Analysis Of Ducks-devils

Triumph

Well, here we are, the Stanley Cup Finals. Hard to believe the Devils are here... I would've thought it possible, but highly unlikely.. circumstances were favorable for the Devils, and they never quit.. now to play a team just like themselves that never quit, the Anaheim Mighty Ducks.

Forwards: The forward lines for the Ducks have been Kariya-Oates-Sykora, Chistov-Pahlsson-Thomas, Leclerc-Rucchin-R. Niedermayer, Bylsma-Chouinard-I forget his name, but the 4th line was almost never used by Mike Babcock in any series. The Ducks roll three lines of solid players, but the only big players up front are Leclerc, Rucchin, and Rob Niedermayer; a daunting checking line with speed and skill. We all know the Devils have.. the teams are similar in that the Devs checking line could also be a 3rd offensive line..but the Devils use their 4th line whereas the Ducks don't, and the Devils second offensive line is better.. Edge: Devils

Defense: Anaheim has been using Carney-Salei, Ozolinsh-Sauer, and Vishnevsky-Havelid as its defensive pairings. Havelid sometimes plays with Carney instead of Salei. These guys have shown no weakness during the postseason, demonstrating a surprising ability to get the puck out of the zone.. especially Ozo and Sauer, since Ozolinsh has traditionally had trouble with making good passes, and Sauer's a rookie who was -20 during the regular season. We all know what the Devils have.. a weak third pairing but strong first two pairings who did not buckle under pressure against the Sens. Edge: Devils

Goaltending: Gigeure. Brodeur. I defy any of you to call this one. Edge: Even.

Special teams: Ducks penalty killing has been good, I think, I'm too lazy to check, but their power play has been poor. Devils penalty killing and power play has been stellar througout the playoffs, though their PP has slowed of late. The Ducks PP was lethal during the regular season, and they have players more capable of running a PP than the Devils do.. but the Devils penalty kill is also better. Edge: Even.

Intangibles: Anaheim has players like Oates and Thomas who have played 15+ NHL seasons without winning a Stanley Cup. The Devils have players like Stevens and Nieuwendyk whose last chance might be this year. The only Devils without a cup ring are Friesen, Tverdovsky, Rheaume, Smehlik, Gionta, Schwab, Stevenson, McKenzie, and Bicek. The only Anaheim players with Stanley Cup rings that I can think of are Sykora and Sandis Ozolinsh, who won one in 95-96 with the Avalanche. Edge: Even

Coaching: Babcock has gotten the most out of every single player on his roster. Burns has not, as Gomez and Elias continue to get chances and continue to miss them. Burns is an excellent strategist, a great motivator, but at this time of year, I think a guy like Babcock is better. Edge: Ducks.

Prediction: Now, throw all that nonsense out the window, because I have no idea how to predict this. It could go from Devils in 4 to Ducks in 5, depending on Gigeure. Game 1 is absolutely huge, the Ducks have not been down in a playoff series this year, and the three Game 1s the Ducks have played have been a combined 10 OTs where the Ducks did not surrender a goal. If the Devils play like they did in Game 7, they can win this series, but they have to take play to the Ducks.. this could be a great series of 0-0 nailbiters.. I'm going to say Devils in 7, but honestly.. who knows. It depends on whether guys like Elias or Kariya can beat the lines assigned against them.. or whether guys like Sauer or Daneyko will break down at key times.. and most of all, it depends on Gigeure, who hasn't seem a team with the heart and skill of the Devils.

P.S. Burns, please put in Tverdovsky, I think he would work well against a Western Conference team.

The play of J-S during these playoffs has been nothing short of legendary.

Beating Detroit was understandable.

Sweeping them was unthinkable.

Anaheim beating Dallas was a joy to watch.

But still an extremely difficult task.

Who knows?

Maybe the long layoff has cooled off J-S?

Maybe the long layoff has cooled off J-S?

Therefore the importance of Game 1 . . . get on him hard and fast and take advantage of any rust. Cool him off and keep him that way.

Devils will win - whether in 5, 6 or 7 I don't know and don't care, though I hope they can clinch at home.

I think Tri's analysis shows that the Devs will be able to consistently beat the Ducks defense - on both ends.

Yeah, I know 3 other clubs didn't beat the team, but the goalkeeper was there to cover up for the D's miscues.

That's the area where we hold the largest margin of edge - it will be the difference.

If the Devils could contain the Senators "O" and find ways to break down their "D," it would be a step-backward to say that they cannot defeat the Ducks.

The true pivot here, of course, is J.S. However, I believe that all these games -- ALL of them -- will be 1-0 or 2-1 victories (for whoever the victor). This is truly Marty's biggest test as a goaltender. If he can play to J.S.'s level, the Devils skate with the Cup.

Devs in 6 (but I hope 5 if I get tix! :evil: ).

I think they beat Ott despite Dano. I mean if you're only gonna play the guy less than 9 minutes-why is he even in there. Also, when they are tied or behind they need OFFENSE. Give Tivo a shot w/ Albelin.

Devs gotta initiate more vs Ducks. Take it to them, put them on their heels

roll those four lines. Bicek did a decent job. Joe might not be ready for game 1. Lines I'd like to see

w/Joe

Freezer/Joe/Marshall

Elias/Gomer/Bicek or Gionta

Pando/Madden/Langs

Brylin/Rheaume/Gionta or Bicek

no Joe

Freezer/Brylin/Marshall

Elias/Gomer/Gionta

Pando/Madden/Langs

McK or Rupp/Rheaume/Bicek

I'm sure Pat will be juggling a lot as needed.

Devs gotta initiate more vs Ducks. Take it to them, put them on their heels roll those four lines.

Agreed ... something I noticed during ECFs, was that NJ seemed

to be laying back, waiting for the Sens to initiate while in game seven, it appeared as though Burns allowed the frontliners to bring their forechecking deeper into the Sens zone.