign Malhotra already

Triumph

Training camp starts in one month, and the Devils are horribly short-handed at center. Their depth chart is Zajac, Zubrus, Pelley, Walter, Swift, Sestito. That's simply unacceptable. Moving Elias or Rolston to center isn't much of a solution, either - both players will have to be kept out of the defensive zone.

I like to talk about Corsi numbers and how terrible the Corsi numbers players like Pandolfo, Madden, Pahlsson, and Moen (to name 4) are. One thing which I haven't been factoring in is how often these players take defensive-zone faceoffs. It's only natural that players who take a lot of draws in the defensive zone are going to have more shots against than shots for - just look at the numbers here: http://www.puckprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=239 - basically defensive-zone faceoffs are much more important than I had previously thought.

This article, too, seems to indicate that Jacques Lemaire is extremely cognizant of who gets out on the ice in certain situations: http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=3185

The Devils desperately need a player like this, and if they get shut out, there are few places they could trade for something like it. Malhotra's asking price might be too high, but the Devils really have to jump on signing him if his price falls below $2 million per season. 3 years is as far as I would go, what with Cormier and Josefson coming up, but Lou has got to make some kind of a move. Malhotra is by far the best one left.

Edited by Triumph

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't disagree.... the one thing I worried about with Madden gone was a legit key faceoff guy, i haven't looked at Mahlotra's numbers in FO's, but I would think he's better by anyone on our team if by default even.....It just makes sense

me, i'd have the lines like this:

parise-zajac-langenbrunner

elias-zubrus-clarkson

rolston-malhotra-bergfors

PL

i don't know that i agree with zubrus as a 2nd line center, clarkson getting 2nd line minutes, and rolston playing on the 3rd line. clarkson seems better suited for the 3rd line and PP time. maybe this would be ok if you switched clarkson and rolston.

i would really like to see what bergfors can do for us, but i thought the devils best bet for a second line center would be through a trade and bergfors would have had to be included in it, keeping elias and rolston as the 2nd line wings.

Rolston's at his best as a left winger, though. And since he's not getting first or second line minutes with Parise and Elias ahead of him at the position, you can either move him to center or right wing, or have him as the third line left wing...I think it's worth it to see what he can do from his preferred position on the third line, personally.

Rolston's at his best as a left winger, though. And since he's not getting first or second line minutes with Parise and Elias ahead of him at the position, you can either move him to center or right wing, or have him as the third line left wing...I think it's worth it to see what he can do from his preferred position on the third line, personally.

i guess if i was just looking at the lines tri posted, i would be ok with it as they are, though i think i'd switch clarkson and bergfors.

there's no 'second line centers' on the market. dainius zubrus will have to suffice. like mulholland drive - 'this is the guy'.

i don't think the devils can trade bergfors for a 2nd line center. they desperately need cheap players like him, and i don't think there's a big demand for a player like bergfors even so.

btw, i think clarkson/bergfors switching is fine as well.

Edited by Triumph

me, i'd have the lines like this:

parise-zajac-langenbrunner

elias-zubrus-clarkson

rolston-malhotra-bergfors

PL³-pelley-shanahan

with pandolfo/pikkarainen rotating in as needed.

What line would be the checking line? You can't have the Malhotra line being the checking line, do you really trust Bergfors against other teams top lines? If I had it my way there wouldn't be any checking lines and we would just match out top line against the opponents but Lemaire will match lines against each other. A more likely set of line combination's would be

Edit: Nvm I just saw your post where you said you don't mind if Clarkson and Bergfors switch.

Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunne

Elias-Zubrus-Bergfors

Rolston-Malhotra-Clarkson

Pando-Pelley-Shanny

This way the line with Malhotra Is responsible in our own zone and can provide offense.

Edited by Devs4LIFE

I'm not sure about how I feel signing Malhotra to a multi-year deal. The cap is going down next year, and Martin, Clarkson, and Bergfors all need to be resigned. Could the Devils swing this?

If Lou doesn't sign someone, and Elias plays center, are there any pending UFA centers that we can trade for at the deadline? The only one that I can think of is Marleau, but I think that he'll be out of our range. Plus, he's not really known for being a great playoff performer anyway.

What line would be the checking line? You can't have the Malhotra line being the checking line, do you really trust Bergfors against other teams top lines? If I had it my way there wouldn't be any checking lines and we would just match out top line against the opponents but Lemaire will match lines against each other. A more likely set of line combination's would be

Edit: Nvm I just saw your post where you said you don't mind if Clarkson and Bergfors switch.

Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunne

Elias-Zubrus-Bergfors

Rolston-Malhotra-Clarkson

Pando-Pelley-Shanny

This way the line with Malhotra Is responsible in our own zone and can provide offense.

the concept of a pure checking line is dead in the NHL now and a waste of time to devote a line to it... the less effort we put into one the better off we are!

OK guys i only have one question.We have been making threads like that suggesting names for now almost a

month and a half and every time we make a new thread the name in it is much less convincing because players

get signed and we have what's left to make a new thread with it.But the only thing i want to understand is

why is Lou doing nothing to sign a second or even third line center??? He is trying to trade something???

I don't see who he would trade from the actual roster and also for who he would trade it.Is Lou preparing

something or is he just too confident about the young guns coming up???

the concept of a pure checking line is dead in the NHL now and a waste of time to devote a line to it... the less effort we put into one the better off we are!

Well played Crasher B ) Now that you can't touch forwards, in this new NHL you have to have a threat to make players like Crosby, Malkin, Zetterberg, Datsyuk think that the lines they are playing against also pose a threat that you can get scored on. It will make them think twice about going all out offense and be a little more accountable towards their defence = restricting their attack for the fear of getting one put in the back of their own net = they won't be so eager to run-and-gun as much as they'd like to.

I agree! Malhotra would be a good asset to are team!But i also agree with NJTommo44's point

:I'm not sure about how I feel signing Malhotra to a multi-year deal. The cap is going down next year, and Martin, Clarkson, and Bergfors all need to be resigned. Could the Devils swing this?

There are malhotra's stats:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=25931

do you really want Malhotra and Zubrus signed for multiple years when the cap goes down? If you can get him for 2 million or under, then go for it, it's a bargain but any more than that and no dice. You don't have to go for it all every year. There's planning for the future

do you really want Malhotra and Zubrus signed for multiple years when the cap goes down? If you can get him for 2 million or under, then go for it, it's a bargain but any more than that and no dice. You don't have to go for it all every year. There's planning for the future

Excelent point. If he signs for $2 mil thats fine. I'd like a 1 year deal with a team option for the 2nd year.

the cap is NOT going down

get that out of your head

it may and SHOULD stay the same (the idea the cap HAS to go up each year is idiotic too.....)