Behind the BlackBerry Boss's Hockey Brawl

overtime98

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/09_36/b4145000470048.htm

Now, Balsillie is brawling with the National Hockey League over whether he can acquire an NHL team. Worth about $2.5 billion from his stock in RIM, he's offered $213 million to buy the Phoenix Coyotes out of bankruptcy and move the team to Hamilton, Ont., a city of 500,000 about an hour from the BlackBerry maker's offices. But the NHL doesn't want another team squeezed between those in Toronto, Buffalo, and Detroit, and it says Balsillie lacks the "good character and integrity" to be an NHL owner.

The franchise's move to Arizona certainly hasn't worked out financially. Once the Winnipeg Jets, the team left for Phoenix in 1996 as part of NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman's strategy to broaden hockey's appeal. But the team has lost $300 million since the move, in the face of tepid fan support. The Coyotes' attendance averages 76% of capacity, well below the league's average.

I personally wouldn't care that much if he gets the team.

Hamilton >> Phoenix as a market for hockey, and the guy seems to wants to make a great franchise. His bid is way over the NHL's offer and the season ticket base will be there.

It can not be any worse than Phoenix, only better.

It may mess up the conferences a bit (either Hamilton/Toronto, Pittsburgh or Atlanta gets allocated to the west?)

Edited by aylbert

I personally wouldn't care that much if he gets the team.

Hamilton >> Phoenix as a market for hockey, and the guy seems to wants to make a great franchise. His bid is way over the NHL's offer and the season ticket base will be there.

It can not be any worse than Phoenix, only better.

Exactly hes got big ideas for the team that wont ever be realized if its kept in Arizona.

the importance of the bid amount is to pay off creditors. anything over that goes into jerry moyes' (current "owner") wallet who has been instrumental in the bs financial situation of the team (along with a tough building lease).

the reason the league is trying to shut out balsille is that they don't want to set a precedent for an owner to use bankruptcy as a tool to relocate a franchise without the league's approval.

Give Phoenix a chance, and a winning team, to show they can support their team. They just got a new arena afterall. Let them prove themselves.

I didnt know Gary Bettman was on this forum?.............. haha

I'm surprised, considering how close the Devils came to moving in '95, at how little sympathy there is here for the Coyotes and their fans. All this "they don't have any fans", "we gave it enough time" stuff was all said for us back then too.

As for the guy who said California has three teams, their fans will just adopt one of them - If the Devils moved, would you become a Rangers fan? A Flyers fan?

Didn't think so.

I'm surprised, considering how close the Devils came to moving in '95, at how little sympathy there is here for the Coyotes and their fans. All this "they don't have any fans", "we gave it enough time" stuff was all said for us back then too.

As for the guy who said California has three teams, their fans will just adopt one of them - If the Devils moved, would you become a Rangers fan? A Flyers fan?

Didn't think so.

at least we were a good team though and I don't think we lost $300 million while our owner tried to sell us away but wasn't allowed by the league

at least we were a good team though and I don't think we lost $300 million while our owner tried to sell us away but wasn't allowed by the league

Exactly! Give Phoenix something better than the 80's version of the Devils and see how they do. It's pretty obvious that the current ownership in Phoenix is both corrupt and inept and the team sucks. Considering all of that, they are doing pretty well getting anyone to come out to watch.

Also, the losses would be nowhere near where they are if Moyes wasn't overpaying his other companies for transportation and office space that wasn't needed. In the end, I think a good portion of that $300 million will be shown to be lost equity for Moyes as opposed to debt.

if you listen to people around here, they would've been in favor of the devils moving to canada because canada just deserves another team.

I don't recall Gary Bettman ever going to bat for the Devils the way he has for the Coyotes. I don't remember him going to bat for the Jets or the Nordiques either.

I don't recall Gary Bettman ever going to bat for the Devils the way he has for the Coyotes. I don't remember him going to bat for the Jets or the Nordiques either.

Because all 3 teams needed new buildings and Bettman made it clear it was a must to survive. That and Bettman foaming at the mouth to get a team in Phoenix and Colorado.

I'm still of the belief had the Devils not won, they would have been gone for sure. It still was very, very close even with winning the Cup.

Edited by SJP20

Because all 3 teams needed new buildings and Bettman made it clear it was a must to survive. That and Bettman foaming at the mouth to get a team in Phoenix and Colorado.

I'm still of the belief had the Devils not won, they would have been gone for sure. It still was very, very close even with winning the Cup.

Definitely. I remember going to the Cup parade with the cloud hanging over our heads that it still wasn't a given we'd see the banner raised in Jersey the next fall.

Bettman was and is all about Southern expansion. Devils to Nashville, Jets to Phoenix, Nords to Denver, they all fit that mold. Yotes to Hamilton doesn't.

I don't know, I'm starting to realize that most of our fan base doesn't remember 1995 because they were too young. I sympathize with the Coyote fans because I remember what it was like to be in their shoes.

Definitely. I remember going to the Cup parade with the cloud hanging over our heads that it still wasn't a given we'd see the banner raised in Jersey the next fall.

Winning the Cup was the best leverage imaginable.

I remember that parade well. The fear. When the parade started we still screamed our heads off. I remember McMullen going on record saying the parade and seeing the passion from the fans made him reconsider moving. That and the NJSEA giving in.

Christie Todd Whitman played an important role (along with her husband) in keeping the Devils in NJ.

Edited by SJP20

Bettman was and is all about Southern expansion. Devils to Nashville, Jets to Phoenix, Nords to Denver, they all fit that mold. Yotes to Hamilton doesn't.

I don't know, I'm starting to realize that most of our fan base doesn't remember 1995 because they were too young. I sympathize with the Coyote fans because I remember what it was like to be in their shoes.

Hmm, he also seemed to work pretty hard to keep Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Ottawa and Edmonton where they are. Besides, this has nothing to do with Phoenix anymore. It has to do with the NHL having control over who owns their franchises and where they play.

bettman is not 'going to bat for the coyotes' - he is going to bat for the owners' interests. odds are in a year or two there will no longer be an NHL team in phoenix. as i see it, this has little to do with the 'southern strategy'.

Edited by Triumph

You are correct I remember that also. We were very close to playing in Nashville!

Winning the Cup was the best leverage imaginable.

I remember that parade well. The fear. When the parade started we still screamed our heads off. I remember McMullen going on record saying the parade and seeing the passion from the fans made him reconsider moving. That and the NJSEA giving in.

Christie Todd Whitman played an important role (along with her husband) in keeping the Devils in NJ.

I remember that very well also!!! :D

When I was 11, we went to Trenton for a class trip and we got to meet Cristie Todd Whitman and have a little photo-op with her. I nervously asked her if she would try and keep the Devils in New Jersey, and she said that she'd do everything that she could...you're welcome.